Forgot Password?

Merchandise

FoW official GT - 3&4th Sept.

Discussion of anything 40K related

FoW official GT - 3&4th Sept.

Postby KInG » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:27 am

Anyone else going? Alan, Chris and myself have just got our tickets. :D

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... rt_id=2531
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: FoW official GT - 3&4th Sept.

Postby DaBoss » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:17 am

Nope - been away on customer site with no access to 'non business' sites.

Just purchased myself a ticket - torn between taking Cassino Fallshirmjager or British Armoured Recon...
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Blog: View Blog (43)

Postby KInG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:32 pm

excellant phil!

anymore from your club thinking about it?
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby DaBoss » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:52 pm

KInG wrote:excellant phil!

anymore from your club thinking about it?

No one from Armageddon Inc - have a mate from my other club 'Wycombe Warband' Paul going with either American Infantry 'Big Red 1' or a Light Tank Company of 17ish Stuarts.

Will be trying out our forces this coming thursday.
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby KInG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:25 pm

17 stuarts!!! omg, thats awsome. anything better than at7 in his list?
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby DaBoss » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:02 pm

KInG wrote:17 stuarts!!! omg, thats awsome. anything better than at7 in his list?

Think he squeezes in some Armoured Mortars and some kind of SP Artillery to deal with enemy heavy tanks.

His plan hinges around being the attack and rushing the defenders with the Stuarts MG's blazing...
Smoking any nasty Big Cats.

Has caught my Germans out a couple of times - knocking me out before my reserves could arrive, though he has never faced my Fallshirmjager with added Panzerfaust traps.
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby cgra1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 am

See Nigel, Tanks = Wins :lol: .

Hello DaBoss
Id be intrested to see the Panzerfaust traps in action. They sound good but im not certain the way they will play. Im puttng together a similar Fallshirmjager list to play the Cassino Campaign.
For the GT Im going to take an Old Fashioned British Rifle List as this will be my first Tournament and Im sticking with what I know. Not looking to place with it, just have fun. Im a bit nervous about the whole Historical accuracy bit as I dont really factor anything like this into my army selection. :oops:
cgra1

Postby DaBoss » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:30 am

cgra1 wrote:See Nigel, Tanks = Wins :lol: .

Hello DaBoss
Id be intrested to see the Panzerfaust traps in action. They sound good but im not certain the way they will play. Im puttng together a similar Fallshirmjager list to play the Cassino Campaign.

Yep - having looked through the Cassino book, I can imeediately jump into a campaign with my Fallshirmjager (though no Von der Heydte) without any painting as I have 900pts plus more.
The traps are great against Tank heavy armies and especially terrain heavy tables - just the threat of them jumping out of cover and not being 'defensive fired' makes some players very nervous.
Once stalled a Russian Tankovy Platoon of 10 x T-34/85's for 3 turns as I kept popping out of terrain as he moved into 'no mans land'; he finally had to circle my dudes with his remaining 6 tanks and mass MG them to death.

cgra1 wrote:For the GT Im going to take an Old Fashioned British Rifle List as this will be my first Tournament and Im sticking with what I know.

Now that would be an interesting matchup, my Tank Traps would be virtually worthless depending if you take any Tank Support?
But then Von der Heydte has some useful abilities other than the traps...so just 100pts that may not get used.
cgra1 wrote: Not looking to place with it, just have fun. Im a bit nervous about the whole Historical accuracy bit as I dont really factor anything like this into my army selection. :oops:

I'm basically going for fun, if I do well it's a bonus - as to the historical accuracy, I wouldn't worry, the army lists force an 'accurate' composition (except Fortress Europe - with is very flexible).
This bit is really to enable those that are really into it deeply, to model and paint specifics and allows the organisers to differentiate the top winners when it comes to drawn points.
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby KInG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Should be a great day regardless. Ill have to let you win this time phil if we get to fight again as I still feel badly about KMB persuading us both I was right on the skimmer debate in a ruin
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby cgra1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 am

