Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

DA converted to SM

Post your army lists here!

Postby boomstick » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:01 pm

I also agree that you should stick with the Dark Angel Codex Ravenwing units are much better than normal marine bikers and worth the extra points and Khan may be the same points as Samuel but isn't as good, id much rather have him on whether on his bike or land speeder. In addition Khan can only run if he isn't in a unit so some of his cool abilities are wasted or he rides alone making him more vulnerable.
boomstick

Postby KInG » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Actually that is a good point which I over looked... he looses those abilities when joinging a unit.

But on the flip side, fearless bikes, small units of, are not as good as in 4th, as you now take extra wounds for not running away.

I might give the new dex a run out, just to compare them, but I certainly haven't written off the RW altogether just yet.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Spack » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi again boomstick, I guess you managed to get to your PC then :)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby boomstick » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:52 pm

Spack wrote:Hi again boomstick, I guess you managed to get to your PC then :)

Yeah kinda forced myself to do it.

And I'm very interested as to how this turns out and plays under a different codex. When are you planning on trying it out?
boomstick

Postby KInG » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Boomstick, Dan tells me ur his local GW store manager, good to talk to you.

Well with it being GD this weekend me and a friend are travelling down from Middlesbrough to meet up with Dan and his guys this weekend. We aregoing down on the Saturday and gaming at their club all day, sleeping over and then doing the show Sund b 4 driving back.

I am going to try both lists at the club if possible. So will report back after the weekend.

Surely you will be there Sunday, if so where will we find you? :)
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby AdrianG » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 pm

err Hi Boomstick. :)

Improved DA.... Somewhat worse off than Space Wolves.. :P
Collector of Space Wolves, and all round awful painter!

AdrianG's Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/AdrianG
AdrianG
Apprentice Lurker (Still)
Captain

Postby KInG » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:08 pm

How do u mean.. SW is a better codex than the new SM?
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby boomstick » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Yeah ill be there, not sure exactly where I'm going to be although the plan is to have me playing with the Lizardmen in the main arena area at the moment. So if you can find me then it would be cool to chat about it.

And hope nice things were said. :(
Last edited by boomstick on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boomstick

Postby AdrianG » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:27 pm

This was a big post, but I started to meander..
Abridged Version:
1. I'm using a 3rd Ed codex, and I can still hold my own against a lot of armies.
2. I don't see DA improving in ability by that much using the new Codex:SM.
3. On a "technicality", DA are a non codex chapter, and I would see use of the new book as creating a robe wearing Vanilla Marine chapter.
4. SW have an old codex which will only "improve" by virtue of vehicle points costs, however are still better IMHO than going down the path to Vanilla Marines.

Brains not fully engaging so it might take another dozen posts before I get you to understand what I mean :)
Collector of Space Wolves, and all round awful painter!

AdrianG's Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/AdrianG
AdrianG
Apprentice Lurker (Still)
Captain

Postby KInG » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:35 pm

lol.

I'm not too familiar with the SW codex choices, only some, but I see worth in moving to the SM dex with my DA list as it is.

Another big plus of Khan over Sammael, certainly on his jetbike, is the ability to join a unit. Sammael on jetbike is not an IC, therefore can't gain the protection of a unit. Tab onto this that the unit Khan joins gets furious charge, means even when assaulting into cover with the frags, I get to go 1st over the other SMs stood in the wood and I'll have two guys with S5 power weapons, one dishing out ID blows now and again.
Last edited by KInG on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:49 am

[quote="Angelwing"]fearless, extra units counting as troops etc).[/quote=] but you get the new always choose bit (and some provide options for stubborn if you want) and the extra bits as troops has been called extremely cheaty by some..meaning folks will complain to the GT lot and see if they can faq reverse it (apparently the US squad have already said they will..see that warseer thread on ravenwing speeders latest bit)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 am

KInG wrote:means even when assaulting into cover with the frags, I get to go 1st over the other SMs stood in the wood

just watch out for those Dangerous Terrain Tests (and dont forget that they can cause a charge to fail, and that they pick out individual models until contact is made). might be worth sending Khan in first (worst happens is that he loses a wound - he still gets to move into contact so the charge wont fail).

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby KInG » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:14 am

killmaimburn wrote:
Angelwing wrote:fearless, extra units counting as troops etc).
but you get the new always choose bit (and some provide options for stubborn if you want) and the extra bits as troops has been called extremely cheaty by some..meaning folks will complain to the GT lot and see if they can faq reverse it (apparently the US squad have already said they will..see that warseer thread on ravenwing speeders latest bit)

What is considered cheaty?
Which warseer speeder thread?

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:
KInG wrote:means even when assaulting into cover with the frags, I get to go 1st over the other SMs stood in the wood
just watch out for those Dangerous Terrain Tests (and dont forget that they can cause a charge to fail, and that they pick out individual models until contact is made). might be worth sending Khan in first (worst happens is that he loses a wound - he still gets to move into contact so the charge wont fail). ~ Tim

Yes, as Khan fights seperately in combat, the best thing to do would be split him in the movment phase just before charging.
Last edited by KInG on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:35 am

KInG wrote:
killmaimburn wrote:
Angelwing wrote:extra units counting as troops etc).

the extra bits as troops has been called extremely cheaty by some..

What is considered cheaty?

non-Troops and/or Vehicles counting as Scoring due to Combat Squads.
(i wont mention any names, but a staffer i have spoken to called this "retarded" despite Jervis' endorsement, so i expect others to react the same way...)

KInG wrote:Which warseer speeder thread?

Ravenwing, Tornados and Troops

KInG wrote:Yes, as Khan fights seperately in combat, the best thing to do would be split him in the movment phase just before charging.

i was saying to keep him with the squad and use him to garauntee that your charge doesnt fail through Difficult Terrain (by ensuring he is the closest model to the intended target, thereby allowing him to move first, where his multiple wounds allow him to make contact even if he fails his Dangerous Terrain test). :)

~ Tim
Last edited by LordMalekTheRedKnight on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby KInG » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 am

ah i see, yes that works better Tim, thx.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

PreviousNext

Return to 40K Army Lists

Social Links