Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Starter set advice

Starter set advice

Postby _stu_ » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:32 pm

My Bro (hi froggy) and I are looking at picking up bolt action in the new year, what would peeps say is the best way to buy in? Starter sets, or army books and army deals?
Last edited by _stu_ on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Medals: 16
Anvil's Hammer - 2nd Place (1) Gold Wreath (1) Gold (3) Silver (4) Painting Entrant (7)

Re: Start set advice

Postby Taumaul » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:54 pm

It all depends on which armies you like the look of. A great starter set is the D-Day Firefight box.

http://www.gamingfigures.com/viewProduc ... oduct=7146

Then you can build on from that with the army deals

Even better get one each and do a trade off.
Taumaul
GamingFigures
Warlord

Re: Start set advice

Postby markb » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Agree with Gav, the D-Day box is great provided you want to collect either Germans or Americans. Failing that the starter sets give you a standard 1000 point army. You don't really need the army books to start with as the main rule book has basic lists that you can use. If you don't want to shell out on the army deals just get a copy of the rules, a box of infantry each and some orders dice (these are essential), that would give you enough to play some intro games.
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Re: Starter set advice

Postby superfrog » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Sounds like good advice guys thanks very much. How do you guys find the game? I know its supposed to be a more casual kind of game than others that are similar, flames of war etc. I think that's the sort of game me and stu are after. Something we can pick up rules wise quite quickly and is fun to play casually rather than competitively, like xwing is for us atm (Correct me if im wrong stu. Lol). Certainly seems much simpler than 40k.

Cheers,
froggy
superfrog
Guardsman
Guardsman

Medals: 5
Gold (1) Silver (2) Painting Entrant (2)

Re: Starter set advice

Postby _stu_ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Picked up about 1200 pts of Ruskies over Christmas and had a couple of small skirmish games on the dining room table with froggy. First impressions are good, and its soooooo much more fluid than the behemoth that 40k is. Made a start on painting my dudes too. Trying to stick to the 'no more models till they are painted' rule....... only slightly failing so far....
Facebook @ Lividfish Paints
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Medals: 16
Anvil's Hammer - 2nd Place (1) Gold Wreath (1) Gold (3) Silver (4) Painting Entrant (7)

Return to Bolt Action

Social Links