:D yes he seems to be "Letting everybody beat him" lately :wink:
cgra1

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Hiding his smack talk in a tan vs green thread...
I seem to remember when the building thing came up he (nige) was floating over a sea of "No"s and "course not its nige"'s first and his buoyancy of fingers in ears drift lifted him above it all to seek me out.. s'not my fault Phil was the gent by that point who gave way to your force of win.I was relatively uncommital about the matter . (Mr look-that-pony-tail-whisp-blocks-0.2%-tread-of-a-bike-so-my-unit-gets-cover)
I'm still proud I was able to find a way for you(nige) to realistically threaten your opponents that you could DS a building.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KInG » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:49 pm

lolol its not a building!!! the defence laser is a weapon. i just put it on top of a building for height and effect.

anyways, lets be fair, if you can deep strike one of these:
why not a little scaffolding and weapon. ;)
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby DaBoss » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:32 pm

WARNING: Bit of a long Report

Euro Tournament 2011 - LateWar FOW - Philip Powell with Hell's HighWay 2nd Household Cavalry British Armoured Car Company

So set off at 6am on Saturday Morning having plugged in Postcode in SatNav, after 3hrs finally found the place as the postcode given was for the conference centre at the other end of the University Campus!!!!
Luckily I was not the only one to have trouble finding the building.

Then we wait in a queue to sign in, seems they forgot to record the attendees - so table allocation was random - so people had a lot of 'Blue' on 'Blue'.

Lovely tables though, plenty of scenery, sometime sparse and some very themed; including a Stalingrad table, Arnhem Bridge and a Bocage table.

So first of all, what did I take?
HQ – Command (2) Staghound armoured cars with AA MGs
Combat – Recce Platoon 2 x Daimlers + 1 x Dingo
Support – Sherman Platoon 3 x Sherman’s + 1 x Firefly
Support – Sherman Platoon 3 x Sherman’s + 1 x Firefly
Support – Royal Artillery SP 4 x Sexton’s and Sherman Observer
Support – Priority Air Typhoons

So after the Health & Safety and other announcements, down to gaming…

Game 1 - Breakthrough
My first draw was against a Stug Batterie from Stalins Onslaught commanded by Magnus Fallmer.
It included:
HQ –Command Stug with Begleit team
Combat – Stug Platoon (3) with Begleit teams
Support – Nebelwerfer Battery (3 Guns)
Support – Tank Hunter Platoon – 2 x Hornisse
Support – Sporadic Hs129B

So I was defending with just a Recce Platoon and Independents on the table. He placed a Stug Platoon and the Begleit teams formed into a Platoon in outflank reserve.

Started well, table had lots of Bocage for me to hide behind, I fell back and ranged in the Air Support, destroyed 2 Stugs and bailed 3rd in another Platoon. Had another lucky shot on side armour and bailed another Stug – so 2 Morale tests which he passed with HQ re-roll.
Started getting reserves moving my Sherman’s on, but in one turn of bad dice rolls everything missed, even the Air failed to range in with a roll of 3 one’s.
His turn he successfully brought in his Hs129B with a flight of 3 planes and gunned down one of my Sherman platoons killing all three, on the other flank he destroyed 2 and bailed 1 Sherman making the last one run.
So I thought let’s move and contest the objectives – but on his next turn both reserves turn up and sit on the objectives.
Daimlers are no match for Stug’s and we went one more turn resulting in a 6-1 win to Magnus, really enjoyable game – all hinged on the middle turn.

Game 2 – Hasty Assault
Another German force this time Panzerpoineerkompanie commanded by Richard Orsler.
It included:
HQ – Command Teams in Half-tracks
Combat – pioneer platoon (2 squads) in Stuka Half-tracks
Combat – pioneer platoon (2 squads)
Combat – pioneer platoon (2 squads)
Support – Nebelwerfers Battery (6 Guns) with Trucks
Support – Stug Platoon (4 tanks)

Richard was the attacker and deployed his Stuka half-tracks and his Nebelwerfer Battery
I deployed my Sexton Artillery and 2 Recce Platoons, what was good for me was that there was a road on my side of the table leading to over a straight bisecting road across the table.
So I recce’d 16” up the road then moved first another 16” up and along the road, a brought in a flight of 3 Typhoons and dropped Artillery on his nebelwerfers.
Pinned and killed half the Nebelwerfers and the Recce killed over half of the Stuka Pioneers and made them run off the field.
His turn 1 fails to get any reserves and fails to un-pin his Nebelwerfers (his CinC was deployed far away behind a hill).
With my 2nd turn I concentrate everything on the last of the Nebelwerfers while moving up to claim the objective. As expected the Nebelwerfers are decimated and on his 2nd turn he rolls for Company Morale and fails – end of game a Win 6-1 to me.

