Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Woohoo! New camera!

Discuss what you like

Woohoo! New camera!

Postby Spack » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:38 pm

Two weeks ago my trusty Canon Powershot S1 IS had a CCD failure, resulting in white lines across all photos. I've had this camera a few years now, and was disappointed that it looked like I'd have to buy a new one, but I went to the Canon site to check to see if there was maybe a firmware patch, or some other way of possibly rectifying the issue.

When I selected my camera model up popped a box telling me that in June 2007 there was an advisory notice posted about issues with the CCD is this camera model, as well as others (later digging around Google I found this issue affects models from many manufacturers, all of whom used Sony CCDs manufactured between 2002 and 2004), and so I contacted Canon support who told me I'd need to send my camera to a repair centre to have it checked.

In the UK this is handled by Colchester Camera Repair Service, so I printed off their repair form and posted off my camera. I rang a couple of days ago to ask what their normal turn around time is, and was told it's 1-2 weeks. They looked up my camera status, and told me that it was awaiting parts - good news, because that meant Canon were footing the bill so it was the suspected CCD failure. I was prepared for a wait while parts were sourced, but at least it was free.

Today (about 10 minutes ago to be more precise ;)) I received a phone call from Colchester Cameras - Canon are unable to get parts for my S1 IS, so would I like a brand new Canon Powershot S5 IS instead. I nearly leapt down the phone with a shout of YES. OK, there is a downside - I've got 4 Compact Flash cards (including a 2GB Microdrive) that I can't use any more, but I'll give these to my dad as he has a Samsung camera that uses CF, and I'll have to buy some SD cards instead but these are pretty cheap nowadays (and my TomTom and my wife's Canon Powershot A400 use them too so I've got more uses for them than just the S5).

Moral of the story - just because your equipment is out of warranty when it breaks it doesn't mean you should just write it off and buy a replacement :)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Truly the bird of fortune does lighten itself on your shoulder..
Joyous news dude
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Woohoo! New camera!

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Spack wrote:OK, there is a downside - I've got 4 Compact Flash cards (including a 2GB Microdrive) that I can't use any more

why not wait for the new camera to arrive, then give them a ring and say "what do you expect me to do with all these memory cards ive shelled out for? i shouldnt be out of pocket due to your product being faulty!". you never know, they might exchange one for you... ;)

congrats though mate :)

~ Tim
Last edited by LordMalekTheRedKnight on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Camera fun

Postby Herne » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi - Just thought i'd share my own camera story - I have a cannon Eos 350D SLR - which is a fantastic camera, but I need a smaller camera for my upcoming wedding - being the guy in the suit at the front I needed something small and thin that I can slip into my pocket.

(No thanks - keep your rude jokes to yourself - I know you were going to go there! :lol: )

Following a search i came across the Canon Ixus 70/75 which is a cracking little camera that takes a really good picture and handles low light and disco lighting really well. I figured this was a good choice as it is very small and slim so will slip in my suit pocket without looking bulky and is suitable for the 'evening do.' After searching for the last few months i couldn't find the camera at a suitable price - even online it was still knocking around at £130 to £150.

By pure chance I was walking around tesco when i spotted a special offer - the camera + a photo printer for £99! I didn't really want the printer - as I do most of my photo handling online and through discs - but my good lady said she'd give me £30 for it as she wanted one for her scrap booking hobby!!!! I was then looking at £70 for the camera!!! 8O To add to the sweetness a week later my good woman was in tesco again and tells me that the camera package price has gone back up to £169.90 - they must have had an error in the original pricing when i bought mine! Yahay!!!
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Re: Camera fun

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Herne wrote:I was then looking at £70 for the camera!!!

dont forget those clubcard points! ;)

and seeing as we are sharing camera stories...

a year or 2 back Kate and I won a digital camera (cant remember which one) from one of McDonalds' promotions (scratchcards, IIRC). checked online and it was worth £279! 8O

we already had a digicam (Sony Cybershot 3.2 megapixels, which was a wedding present from a friend) so we gave it to Kate's mum, younger brothers and sister, as a shared Christmas present. came in very handy when they came to visit/meet Seth. :D

plus we won a bunch of free food too. :lol:

~ Tim
p.s. this time we havent been so lucky: we still havent won any proper prizes with the Monopoly promotion (we have won a load of food though, and saved money with HMV) - we need 1 more property for all of the sets! :x
virtually no chance of us getting any more now though, as there is a "national shortage", apparantly. :(
oh, if anyone wants money off @ HMV (spend £9.99 get £2 off for example), drop me a PM. :D
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Spack » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:36 pm

My new S5 IS just arrived, and it's a really nice camera. There are some nice new features that the S1 didn't have (above the 3MP to 8MP jump) that are really neat - it has hardware facial recognition to help ensure photos of people focus in the right place, and the 2.5" screen is much better than the little one.

