Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

X-Wing Miniatures Game

Discuss what you like

X-Wing Miniatures Game

Postby Socaddict » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Anyone played this? Anyone able to tell me what its like?

I've bitten the bullet to give it a go as the base game can be ordered online to collect in store at Asda for a mere £20, and looks interesting enough.

thoughts?
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Postby Talus » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:27 pm

ive seen the models about

pre-painted though :(

not really looked into the game, but if they carry on with the ''expansions'' being single fighters, its gonna be more expensive than holding down a GW hobby!
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby Socaddict » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Well, the single ship expansions are around a tenner each (except the millennium falcon and slave-1, both bigger), and significantly cheaper than finecast figures these days. And for tournament play etc, you're unlikely to need more than four to six ships apparently. (~£50, less than a GW battleforce).

Its a game I reckon I could get my better half to give a go as well.
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:18 pm

It's a great little game. A bit like Aeronautica but without the altitude to consider. Really quick and fun but you need the expansions after a little while.

As it happens I ordered myself a second TIE Advanced and the Falcon just this very evening :)
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Oh, if you can, get a second set of the dice. having just the few from the core game is annoying.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby paulmc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:23 pm

ive being playing this for a couple of weeks and im hooked. the game is basically very simple to learn but very complex when you expand it to include more ships, specailist equipment etc
at the simplest level you arrange your ships at either end of a 3' by 3' table and dogfight. each ship has a pilot with an associated points cost, the cheaper the pilot the lower the initiative (generally), roughly one x-wing equals two tie fighters. initiative is key, higher initiative gets to move second and then shoot first
each ship has a movement dial wich shows all movement options avaialable to that craft, (tie fighters more manouverable) you pick your movement and then put it face down near your ship. when every player has done this you reveal your movement in initiative order - lowest first.
movement is done by placing the corresponding template onto the base of your ship and moving your ship to the other end. you then get to perform an action, which includes putting focus, evades and rerolls onto your ship depending on what you think might happen in the shooting phase. then you shoot if your opponents ships are in range (30cm max) and in your firing arc, highest initiative goes first.
you roll red attack dice and count your hits, then you can spend actions etc to re-roll or improve your hits, then your opponent gets to roll defence dice (green) to cancell the hits. if you suffer any hits you draw cards and if your ship stil has hull/hit points left it gets to shoot back
some hits cause critical damage to your ship/pilot which can have ongoing effects for the rest of the game but basically once evryone has shot you pick up the manouver dials and rinse/repeat until someone has won
it might not sound like a great deal but its surprisingly brutal with ships blowing up all over the place if you get lucky dice rolls
where the game becomes really interesting is when you expand the points. 100 points is a recomended figure and this allows you to employ veteran/named pilots who have unique skills and have access to upgrades for pilot skills, ship modifications, missiles/weapons etc
so far when playing basic introductory missions/dogfights (the two ties vs 1 x-wing) the games have lasted up to 15-20 mins but are good to get used to learning the basics, the couple of 100 point games i have played have lasted 2-3 hours, the first one because it was our first big game and was a bit cagey and the second because we used the milenium falcon and slave 1 and they can soak up a lot of damage before they die
overall i would sum up
pros - very quick to learn, cheap to start up, its an easy pick up and play game, everything u need comes in the box, its fun to play and for star wars fans its a must buy
cons - its simplicity might not apeal to everyone, could get expensive to buy multiples of boosters, each booster has unique pilots and upgrade cards so you really do need to buy at least one of each to play seriously, a lack of availability at the mo (try finding the x-wing booster anywhere), some of the synergies of pilots/upgrades make devastatingly good squads and i can see it getting quite beardy where uber-combinations will dominate

ive realy enjoyed playing it and wouldnt hesitate to recomend it to anyone, and at the very least if you dont like it you should be able to flog the starter set to players that do as the extra dice and ships allways come in handy
paulmc
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:40 pm

I think it's one of those great little games to have around when there's little time or no-one has arranged a bigger game of anything.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:38 pm

From thread last week buried in gumph
killmaimburn wrote:Feel free to split when this gets annoying matt :D
mattjgilbert wrote: last week and this week: Star Wars X-Wing :)
Bob_to_Some wrote:
BANE wrote:Off topic but i would be intrested in you verdict on Star wars X Wing.