We talked afterwards (as the game had only lasted 20 minutes) and agreed he should have deployed a Pioneer platoon dug-in and gone to ground – that would have been a bit harder for me to dislodge.
He really didn’t know how fast my recce could move...

Game 3 – Fighting Withdrawal
Found that my table was the Stalingrad themed table which was three quarters covered in buildings and ruins making it all very difficult ground for my army – so I was hoping to be facing a Tank Army as well so I could defend.
My opponent Ian Crossby arrives with a box full of US Infantry Company – my worst nightmare, absolutely tons of infantry teams, artillery, anti-tank guns, bazookas and air support!!!!!
His list was:

HQ – Command + 2 Bazookas
Combat – Rifle Platoon (3 squads)
Combat – Rifle Platoon (3 squads)
Weapon – Machine Gun Platoon (1 Squad) + Bazooka
Weapon – Mortar Platoon (2 Sections) + Bazooka
Weapon – Anti-Tank Platoon (2 Guns) _ Bazookas
Weapon – Pioneer Platoon (2 Squads) + Bazookas
Support – Recon Platoon (2 squads)
Support – Cannon Platoon (2 Gun Sections)
Support – Engineer Combat Platoon (1 Squad) + Bazooka

So as I was a Mechanised Infantry list verses an Infantry list, Ian got to choose table side and deploy first; guess what, he took the side with all the Buildings and ruins – his whole army stretched across the 6 ft of table to about 8” deep; whichever part of the battle line I looked at I could not see a vulnerable part – I knew I was going to lose, so I might as well see how many of his platoons I could take with me.
It started bad as my Artillery failed to range in, my Aircraft were intercepted and I managed to kill 1 Infantry stand with my cannons….
His turn concentrated return fire saw a Recce Squadron in flames (I failed to recce away!!), a Sherman Platoon up in flames from Artillery and Aircraft attack.
Turn 2 fared a little better, I managed to kill 2 Infantry stands; in return the Americans destroyed yet another Sherman Platoon and a Recce Squadron.
My 3rd turn and I needed to take a Company Morale test, even with Re-roll managed to roll two lots of ‘1’ and off I went.
Lost 1-6

So drowned my sorrows with a couple of Magner’s and talked sad war stories with other gamers.
Seems I was not the only one suffering lots of losses.

Next day woke up refreshed, ready for two more games.

Game 4 – Cauldron
Another ‘Defensive Battle’ that I was dreading, got drawn against a Soviet player Hugo Ximez with a Peredovoye-Otryad Batalon, something I’ve used in the past, luckily as I was defender he could not use his recon move with the Spetsnaz.
His force comprised:
HQ – T-34/85 + Kommissar in Jeep
Combat – Medium Tankovy – 5 x T-34/85, 4 x T-34/76 + Tank Riders
Combat – Medium Tankovy – 5 x T-34/85, 4 x T-34/76
Support – Motostrelkovy (2 Platoons) 1 unit with SMG + Kommissar
Support – Spetsnaz Platoon (1 Squad) in Half-tracks

I placed the objectives and then deployed my Sextons behind some Hedge and a Sherman Platoon next to the Objective within a Cornfield, keeping a Sherman Platoon in immediate reserve.
He choose to deploy both Tankovy Platoons and rolled a ‘6’ for both, enabling him to place them whichever quarter he wanted. It’s at this point when he had placed the units just at 16” from my Sherman’s that I reminded him that I would get first turn (he had thought as the Attacker that he would go first), so suddenly the T-34 moved back quite some distance.
What he forgot was that my tanks work better at range (even if AT10 against his front 7+1 armour).
Turn 1 – I concentrate all my efforts on one platoon, my aircraft range in as do my Sextons followed by a very good amount of the Sherman fire even on 5+ to hit.
End result 5 destroyed T-34 and 2 more bailed, a roll on Morale sees the Tanks flee the table (he could have used his HQ but did not want to?)
His Turn 1 no reserves, his T-34’s have to bunch up between two hills to maximise shooting – which results in the Sherman’s in the Cornfield all having 2 bailed (including the Firefly).
Turn 2 sees me, hit this platoon with all my forces and bringing the Platoon down to 5 active T-34’s.
(Had to do some very clever movement to get the Aircraft (flight of 3) to not be ‘called off’ for being within 16”.
His Turn 2 – remaining T-34’s stand still with no reserves and obliterate the Sherman’s in the cornfield.
Turn 3 – I again get a flight of 3 Typhoons and hit the T-34’s with everything (including Artillery which was ranged in and he had not moved)
3 more burning tanks and a failed morale test meant he needed to pass a Company Morale test which he promptly rolls a ‘1’.

