Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

The Mira - Dark Eldar Rules, Tau Technology

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

The Mira - Dark Eldar Rules, Tau Technology

Postby DoctorThunder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Normally I don't do weblogs for my modeling projects, but for this one I thought it would be fun to try, so here's the first update for my new project: The Mira.

The Mira are an alien race that has joined The Tau Empire, not as mercenaries or vassal states, but as full-fledged members of the empire.

A quick little background:
The Mira's long tradition as a nomadic race came to an end when the shaman from all seventeen tribes were brought together by identical and power visions. In the first circle of equals held in centuries, it was unanimously decided that the will of the gods was clear, and for the first time, the Miran people all traveled as one, crossing the Damocles gulf, and declaring their wish to join the Tau Empire.

Rather than integrating small groups of Mirans into Hunter Cadres, Mira are organized into their own Cadres. This provided Tau Central command with something it had lacked in the past, which were detachments of hard-hitting assault troops, able and eager to engage enemy fortifications and enact boarding actions normally deemed too disadvantageous for hunter Cadres.

The Mira are a proud and honorable people, with a long and rich military tradition. Their weapons technology focuses on non-lethal devices, as they consider it highly dishonorable to take an enemy's life on the field of battle. They believe that an enemy's spirit must first be cleansed through years of physical labor before death, otherwise their souls will carry the stain with them when they are reincarnated, and pollute the next generation. They consider the Tau to be their spirit-brethren, and hope that long-term exposure to their own enlightened traditions will serve as an example that will eventually rid the Tau of their use of lethal weaponry.

Miran detachments and their unusual fighting dogma provide a steady stream of prisoners and slave-labor in Tau warzones where they operate. Ethereals frequently find it difficult to maintain a balance, attempting to neither offend their Miran allies by disuse of the prisoners, nor stray from the guidance of the Tau'N by excessive use of slave-labor and prison camps. Normally this balance is achieved by aggressive attempts to convert the prisoners to join the greater good, which allows Tau sensibilities and the media to look upon the act more as missionary recruitment rather than racial exploitation.

Okay, now onto the modeling, which is what I'm sure everyone wants to see.

I'll be using Dark Eldar rules to field this army, as I am not a fan of trying to convince other players that it's okay to use my house rules, and because I really like playing in tournaments.

So, the first thing we'll need is an equivalent to the Raider, built by The Earth Caste for Miran Kindreds, utilizing Miran weapons, which I call The Swordfish.

I started with a Pirana, since it is very similar stat-wise, and because The Earth Caste likes to use interchangeable components. I used legos to fill in the crew compartment (The Swordfish is Drone-piloted) and made the engine coming out the back to look more similar to the Raider and to give it a distinct profile so that people won't so easily assume that this is a normal Tau Army. I used Skyray parts to make the side planks where the squad stands, and the larger Devilfish chin-turret to house the Concussion Cannon, which is made from a gundam kit and counts as a Disintegrator. The small turret on top, made from the piranas normal chin turret, is a Concussion Grenade Launcher, which counts as a Horrorfex. At this point I'd say it's about 90% done.

Just click on a thumbnail to see a larger pic of The Swordfish:

More updates to come.
DoctorThunder

Postby Culven » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:08 pm

I like the fluff, how you intend to play the Mirans, and the conversion. The only thing I don't like is the vehicle's name. There was VDR vehicle, included in CA2004, called a Swordfish. It was a Battle Tank with Twin-Linked rainguns and Rocket Pods. Also, the name evokes images of a large fish. Your creation makes me thing of a smaller, nimble fish. Try looking into the fish related the the Devilfish or the Skate. Personally, if it were my creation, I would just call it a Skate and be done with it, but I'm somewhat lazy. ;)
Culven
Commander, Catachan XIII "Black Cats"
Pray that a Black Cat never crosses your path.
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Re: The Mira - Dark Eldar Rules, Tau Technology

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 pm

DoctorThunder wrote:Rather than integrating small groups of Mirans into Hunter Cadres, Mira are organized into their own Cadres. This provided Tau Central command with something it had lacked in the past, which were detachments of hard-hitting assault troops
I'll be using Dark Eldar rules to field this army

see, now this is exactly what i love to see people do - im a massive fan of using "counts as" to get rules to match fluff. sheer brilliance. i love how you put a spin on the DE taking captives mechanics, too. greatstuff! 8)

DoctorThunder wrote:So, the first thing we'll need is an equivalent to the Raider

you could have considered my subscribed even without the pics, to be honest - but that great conversion definately sealed the deal. i look forward to seeing where you take this project! :D

i have lots of questions, but i think il wait and see what developes first.

cheers :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby chromedog » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 pm

I agree with Culven,
Skate or another more nimble fish name would suit the vehicle better.

