Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Dedicated transport rules reminder

Discussion of rules in Warhammer 40K - use for existing rules only, for discussing new rules or changes/alternatives use the Rules Development forum

Moderator: mattjgilbert

Dedicated transport rules reminder

Postby Herne » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi - Can anyone remind me: Can you take a dedicated transport if the squad you are buying for is larger that the transport capacity?

I'm wondering wether to try and get a landraider into my chaos list: the 3 hvy support slots are full, but I can take a land raider as a dedicated transport for my terminators. The problem is that I'm likely to want to deepstrike the terminators and theres 7 of them in the squad.

A: Can I take the landraider anyway? (Codex doesn't state a limitation.) *EDIT* OK - this one is a yes according to the FAQ....
B: Can I set it up separate?
C: Could it transport my berserkers instead?

I probably could find this lot digging around the rulebook, but I thought I'd check on the site incase anyone can save me the reading time. Cheers for any help! :D
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Re: Dedicated transport rules reminder

Postby Stunty » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 pm

A. Yes
B. I asked a similar question about drop pods and I don't think there was a definite answer other than agree it with your opponent before hand..
C. It can transport any unit (space allowing) but can only be deployed with 'its unit' inside..
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:10 pm

B- the bit about "or even empty" in reserves section of the book.. yes you can dump an empty pod on the table.
Stunty wrote:C. It can transport any unit (space allowing) but can only be deployed with 'its unit' inside..

That bits important. if yoursetting up in reserve... the beserkers can't be in it.
And if your setting up all on, they have to hide behind it and hope to climb on board turn one.

EDIT- page 94 middle left."Similarly...."

I fiddled around trying to get a termicide + zerker transport and in the end gave up due to all the problems related to this..
Just take BA.. have counts as beserk angry super marines DSing in their 1d6 parachuting uber landraider onto the enemy, harder than abaddon, more full of rage iconed khorne, as mech as guard...(only balancer is that most builds are as expensive as pure grey knights :lol: )
Bloody possessed dreadnoughts too FFS
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Spack » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 pm

killmaimburn wrote:DSing in their 1d6 parachuting uber landraider

That ain't happening - only units with the Descent of Angels rule has 1d6 scatter for DS, the Land Raiders don't have that; only jump infantry does. :)

As to the original question, only units that have a restriction in their rules about the unit size and if they can take a dedicated transport are restricted. For instance, the BT codex taking Sword Brethren as an example, they can only take a Razorback transport if the unit has 6 models or less. In newer codexes the unit size no longer prevents the taking of a transport that doesn't hold the entire unit, although the unit cannot embark on it unless they are reduced in size (for instance via the Combat Squad rule).
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby timewizard » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Stunty wrote:A. Yes
B. I asked a similar question about drop pods and I don't think there was a definite answer other than agree it with your opponent before hand..

Look at page 94 BRB 6th paragraph; "Remember that a dedicated transport can only be deployed, and consequently can only be kept in reserve, either empty or transporting the unit it was selected with..."

So any dedicated transport can be deployed empty. Further, in the case of drop pods, Codex Space Marines page 69 under drop pod assault says; "Drop pods always enter play using the deep strike rules..." and units using deep strike rules always begin the game in reserve. In the case of the drop pods, half arrive in your first turn, the rest are rolled for as normal.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Herne » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks lads - that's all everything I thought anyway - just wanted to check my rules. Had the added advantage of showing how beardy and broken the BA are now!

(Throws brick into calm pond and quietly slopes off.....) :twisted: ;-) :lol:
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Postby lostandthedamned » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 pm

I have seen empty pods deployed, just as Locator Beacon platforms.
When you wish upon a star, your dreams can come true.
Unless it's a meteorite falling to Earth, which will destroy all life, then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
Unless it's death by meteorite.
lostandthedamned
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:22 am

Its very easy to take down if you don't have an ironclad/tactical squad babysitting it (my gt list had a regular dread that had 2+1 speeders DS off it).. It is handy sometimes, more, that you don't want your dread somewhere...but you might want the locator beacon and something sat on the objective (it will go poof but in the max reserves game it means Me dreadnought won't be the only thing in the armies range turn2 when it all flies on.(just the DP)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby TheColonel » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:51 am

It always galls me when drop pods are fired out of the ship with nobody in as surely if you have bought a pod you are kinda on the ship and really cant just walk onto the table. As always it boils down to common sense versus rules as written.

I, as a matter of principal, will always mount up in my drop pods. Unless gw/fw give me rules for putting explosives in 'em and firing them at the opposition.......
"Crom, i've never prayed to you before, i have no tongue for it.
No-one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought and why we died.
All that matters is that two stood against many, thats whats important.
Valor pleases you lord Crom so grant me one thing, grant me revenge.
And if you do not listen....then to hell with you!"
TheColonel
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Stunty » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Could always argue they are launched as a ruse..
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby timewizard » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:00 pm

TheColonel wrote:It always galls me when drop pods are fired out of the ship with nobody in as surely if you have bought a pod you are kinda on the ship and really cant just walk onto the table. As always it boils down to common sense versus rules as written.

I'm for a common sense approach to things as much as the next guy, and while many WH40K rules are based on common sense, many more are just the rules of the game.
Like in chess, having a bishop able to fly across a table to capture a castle makes no sense, but the rules allow it.
I have experimented with landing pods both with their units and empty. Both tactics have certain advantages and disadvantages, it all depends on your overall strategy.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Stunty wrote:Could always argue they are launched as a ruse..

Or filled with supplies/surveilance equipment. :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby timewizard » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:44 pm

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:

~ Tim

Or a weapons platform. 8)
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby Stunty » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:09 pm

timewizard wrote:
LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:

~ Tim

Or a weapons platform. 8)

2 droids..
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:16 pm

they are probably not the ones you are looking for
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince