Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

timewizard storm check

Discuss what you like

timewizard storm check

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:08 am

go on check in,
All we're hearing over here (6am gmt) is higher than worst predicted waves(which sounds horrible, body count low but are often misleading).
Radio 4 (our serious BBC radio station )has an awesome cabby, who in that new york fashion is part genius (telling us the canals are not canals they're tributataries etc :/) part survivalist blog.
Normally this time of year we look forward to pictures of your landscaped spooky diorama, but I assume that's not happening this year.
What's going down near you? I know your not near the city but never thought to ask your altitude.(shame)
as retired front line guy are you part of the if it all goes pear shaped plan?

are your town taking in evacuees/are city folk who visit you this time of year really called 'leafers' because they come to see autumn landscapes in unpleasantly large hoards? (cultural event in 2 different sitcoms I watch, hard to work out if just bs)

(general well wishing from across the Atlantic to you lot)
My entire understanding of the east coast has been destroyed by spending 5 minutes accidentally watching jersey shore. =)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: timewizard storm check

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 am

I've sent him a PM and just spotted this. He lives on Long Island afaik.

Of course... he might have no power so unable to read this!

Fingers crossed he and the family are OK.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby ruffian4 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Yeah, me too.
He said he would keep us in touch, but there are reported to be major power cuts all over the place.

Good luck mate, hope all is as well as can be.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Talus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:23 pm

im guessing that it was his power that went last night

mid skype call he just cut out

did say that his lights had been flickering most of the day, so it was really to be expected.

last weather report he gave was winds of 40mph and gusts of 60, neighbour lost a tree branch and the leaves from his tree were being shredded :S
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:52 pm

ruffian4 wrote:, but there are reported to be major power cuts all over the place.
power cuts?-- power explosions (ap3)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20135390

Its scale is just mental..(size of europe/ chicago 20 ft waves at same time etc) those shots from space :5zombie
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ruffian4 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 pm

killmaimburn wrote:power cuts?-- power explosions (ap3)

Christ, that looked like plasma (ap2).
Not good.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27 pm

And it's only a Cat1 storm. Imagine if it was stronger...
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Cain Tiberius » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 am

Hope you and yours will be safe TW. You have our prayers.
My BA Blog

Semper Fidelis
Cain Tiberius
Enforcer
Enforcer

Medals: 12
Gold (2) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (8)
Blog: View Blog (36)

Postby skywalker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:46 pm

I got back from New York on Friday 2nd November and I hope that Timewizard is ok. I was lucky where we where staying had power and not too much damage.
skywalker
Cannon Fodder

Postby timewizard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Cheers all! Thanks for the concerns and the thoughts!
So, here my daughter and her friend posed in front of our house a week before the hurricane before they went to a school party. My daughter did the makeup effects herseif!
Then I had to bring in my decorations and the storm hit on Monday the 29th. We went through the day watching trees sway and listening to the wind. The highest gust recorded near my house was 92 MPH (148 KPH). That night at roughly half 7 PM our lights, which had been flickering all day, finally went out for good. My wife had been called in to work with the auxiliary police, a volunteer outfit she belongs to, so me and my kids hunkered down in the living room where there are no east facing windows to ride out the storm. Wife returned home safely a bit before midnight as the storm was weakening slightly. We were very lucky. None of our trees came down, and no branches crashed into or through our house. The next morning though showed this across the street from us;
My neighbor's tree snapped at the roots and came to rest on the house next door;
On Thursday the 1st we were one of the lucky ones that got power back on. There were at that time still over 650,000 households without power down from a high of over 950,000 out after the storm. So we took in the neighbor's kids so they didn't have to sleep in the cold, let our friends without power use our shower and clothes washers, and I made stew and pot roast meals for all.
On Election day, 4 November, I went to vote (polling place is at my kids school) and I passed by the trees I used to wait under to get my kids from school. This is what remained of trees that were 50-60 feet tall;
Then, just as the efforts to restore power were underway, mother nature threw something new at us. This is the view out my front door that greeted me in the morning;
We got hit with a nor'easter (a winter storm) that dumped about 4 inches of wet, heavy snow on my area. I was very worried that the tree across the street might go through the neighbor's house since it now had accumulated a good bit of snow;
Luckily, the temperatures abated somewhat and no other damage was done. Our lights flickered again all through the snow storm but remained on, which was a good thing because we had 2 other families over to wash and have dinner because their homes were still without lights and heat.
We now have gas rationing (odd reg plates fill up on odd days, even on even days) but after the snow storm we weren't really going anywhere anyway!
Temps have now risen to the upper 50's and low 60's helping to melt away the snow. Chidlren's school was open for a total of 2 days over the last 2 weeks. When I went to pick up Jonathan one day before the snow hit, the corner near his school still looked like this;
If you compare it with the earlier picture, you'll see that there is still an electrical wire across the road (Thankfully there's no power running through it) but this was 7 or 8 days after the hurricane, and the streets were still blocked.
This morning, our cable and internet service was finally restored. I was able to clear our the more than 300 emails that had built up, missed both events on world of tanks and have to catch up on my online banking.
But, we took no severe damage to our house, the wife and kids (and myself) made it through the 2 severe weather events with all limbs intact, we lost a minimal amout of food due to no power in the refrigerators and freezer, and we were for the most part warm and well fed throughout. We were very lucky indeed.

Thanks again to all for keeping us in your thoughs. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give a good update.
Hope this finds all of you and yours doing well.

Cheers Mates! And many thanks again.

Time Wizard
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby skywalker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Glad to hear you all got through it unhurt and undamaged. Welcome back :D
skywalker
Cannon Fodder

Postby Talus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:41 pm

my god you wind bag!

shut up and get in world of tanks already!

(welcome back, glad you're alright :) )
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:05 am

I'm glad to hear you got through relatively unscathed and it's good to hear you could help out friends worse off than you.

That's lots of years of tree growth lost there!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby ruffian4 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 am

Glad to hear your ok mate and that things are getting better in Tunguska Long Island!

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Angelwing » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:07 pm

welcome back!
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Next

Return to Anything goes

Social Links