Nonetheless, I like the model conversion. Is that LEGO you used in the 'filling' of the piranha?

I've liked most of the stuff I've seen of yours DT. Keep up the nice work.
That is not dead which can eternal lie

and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die
chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby DoctorThunder » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:05 am

chromedog wrote:Is that LEGO you used in the 'filling' of the piranha?

Yep. When I was in Disneyland a few years back I stopped at Legoland at Downtown Disney market district, where you can fill up a big-gulp-sized cup of legos for just a couple of bucks. I used the opportunity to get a bunch of lego pieces that work well with 40K conversions. Those "vent" lego pieces, in particular, are solid gold and extremely useful because they don't look like legos once painted.

see, now this is exactly what i love to see people do - im a massive fan of using "counts as" to get rules to match fluff. sheer brilliance. i love how you put a spin on the DE taking captives mechanics, too. greatstuff! Cool

Thanks LordMalekTheRedKnight. It's comments like that which make this all worthwhile. :)

The only thing I don't like is the vehicle's name. Your creation makes me thing of a smaller, nimble fish. Try looking into the fish related the the Devilfish or the Skate.

I was planning on calling the gunboat version that counts as a ravager The Barracuda. Perhaps I could call it The Swordfish instead and call the transport The Barracuda? What do you think?
DoctorThunder

Postby Culven » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:41 pm

DoctorThunder wrote:
Culven wrote:The only thing I don't like is the vehicle's name. Your creation makes me thing of a smaller, nimble fish. Try looking into the fish related the the Devilfish or the Skate.

I was planning on calling the gunboat version that counts as a ravager The Barracuda. Perhaps I could call it The Swordfish instead and call the transport The Barracuda? What do you think?

The names still don't work. The Barracuda is the smaller Tau Flyer (model available here from Forgeworld). Swordfish still makes me think of the Tau VDR Twin-Linked Railgun version of the Hammerhead. Using these names would just lead to confusion. May I suggest the Ray and the Stingray for the Raider and Ravager, respectively? These names have not been used (to my knowledge), and so will not lead to confusion. I tried finding some names of Skates, but none of them really seem to fit.
Last edited by Culven on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Culven
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:22 pm

how about the Dart?

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby estarriol » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Use different fish, its the 'haddock'
--
estarriol

See my buildings at: www.templebuilder.wordpress.com

Home of 6mm Miniatures and offbeat 28mm Fantasy goodness: www.rapierminiatures.co.uk
estarriol
Mad Dok
Mad Dok

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Culven » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:49 pm

How about the Herring? They have been know to cut down the mightiest trees in the forest. Sounds pretty powerful to me. :)
Culven
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby KInG » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Ray and Stingray are themselves too alike for me although I love the Stingray. It goes with Skyray and the Raveger definately has a sting in it's tail.!

For the Raider I would use Sailfish. It is basically a Swordfish, has the word fish in it like Devil fish and the thoughts of a sail on a boat carrying passengers to war...

"The world's fastest fish - Top of this list is the Indo-Pacific Sailfish"
Last edited by KInG on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Culven » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:10 pm

I agree, I don't like "Ray" too much (it really needs an adjective), but I like the implication that a Stingray is similar to the Ray, but more dangerous.

Maybe calling the Raider a [colour] Ray, where the colour is whichever colour the model is painted. If all of the Miran vehicles are blue, then the raiders could be Bluerays, and the Ravagers could be Stingrays.
Last edited by Culven on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Culven
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby estarriol » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Surely the Ravagers would be called Sony's if they are paired with Blu-rays?
--
estarriol

See my buildings at: www.templebuilder.wordpress.com

Home of 6mm Miniatures and offbeat 28mm Fantasy goodness: www.rapierminiatures.co.uk
estarriol
Mad Dok
Mad Dok

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby KInG » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:28 pm

estarriol wrote:Surely the Ravagers would be called Sony's if they are paired with Blu-rays?

lol

@Culven, Blue rays aint the name of a fish tho... and we already have the Manta (Ray) without the ray being spoken.
Last edited by KInG on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Culven » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:55 pm

It might not be the name of a fish, but it sounds like it might be. Just trying out some ideas.
Culven
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby ruffian4 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:33 pm

Tiddler.
Planktonhead.
Stickleback.
Angler (it's this big...").
Silent sushi.
Roe.

I like swordfish, you could branch it out into different sword types from epee or misericord to honour blade??? Good luck. :D

EDIT. Actually, misericord does have some resonance here. It was a crude (sometimes triangular) dagger designed to find the weaknesses in a downed knights armour, to deliver the coup de grace and was known as "to have mercy", like the mercy seat connection in a way.
Last edited by ruffian4 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Next

Return to Project Logs

Social Links