Also I've now got a Macro mode (the S1 didn't have this at all, although it was good at taking closeups), and it appears I can use the lenses and super macro filter I bought to use with the S1 too. It also has a built-in 1.6x and 2x digital teleconverter option which will still give crisp photos with no noticeable pixelation for 7" x 5" prints, and the 12x zoom is better than the 10x on the S1.

Plus I can use proper flash units with the S5 - however it doesn't have the auto-popup built-in flash that the S1 had, it now just pops up a message on the screen telling you to pull the built-in flash up; but the catches were sitcking on my S1 so I had to pull it up by hand anyway, so this won't make much difference to me.

Oh, and it's black instead of silver :)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Headhunter75 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:44 pm

Yea I have a Nikon Coolpix S10 and I LOVE IT. Oh btw Spack my I/O came in and I LOVE IT to.... THANKS A bunches man.
Headhunter75
Chosen
Chosen

Postby Spack » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:36 am

Headhunter75 wrote:Yea I have a Nikon Coolpix S10 and I LOVE IT. Oh btw Spack my I/O came in and I LOVE IT to.... THANKS A bunches man.

Great, that's the last package I can mark off my list as delivered :)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Spack » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:24 pm

And here it is (pics taken with the wife's A400, the flash makes the finish look more sparkly than it really is)

Image Image Image

Unfortunately the lens adapter for the S1 doesn't fit the S5, so I've put the ones I had up on eBay and I've got a Lensmate aluminium S5 adapter on the way from the US - the Lensmate for the S1 was exceptionally well made from aluminium with an anodised finish to match the S1 body, rather than the plastic ones Canon produce themselves, so the S5 should be just as good. This adapter will let me continue to use the Raynox Super Macro filter I have, plus any 58mm filters I want to mount (like a UV for most outside shots and to protect the lens).
Last edited by Spack on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Headhunter75 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:54 am

Well I only have one question..In the second pic, the display on the camera shows some weight scales. Now Spack what exactly are you weighting there mate??? I know what we uses scales like that for here in the State, but what do ya'll use them for?
Headhunter75
Chosen
Chosen

Postby Spack » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:40 am

I "borrowed" them from the kitchen, I use them to weigh stuff for working out what the postage will cost - like your shield, and the S1 IS adapters I put up on eBay about 5 mins before I took that pic ;)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby chromedog » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Congrats on your good fortune.

Now, all you need is a real camera :D

(Sorry, I give that to all of my friends who buy compacts and ask me for advice on taking photos. I use a DSLR or SLR EXCLUSIVELY)

Should help with your picture taking, though.
chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Spack » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Heh, I know it's only a compact. I don't think I could cope with a proper DSLR :P At least the S5 allows me to fit a teleconverter, wide angle lens, a range of filters, and my super macro filter, should I want to, but be easy enough to use as a point-and-shoot and just above small enough to get into my pockets (wearing combats helps here :))
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby chromedog » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:24 am

We do have (the wife and I) a digital compact as well, and I plan to use this when giving lessons on mini photography to friends. I do know how to use it, and I have used it for some mini photos before I got my DSLR,

I can show them "how to" all I want with a DSLR, but the actual process is different with a compact and (you can't usually frame the shot with the screen on a DSLR, so you HAVE to use the viewfinder), so it'll be easer for them to transfer the procedures to their own compacts.
That is not dead which can eternal lie

and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die
chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:04 am

chromedog wrote:Now, all you need is a real camera :D

Boo hiss :lol: ( a mate of mine to celebrate his last chance of freedom before his kid turned up went out and bought a £850 lens (it was discounted)...I said he was over compensating for something (its nearly 2 foot long when extended) and gave him a good hard slapping)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Next