Me too!

I played 3 rounds of it last night..
> Its very fast, its like aeronautica but not having to think in 3 dimensions (that darn height slidy) makes the game much faster.
> Its fairly well balanced, unlike dreadfleet my opponent hadn't lost half his fleet and wasn't on fire by the time he got to me.
> its very like both of the above (but with the templates that FW doesn't provide) so if you can play them you can easily pick this up with almost no tutorial.

I played against the owner.
Round 1 2 tie fighters against one xwing with basic R2 upgrade.. Win for X wing/me
Round 2 2 tie fighters against one xwing with basic R2 upgrade (addedd terrain and swapped forces) win for squadron of tie fighters flying in perfect formation then hammer and anvil (me)
Then I took a named Y wing (really slow but synergy and hit points) and a named A wing (could shoot stuff it had by accident hit) against boba fett in a shadow vessel thingy[ edit slave 1] with secondary laser system, shock bomb thingy and one of cluster missile. I got his shields off but he/boba smashed me off the table.

V enjoyable game.. its the expansions that suck you in though.(and apparently some of those, e.g. the millenium falcon is £20+ for the model.. I pretty instantly worked out it wasn't awesome off the peg where as the relatively cheap upgrade to let the wookie fly it was awesome- possibly some balance issues on expansions.

A couple more games in... there isn't that much more too it.. Its a good knock about but not something you know core system that you'd play week in week out. Y wing is rubbish, Tie advanced is a good standalone buy.

For extra dice get 2 starter sets, its priced really oddly so that 2 starter sets is better than getting standalone bits and bobs after (if your mates with retailers its about 15+tax.. so the asda price is pretty good almost trade price)

Socaddict wrote: and significantly cheaper than finecast figures these days.(~£50, less than a GW battleforce).

Could we just shortcut and make this everyones signature so i don't waste my eyeball moisture reading this everytime i come here?
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby samuelgrimwade » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:54 am

Which club are you from Socaddict? myself and Chris are into this at Armageddon Inc. It is relatively simple and cheap to pick up i've found. however it will become a bit limited depending on what buids become popular - but hopefully with Fantasy Flight releasing new waves every now and again it will keep things spiced up through the various card upgrades that they add with each new wave. if your around armageddon inc sometime and have picked up the basic box set then give me or chirs a shout as we'd been keen to get more people playing. In fact that applied to everyone from armageddon inc - wanna test out or have a demo of star wars x wing - just give us a shout and we can sort something.

Sam
samuelgrimwade

Postby Socaddict » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Hahaha, I wish I had time to join a games club. I'm a newly qualified teacher at a ridiculously busy academy in London. Although Easter break is almost upon us, then marking (woo). I might see if dark sphere run it ever and pop down and join them on one of their game nights though...
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 am

Socaddict wrote:Hahaha, I wish I had time to join a games club..

If you don't have time for a games club, or to play stuff weekly etc.. Its a good fit, pick up and play game in a box (that just happens to play on a tabletop). Other peeps with a passable spatial awareness will be able to play as equals in about 10 minutes.
And not having time to thrash it out 3 times a week means you won't spot its downsides (just as like bringing it out as a backup at a games night) playing to all its strengths.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby skywalker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 pm

I like it as a game, its like Wings of War but with added doses of THE FORCE :lol:
skywalker
Cannon Fodder

Postby Taumaul » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Ive got just the thing for all you fellow X-Wing players:

www.gamingfigures.com/viewProducts.asp?action=viewproduct&product=6585
Taumaul
GamingFigures
Warlord

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:10 pm

I pointed yours out to a BGG guy last week who says he put in an order..(dunno whether he actually wrang you or went through his own peeps)..KR for the custom foam win.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Spack » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Taumaul, ever the salesman ... shame you haven't noticed that 1stcav have dropped the WoT signature images ;) Want me to fix that you for you?
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Next

Return to Anything goes

Social Links