Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Everyone in- Other websites/clubs at future AOS events.

News and rumours

Should the next few age of strife weekends be tournament centred+ incorporate 2 other websites.

Yes -I want to play in a tournament with 30-40 people who are competent players
No - Pub ethos meetup clashes with large semi professional tournaments.

View results

Everyone in- Other websites/clubs at future AOS events.

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:31 pm

I enjoyed the weekend.. this bit needed digging out and not being drowned in side topics though.
Stunty wrote:They also said that they'd be interested in doing the same at our next event (I wanna talk to Nige 1st though)and would advertise the event on their clubs forum also so it may be 3 forums next time (Do we want that though, its for you guys at the end of the day)..

To me, the reason it might not work is that other fora are based on a single club, Where they all know each other,hang out with each other the rest of the year and their own control mechanisms (RWI have an oversite committee ). We are a cobbled together mishmash of about 5-6 looseknit clubs.. when we go places we are more surprised to meet each other than be a synergistic body/team..we've always had someone bring some poor waif along etc etc.

The tournament was a proper full, well attended ,well participated tourney..which frankly we've had to struggle to eek together with the last minutitus from across the country previously.(AOS was 11 out of 25 peeps? 4 of which were pretty last minute)
Whilst several people enjoy a tournament (James loved it being a challenge full of experienced tourney-ers)an awful lot of the peeps here (who do attend events) previously stated our inhouse tourney things were a bit too hardcore(from past posts I'm pretty much counting Sami and Stuntys "meh could if pushed", and everyone passed that).

I enjoy beer and pretzels weekends playing fun crap for hours, I enjoy fun hardcore tournament stuff. I think with possibly the exception of oop north Si, no one else here could happily do either and be equally happy.

Should this be a Roll With It Saturday.. and we form a delegation inside their day as hosts to us and this other club?. And have an age of strife sillyness weekend elsewhere.. or do we need the numbers to amalgamate our already amalgation to be quorate enough to carry on justifying a weekend.
Will we lose random road warriors such as Ruffians crew if it becomes proper tourney centred, will our benevolent overlord refuse to spend the day being whipped with a big broom handle?

Everyone throw in their tuppence.. but its open thread be nice.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Everyone in- Other websites/clubs at future AOS events.

Postby Ljundhammer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Well, I think the tournament was a great sucess. The missions were a nice change from the normal & I played 2 players from the other club who I can say are among the best I've played. The wider the tournament player base the better from my point of view (I was really interested as I used to game there when I worked in Leicester a couple of years ago).

I wouldn't worry about power gamers getting out of hand... We already are!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby Stunty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:04 pm

I've just had a horrible thought about the next tourny, its gonna be bigger and it could be 6th ed so could get messy

Toby can you translate what you said above without your gastro-intestinal awesomeness please :)
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby Ljundhammer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:27 pm

I've had a horrible thought.

A 30-40 person tournament is what professional (or semi-professional in KMB parlence) organisers do. Can Stunty realistically do this? It's a great burden to do a small fun weekend tournament, if people are expecting proper prizes & a 'proper' (note the inverted commas, Stunty, this isn't aimed at you) tournament, there's a step up in the organisation & number of organisers needed (rules lawyers, list checkers, floor walkers and the like).

Given how apathetic we are, as a bunch, is this something that AoS really wants to do?

I'd rather see it run as a GF event with 'official' personnel to do the 'proper tournament stuff' that you'd expect. And then, why bother, there are plenty of tournaments you can enter if you want to.

TLDR:
A hard core non-AoS tourny isn't really what we're about is it? I'd rather play appocalypse with you bunch of fluffy weirdos. You're weirdos, but you're my weirdos.

EDIT - I voted no tournament for clarity.
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Alright I'll reword it.
Some web forums are basically a front end for 1 core club of people who attend weekly, with other stuff as the chaff, we are a web site with things like Redcar club arrangerbeing a small (but vital) bit of it.
Can we be the core a tourney grows from when we are likely to be less than a quarter of the boots on the ground.
Would other regular core AOS change their opinion 1 way or the other if it did or did not have a semi pro tourney taking up one of the 2 days.

LH says he'll play apocalypse? I promise I didn't say that and then change the posters name.

Speaking of which, since this was deleted in the club forums it needs to go somewhere.

AOS comprises of a cluster of roughly 6 clubs around the country/world; (providing illustrative names who post so people roughly can identify groupings)
KIng,Cgra, Skywalker, bane (redcar- raiders and ironbeards-north east)
Spack (Creater owner admin) and hernes one (is that the RogueTraders Westmidlands/Brum) Klueless has a housegroup from them and does video batreps
Ruffians housegroup vaguely hybernating due to constantly damaged tables (more west and more north(?)
My housegroup posters-LH Mr6 and viper1, currently hibernating (Nottingham).
Matt WLHs etc (dragons tears) Brighton
Phil and dan (the other awesome video batrep guy), Armageddon inc -HIGH WYCOMBE
Conscript boris Warbastion in gibralter
+ a bunch of ragtag lone gunsmiths from places like New York state (timewizard) and near London (Baragash) (of course they could be the tip of icebergs representing whole forums elsewhere)

Stuff done in their forum instead of in a specific one (e.g. KOW stuff) means they are able to moderate and keep easily viewable for their audience who may only check that subforum.
I believe the etiquette has established (vaguely...uncodifiedly) that nonclub forum members are allowed to post in other groups stuff,helpfully positively, reigning in some of our tendencies to derail and trash threads(as the real world clubs can, if they wish, lock all non club members out if they wish)..

