Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Valkyrie stability on flying stand?

Discussion of anything 40K related

Valkyrie stability on flying stand?

Postby mortiferum » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:16 am

So I have 3 Valkyries currently:

One resin, one plastic and one plasticard scratchbuilt. I also have three of the official flying stands and bases for the Valkyries, none are attached at present.

The resin one I believe weighs a little more than the plastic one which inturn weighs more than my plasticard version.

I was wondering if there are any stability problems with any of the models; tipping over midway through a game, centre of gravity misaligned etc. when using the official flying stands and bases.

Should the flying stands be glued to the centre of the bases or off centre towards front / back?

Would I be better off looking for a magnet approach for afixing them to the base of the Valkyrie, or keep with the 'criss cross' push fitting?

Thanks

Morty
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Re: Valkyrie stability on flying stand?

Postby chromedog » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:19 am

My flying base mount is glued on between the back of the c0ckpit angled-bit and just forward of the rear landing skid. The three 'teeth' of the mount butt right up against the end of the c0ckpit bit).

Sits quite happily on the stand, vectoring slightly forward (nose dropped down slightly).
That is not dead which can eternal lie

and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die
chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Spack » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 am

I haven't had a problem with the plastic Valks on the GW stands, they're pretty stable. I haven't tried putting a FW Valk on one as I don't want to go hacking a cross into the underside of the resin, and haven't gotten around to making a cross slot piece to pin to on like the plastic kit has. They should be a lot more stable than my homemade stands - those are just CDs with a brush handle, there's a bit of wavering but they haven't fallen over yet :)

The cross fitting is very solid, if you're going with magnets I would stick with the cross too as it makes the joint much more solid.

As to positioning the stem, I just glued it dead centre of the oval base. As Chromedog says the cross piece fits in a specific place on the Valk anyway, and it seems to be pretty close if not dead on to the centre of gravity.
Dan ~ Age of Strife Admin
My 40k LibraryThing

World of Tanks: WoT Profile AoS Stats ADU Battelogs
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Herne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm

I have 2 plastic and one resin. The plastic ones are fine once painted on the stands they came with. Infact the layers of paint help to make the connection a little stronger. The resin one I made a base for out of a brass rod. If yours is liek mine and they haven't changed the design then the best place to place a rod is through the core of the engine section, where the cockpit glues onto the main compartment. This area is a solid section of resin that can be drilled carefully to allow the rod to insert comfortably up to an inch and a half or so into the resin. The balance then comes of how you place the stand into the base. As you can see from the picture the weight of the model hangs back on the base and so the rod is inserted further forward on the base to counterweight. This only works with a solid base, the plastic ones would just bend and distort. Hope that helps....

My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links