Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Skimmer Transports

Discussion of rules in Warhammer 40K - use for existing rules only, for discussing new rules or changes/alternatives use the Rules Development forum

Moderator: mattjgilbert

Skimmer Transports

Postby KInG » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Where were the rules for skimmer tranports allowing units to disembark onto any floor of a ruin/building? Was it 4th Ed? Seems to be missing now from 5th.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: Skimmer Transports

Postby Spack » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:30 pm

In Cities of Death, the Rappelling Lines stratagem on page 38 allows disembarking onto the top level, but I don't remember any rules for disembarking onto any level.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby KInG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:04 am

so in 40k its the bottom level only then I guess?
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:12 pm

I looked through the main rules and the issue of disembarking in ruins is not addressed.

In the Cities of Death rule, page 9 covers city ruins and says;

"Skimmers may not enter or occupy city ruins, but they may hover overhead as normal. A hovering skimmer may not disembark troops into a city ruin; troops must disembark and then enter via the ground level."

I didn't find anything in the 4th edition about ruins at all.

This is something you would probably have to houserule.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby lostandthedamned » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:12 pm

You have to remember that Cities of Death was written for the previous edition. At the time there where rules in the book that dealt with exiting skimmers into buildings. If there's no additional rules for this now then we have to examine what the core rules say and apply it, not try to house rule to be the same as the previous edition.

So, When exiting a vehicle models are placed in coherency within 2" of an access point. )or 2" of the hull if opened topped).

So if the terrain allows you could be placed on top of a building if the skimmer can be placed there legally (passing a terrain check) and all the models fit within the 2" zone.
As floors are likely to be 3" apart and skimmers must be on flying bases all the disembarking models will have to be on the same level and within 2"
When you wish upon a star, your dreams can come true.
Unless it's a meteorite falling to Earth, which will destroy all life, then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
Unless it's death by meteorite.
lostandthedamned
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby timewizard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:26 pm

But skimmers follow the normal rules for vehicles, and page 83 lists the units that are allowed to move on the upper floors of a ruin, and skimmers aren't one of them.
Skimmers can't move within ruins, so you can't place a skimmer on the 2nd floor of a 3 story ruin.
There's nothing in the disembarkation rules that covers disembarking from a skimmer (or any other transport for that matter) into a ruin.
The closest rule to it is the one for deep strike that says units deep striking into a ruin are placed on the ground floor, but I know that has nothing to do with disembarking.
Skimmers 'hover' over terrain so I don't know how you would handle that.
As far as the 2" disembarkation, in the case of a skimmer, do you measure diagonally? Because the rules for skimmers say you measure from the access point normally. So if I have a skimmer on the top of a 3 story ruin, am I prevented from deploying onto the ground level, because 2" from the access point doesn't get me even 1 floor down.
This is why I think you have to house rule it.
Unless there is a rule specifically covering disembarking from a skimmer into a ruin, I haven't found one yet, but I'm still looking.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby KInG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:26 pm

skimmers can hover over a ruin, so i would say, if u get out of a hovering skimmer onto the ruin's top floor, that would be ok, as coherency in a ruin is measured from a models head to a base.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Return to 40K Rules

Social Links