After that it gets a little tricky as its also worth watching the blogs (from the main welcome page) as a lot of Modelling painting and generally question asking has moved to the blogs section over the last month or so.(which are individually "owned" so to speak, like the galleries)

The one time we did go to an external tournament under the group heading of AOS we didn't do very well.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Herne » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm

For my four-penneth I have to say that I'm not really up for 'semi-pro' tournaments - it's not just about crafting a beardy list = most can do that. It's about being able to commit to honing playing styles, learning the circuit meta-games and generally being far more into the minutiae of the rules than I can be arsed with. Beer and pretzels for me all the way! I see nothing wrong with inter club / inter site bashes though. Slightly fluffier ideas? Maybe a campaign based on a storyline? 'Help - our planets been invaded - everyone pull your forces together to defend....' where team tourney results affect an overall 'club winner' rather than just ranking players..... Just a thought. Somat fun rather than overly intense and too full of nerd-gamer-itis. I had a thoroughly fun weekend, playing some decent chaps from the other site, and it wasn't too high pressure-high performance. Lets keep it like that. There's already 'pro-tounaments' out there for those with that sort of itch.
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Postby Stunty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Ok I seem to be slightly out of touch.. My fear was people were becoming less interested (I enjoy seeing everyone and don't want events to stop) inviting more and having bigger tournaments would increase interest (thats what i thought atleast). personally i wanna do the 750pt doubles we used to do.

@ljundhammer the problem with other tournaments is you pay £25 and all you get out of it is potato and a bit of cheese lol
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby estarriol » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Well, just a thought here, if say it was 4 clubs, then have it as a club vs club tourney. Each player has 3 battles against members of different clubs and winning club gets a trophy as well as spot prizes for daftest move of the day, most useless player, you know all the stuff that can make things like that fun rather than just winner takes all.

Just my twopennyworth.

Saying that at the next event, I might just be persuaded to try and wean any interested players away from GW rules (using the same models if smaller armies)...
--
estarriol

See my buildings at: www.templebuilder.wordpress.com

Home of 6mm Miniatures and offbeat 28mm Fantasy goodness: www.rapierminiatures.co.uk
estarriol
Mad Dok
Mad Dok

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Red Devil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I'm undecided on how to vote...

I loved the opportunity to play against new opponents and races (even the Necrons, although it was painful), but my collection is out of touch with the current rules so cannot build a beardie list (not saying I would if I could, but not to have the option...); I much prefer playing a game with my painted models.

As those who have played me know, I am not a serious gamer and my occasional dip into the game with a 4th ed collection will upset a number of serious gamers. But I love playing 40k. For me, a tournament with a more relaxed style/atmosphere would be preferable, or even doubles??

Just my thoughts to throw into the ring...
Red Devil
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Stunty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Phil pretty much nailed my thoughts.
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby Ljundhammer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Doubles was cool last time we did it. I'd be up for that again!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Do a tournament with no prizes. That way the only thing to compete for is fun. Throw in something narrative and a which-club-or-forum-scores-the-most bragging rights factor and we might have a winner.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Stunty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 pm

The tourny we just did had no prizes announced to try to keep it about fun..
I would have done doubles, AoS member and RWI member vs AoS member and RWI member this time but didnt get the numbers till after the pack went out.
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby estarriol » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 pm

As in Marvel no Prize prizes?
--
estarriol

See my buildings at: www.templebuilder.wordpress.com

Home of 6mm Miniatures and offbeat 28mm Fantasy goodness: www.rapierminiatures.co.uk
estarriol
Mad Dok
Mad Dok

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BANE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Ok, i have read thro this, long post to follow.

I love tournies, i think they are the games i enjoy most as i get to build a list in my head identifying strenghts and weakness in my build up over a course of months in test games and then get to test all aspects of the build against the best of the best opponents that i get to face in the tournie and these guys have done the same building with there list over the course of months too. Awesome.

Only thats not i get from the AoS meetups, the group is too diverse in its gaming objectives, some come to casual game others for competition others to show off there painting some to play apoc, hell some come to play there only games of the year!

I enjoyed the tournie this year, the RWI guys came with a tournie in mind, optimal lists, focused on the objectives and played to win, and from what i seen approached the games in a friendly manner. However as much as i love the tournie scene and enjoyed the tournie, i didnt enjoy the 40k tournie 1% as much as i did getting introduced to Talisman in the bar by Si, sammi and phil.

These are people who i choose to go to the meetup to spend time with gaming, i cant think off a single guy i have met at AoS that i dont enjoy the company of, i csnt say the same for any tournie i have been to unless i already knew the guy.

Lets also recall that we ( I ) tried to get a pro tournie off the ground a year a so ago by posting on here for interest and we were going to a GT inviting all the other forums to try and launch a annual AoS event, behind the scenes this got discussed in depth and got as far as Nige wanting to do it if i could do the work and was putting a grand in for prizes etc. It didnt get of the ground for a reason. A couple of months later me and Nige attended the UKGT by flame on, a now annual tournie, i think there was 3 AoS guys there!

In short my best memory of the weekend was wanding through the snow drifts to recover the magically sword of light, not almost tabling my opponent first game and thinking i could win this. This from a guy the loves tournie play, but i can go to any tournie for that and i know its only like minded players there for that.

So my vote for what its worth is confirm the dates early for advance warning, put a few ideas of what people may want to do (Doubles, apoc,narative,quiz,drink beer in bar and fall over) throw up a poll and give it plenty of time to get responses to see what the majority will come to and lets do that to get the best attendance, if the other forum/club guys what to come they can always read the details on OUR forum.

@Stunty, i dont like your new sig one bit sir!

I vote no tournie.
BANE
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to 40K News & Rumours

Social Links