Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Fortress of Redemption and Bastion

Want to show off your painted figures? Got a cool conversion? Need some ideas?

Fortress of Redemption and Bastion

Postby Spack » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Off sick today, but I couldn't just lie around doing nothing so I ended up breaking out the Fortress of Redemption which has been sat in my gaming pile since February. This is a good solid kit, although suffers from the usual problem of not fitting back in the box once it's been built!

First up, sprue pics. You get 4 identical sprues containing the walls for the tower, and walls for two end parts. Another pair of identical sprues provide the platforms for each end piece along with the lascannon turret (half per sprue). The final two sprues contain the platform that runs along the front of the fortress.

Image Image

The first part to build is the lascannon platform. The treadplate area is double sided - one way up it provides the raised platform for the lascannon, the other way up has the recessed missile silo. You could have two missile silos if you wanted, and simply place the turret on the silo cover, but this leaves it with the barrels unable to depress as far as it can raised up.

The missile platform is constructed in a similar way, and the central tower is just 11 pieces; 4 tall pieces with the angel motif, a platform that fits in the top, 4 pieces to make up the square base, and 2 buttresses that are fitted to the back of the tower. The kit is designed so that you don't need to glue the 4 sections together making it easier to transport and store.

Image Image

You also get additional "greeblies" to add on around the edges - 4 searchlights, 4 heavy bolters, and 8 ornamental pieces. I haven't added any to mine yet, although I will do once I get around to painting it. I might magnetise them and add little metal discs all over the crenallations so these parts can be moved around, and removed it necessary.

This kit makes a great focal piece for a table. It would look great in a corner, centred on a side, or even in the middle of the table with some additional fortifications (last thing you want is the enemy walking around the flanks and coming up at the rear!).
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: Fortress of Redemption

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:12 pm

This is a rediculously awesome piece of terrain. It looks like the sort of thing that should be out of the reach of mere mortals like ourselves. Its like something the studio had scratchbuilt, or something from Forgeworld - this shouldnt be an ordinary plastic kit!!

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Baragash » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:25 pm

^That.

Was looking at the one at WHW the other week, will definitely get one once my loft is sorted for gaming (been painting it this week, so progress is being made).

Dan... what's the length and width? I've got a 24"x24" 'centrepiece' base unused for my scenery, I assume it'll fit on that, but will I have to mount it diagonally?

Cheers :)
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Re: Fortress of Redemption and Bastion

Postby Spack » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Decided to build the Bastion kit I had too (can't find the barricades set though, very odd), and wanted to make it modular so it could be used as separate pieces, or made smaller if required (or larger with another bastion).

First up, the sprues. Two identical sprues make up the base and the top, two more identical sprues make up the mid section, and the other large sprue (it's folded to fit in the box) has the platform, lascannon turret, heavy bolters, a sensor/communications array, along with ornamental pieces.

The bastion is built in sections, and if you don't glue them together it's possible to break it down and fit it back into the box for storage. The platform is reversible - one side is flat with a hatch in a corner, the other side has a circular mounting for the turret. You can put the turret on with the flat side though, as you also get 3 mount pieces - one is rectangular with a closed access hatch, one is a ring with 3 support legs, and the final one is a raised block.

Image Image Image

Again, I've left of the little detail pieces. The heavy bolters are also optional - there are pieces that can be used in their place with parchment on the interior, and metal viewing hatches on the outside. The heavy bolter mounts snap into place so can rotate left and right a little, but the parts that hold the bolters into the mounts are a little too small to be glued so that the bolters can be raised and lowered, at least not with liquid poly type glue - superglue, or a gel may allow this with extremely careful application.

It's a nice modular kit - I'm tempted to make another floor/roof out of plasticard so it can be used as two smaller bunkers.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Spack » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Baragash wrote:Was looking at the one at WHW the other week, will definitely get one once my loft is sorted for gaming (been painting it this week, so progress is being made).

The one at WHW in February was the reason I bought this one while I was there :)

Baragash wrote:Dan... what's the length and width? I've got a 24"x24" 'centrepiece' base unused for my scenery, I assume it'll fit on that, but will I have to mount it diagonally?

It should fit into a square 20" x 22",so that will be fine. It's 14" high at the tower, each platform is 4" tall. If you look at the top down pic in the Planetstrike book you'll see that it's designed to fit diagonally across a 24" x 24" square with a little to spare.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby timewizard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:36 pm

I am building the bastion kit also. It's a nice kit, actually fits together quite well. I built it in sections also like you did Spack. As you said, it stores easier, and gives more options for setting it up.
In the future I want to get another one, then I could put 2 bastions on the table, or a 2-story bastion with a bunker.
As for fabricaing another floor, if you got a second model, you would get another floor, yes?
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Spack » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Yes if I get another one I'll have another floor - but then I still won't be able to put them out as 4, or 6, smaller bunkers as there will only be 2 floors :P
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby timewizard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:24 pm

:idea: A ruined bunker!

Then yes, you'll have to make another floor or two.
Would be nice to see a tutorial of how you do it! :eusa_whistle
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Nice kits. It's actually the size of them that puts me off though as I'm running out of room.

You know you know have to paint them Dan? We'll expect to see those finished tomorrow then...
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Spack » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:10 am

They won't be painted for a while yet :P Sunday will be a grey day scenery wise, as I'll be dragging out the FW resin stuff too.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby ruffian4 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 am

Ah, bless.
I remember that kit as an ickle wickle baby still in cellophane...
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Spack » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Found the Aegis Defence Line this morning :D Took a pic of the lot on the table, with a few items for scale.

As you can see the Fortress is huge compared to the Bastion. There's a Leman Russ tank in front of it with a large blast marker, and a normal blast marker at the other end. The small barricades and the autocannon are the Aegis Defence Line.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Return to Painting & Modelling - General

Social Links