Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

New 40K counters

Want to show off your painted figures? Got a cool conversion? Need some ideas?

New 40K counters

Postby timewizard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:56 pm

I got the new 40K counters when my rulebook (and craters) came, and finally got around to removing them from the sprue. I tried my cutters on a piece of sprue before I started in on the counters and am glad that I did. :confused2
The plastic they are made from is very brittle (it is however a real cool color) and I didn't want to risk chip out on each piece. I used a bone saw (a very fine jewler's saw) to cut them from the sprues, and have 1 entire "sheet" done so far with no chipping. A little tedious and time consuming, but it is a 'hobby' after all. :roll:
Anyone else find this to be true?
Passing along the info in case it helps.
TW
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: New 40K counters

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:02 pm

ive not got mine yet (picking them up from Ben at the meet-up). one thing that struck me when i saw them on the racks at the GW was how big they are - much bigger than the WD article made them look.

as to cutting them off the sprue, i have a nice heavy duty blade that might do the trick, failing that, i have a saw (thanks to Culven for both of those!).

one thing i have heard helps with the counters is filling in the symbols with paint so they stand out more from a distance.

hope that helps :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby timewizard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:10 pm

I'll be painting them to some extent (the symbols are really hard to see, even with my glasses on!) and will post some pics when I get them started. Just have to figure out how much of the counter I want to put paint on. As I said, they are cast from a really stand out color plastic and I wouldn't want to cover all of it.
Now I also have a few ideas rolling around in my head on how best to use the sprues and cut offs (thinking little lights and batteries, hmmmmm :roll: )
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm

I'd heard it was a stupidly fiddly thing (and matt talked about it) all around here ish
http://www.ageofstrife.com/modules.php? ... 3522#13522
I'll carry on using the ones I've got off here though :D
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:19 pm

timewizard wrote:Just have to figure out how much of the counter I want to put paint on.

how about just putting a wash/thinned down paint just into the recesses, and wiping the rest clean?

timewizard wrote:Now I also have a few ideas rolling around in my head on how best to use the sprues and cut offs (thinking little lights and batteries, hmmmmm :roll: )

ive got a paper cup half-full of all the offcuts from when i bought a bag of clear plastic flying bases. im thinking maybe using it to make broken glass on the floor next to windows...

ive also still got all my green Necron rod offcuts too. i did try melting them down, but the fumes were too overpowering. :o

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby ruffian4 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:44 pm

timewizard wrote:Now I also have a few ideas rolling around in my head on how best to use the sprues and cut offs (thinking little lights and batteries, hmmmmm :roll: )

Nice, like that.

I have been thinking about how to make "christmas tree" style string lights for my mine table...

I had originally thought, cable (yellow telephone) would be the element, but flourescent green...hmmm.

Cheers!
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby timewizard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:13 pm

ruffian4 wrote:I have been thinking about how to make "christmas tree" style string lights for my mine table...

I had originally thought, cable (yellow telephone) would be the element, but flourescent green...hmmm.

Cheers!

Maybe the remains of a 'cheap' fiber optic kit, a small hole drilled in a little green plastic 'plug' set into the wall?

EDIT:found this fellow's "experiments" on Dakka Dakka;
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 14889.page
Interesting ideas.
Last edited by timewizard on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:05 pm

A guy on Warseer broke his sprue cutters on those.
Ben
High Lord of Terra
Brother-Captain

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Ben wrote:A guy on Warseer broke his sprue cutters on those.

ouch. i better be careful then, as mine have sentimental value. although they are more substantial (and were cheaper) than the GW ones. i saw a pair of those snap cutting a part off a metal model at a GW store once (what, you mean they are just supposed to be used on plastic? :? :P).

cheers for the heads up, Ben. :)

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby timewizard » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:12 pm

Ben wrote:A guy on Warseer broke his sprue cutters on those.

I broke my first pair trying to cut through some thick plastic. Have't had that happen with my new cutter. But that's because if the plastic is too thick, I get out the jewlers saw. Live and learn!
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:34 pm

I dislike the counters immensely. I’m about halfway through trying to cut the first sprue out and couple of counters splintered on me. I’m looking at the whole set and wondering if I can use the plastic for Necron terrain...
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby IMF2000 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:02 pm

I just blasted mine out with the citadel cutters. Some small damage to some but on the whole they came out ok. Now it was a real pain to do, I've not used the counters yet or even considered using them.

Been a waste of time so far.
IMF2000
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Angelwing » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Will anybody be using the counters after a few games?
I've had counters from the battle magic, magic, dark millennium, etc supplements and never used any of them!
They sound like a good idea, but for some reason seemed to get ignored.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby timewizard » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:21 pm

IMF2000 wrote:I've not used the counters yet or even considered using them.

I'm going to give some of them a try. Might help a little (like the wound markers, have been using a D4 (left over from D&D days)
IMF2000 wrote:Been a waste of time so far.

The biggest waste I think will be the turn marker, I have a 36mm die on order to use as a turn marker :roll:
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Kate and I use counters already (Pinned, Markerlight, Bladestorm), so i think we will keep using these too (although we havent started using them yet, but you get what i mean). quite often we stop halfway through a game to see to Seth, or have something to eat, or watch a TV program - or even finish our game the next day - so anything that helps us keep track of whats going on is a benefit. they will even help us to just be able to concentrate on the action when we are playing, i hope.

has anyone tried using a dremmel or something to cut these off the sprue?

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Next

Return to Painting & Modelling - General

Social Links