Another Win 5-2 to me, my defence worked perfectly, did not even get to fire any Daimlers in that battle.

Game 5 – Free For All
So final game of the tournament, ‘Free for All’ a game that can end in a Draw more often than not.
Got drawn against another Russian force this time a Strelkovy Batalon commanded by Pierre Nielson
It consisted of:
HQ – Command + Kommissar
+ Sappers (5 teams) + Supply Wagon+ Flamethrowers (4 sections) + 2x45mm Guns
Combat – Strelkovy Company (3 Platoons)
Combat – Strelkovy Company (1 Platoon)
Combat – Mortar Company ( 2 Platoons)
Weapon – Scout Platoon (1 squad)
Weapon – Anti Tank Platoon (4 x 45mm guns)
Support – Guards Heavy Tank Company (4 x IS-2 tanks)

Now Pierre deployed his Big Strelkovy with attached Flamethrowers and Sappers on one of his objectives, while the Anti-Tank guns and the small Strelkovy sat on the other. In the middle roamed the IS-2 tanks.
I deployed my forces evenly across the table nice and balanced, but in my Recce move, transferred all my Armoured Cars over towards the Big Strelkovy force.
Pierre got first turn and seeing my move, dug his Strelkovy in. The IS-2 had to lumber forward to get in range of my Sherman’s and failed to hit.
My turn, I move all my Recce and a Sherman Platoon (minus a Firefly who spent 4 turns trading fire with the IS-2’s) over to just 16” from the Strelkovy and spend the rest of the game firing on them while they are dug-in, concealed and Gone to Ground.
On the other side my other Sherman’s chase after the Scouts, while the stationary Firefly kills an IS-2 but then dies the next turn to return fire.
I manage to bring in my aircraft nearly every turn (even when rolling 1 dice) but his defensive AA fire always dropped me down to 1 aircraft failed to damage them till I final range in a flight of 3 Typhoons; they manage to kill one tank and bail another – Pierre rolls his morale and off does the survivor.
Now Pierre decides that he can’t attack and plays for the Draw. We play another 10 turns which sees me ranging in my Artillery on his Company Command Team but never actually managing to kill him (just every other team nearby), got him down to 8 teams and decided to go for the objective which was held by 2 stands, I manage to kill one with my Daimler but not the other one, Pierre succeeds in retreating and still passing his Morale test (has passed about 8 tests without using his Kommissar to shoot someone!!!).
Two of the remaining stands are Flamethrowers, so Pierre takes a gamble and rushes towards me Recce, flames engulf them but fail to destroy them unfortunately his other teams are more than 6” away so can’t even do ‘shooting too successful’.
I take a Morale test and lose a Recce Platoon (even with re-roll!!!)

At this point Pierre concedes the game as his remaining 6 teams are in the open facing 2 platoons of Recce, a Sherman Platoon and the Artillery – he was happy with a 5-2 result.

So that gave me a 3rd Win.
So 3-0-2 for the weekend, no where never the top tables or a Steve Charlton level (who was just beaten down to coming 2nd Overall); but a very good showing from me.

Just the third game being the attacker in such very difficult terrain doing Fighting Withdrawal on the Stalingrad was my only unpleasant experience.

Overall a good tournament, but they do need to sort out a couple of things.
1) Map/directions to the event location
2) Assign games by Swiss method than random selection
3) Arrange more games Axis vs Allies to reduce Blue-on-Blue
4) Look at the balance of the scenarios as Defensive battles favour and Infantry Army (which it looked like 60+% of players took).
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby Ljundhammer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:05 am

Nice bat reps, sounds like great fun.

Shame about the Nazis :(

;)
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 am

Bocage- an area of pastureland with some trees. I looked that one up skipped the rest :D
Well done, so how did the others do?

I don't know why but events at Notts uni always seems to go a bit wrong, my sister went to a flagship garage night where they'd thought they'd do it on no budget and had no security so when the fights began..they just carried on and carried on all night.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links