Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

My WIP Stuff

Want to show off your painted figures? Got a cool conversion? Need some ideas?

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:12 am

The fluff says its part demon engine (it also talks(the quote in the bottom))but yeah does seem a tad odd.
Last edited by killmaimburn on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Baragash » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:34 pm

The Tower of Skulls, Plague Tower and Silver Tower are all Daemon Engines too though.

The Deathdealer, Brass Scorpion, Subjugator and Lord of Battles are the only ones I'd expect to have CC abilities.
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby Angelwing » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:12 pm

The epic model has choppy bits on the front, It should have some combat ability based on that.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby ruffian4 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Nice stuff baragash.

Have you got any pics/building tips for the plague tower???
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Baragash » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:48 pm

ruffian4 wrote:Nice stuff baragash.

Have you got any pics/building tips for the plague tower???

This is as far as I got so far:

To make the wheels thick enough to look sensible it needs two lids back to back, and I've only put balsa planks into 7 of the 12 so far.

Got a polystyrene bell for 99p in Hobbycraft, some tubs to fill with gunge for the side, some pipe from B&Q for the Puscannon, Baneblade Demolisher cannons, some straws, a dozen Chaos vehicle accessory sprues.......

The idea is to build a frame of square dowel, then fill it in with foamboard cut to appropriate shapes depending on the avarious balconies etc.
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby ruffian4 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Cheers! Keep us informed of progress.

I've been thinking about doing a plague tower for a while, but have never built anything on such a grand scale.

Just started a plague cult, so now seems like the time.

I was lucky enough to get a string of perhaps 15 bells for nowt (xmas decorations).
Will have to resist the temptation to put a fat nurgle "fairy" on top.

Looked at this for inspiration, but carving/sculpting skills are remedial. :oops:

http://www.gobstyks.co.uk/Projects/ptower.htm
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Baragash » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:33 pm

I've never tried to sculpt air dry clay, so I'm going to be hoping I'm a natural when I get to that step........ 8O

EDIT: So I had a quick doodle on the Tube home this evening, based on wemic's tower inspiring me:

Basically, 24 CoD panels, 1 crystal (Beam of Power) and 6 of the big dragon heads from the Chaos vehicle accessory sprue (Bolts of Change), one on each face somewhere. The two semi-circles are the engine looking pieces from the AdMech CoD, so there will technically be a front to the hexagon.

*delves into bitz box*

Also got a face from an uber-classic Chaos Dwarf war machine that I've had for over 10 years and never found a use for, I think that will find a home on it somewhere.

Bling it up with the stars and moons glitter shapes and more bitz from the Chaos vehicle sprues and done. Hopefully I'll find a way to make the Tower and its disc detachable from the stand.
Last edited by Baragash on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby Baragash » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Did some work on the Silver Tower today....

Bottom third on it's 11" diameter (size, it's always about size :roll: ) wedding cake tray:

It's blue-tac'd just for my visual benefit, as I figured it would be easier to create the middle tier hexagon and then line the bottom up onto that.

Middle tier hexagon:

And middle and top tier drying ready to have the windows filled in with some card, before attaching the bottom tier tomorrow:

Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby timewizard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:44 pm

Baragash wrote:6 of the big dragon heads from the Chaos vehicle accessory sprue (Bolts of Change), one on each face somewhere.

Maybe on the window panels? That is if the heads aren't so big that they block the entire window. You might even be able to drill out the dragon's eyes so someone in the tower could look out.
Baragash wrote:Hopefully I'll find a way to make the Tower and its disc detachable from the stand.

Pin them! I did this with the top floor of my basilica. I just used a couple of pieces of paper clips glued into the top floor, and I have corresponding holes drilled into the next floor. When I need to put the building to use, I just fit the pins into the holes.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Baragash » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:51 pm

Regarding the Bolts of Change, I'm actually looking at attaching some classic 80s Fantasy Sorcerors on the 3 balconies. The other idea is to mount 2 sets of the dragon heads on the balconies somehow.

Well, the 11" disc is due to have some 3/8" dowel supporting it, which is mounted on a 6" disc. What I want to do is have the flying stand detach from the bottom of the 11" disc. If B&Q have a suitably thin bolt I can fix into the dowel, I'm going to araldite a nut on either side of the disc so it screws through (with wood panels stuck on first to stop the disc from ripping when screwing).
Last edited by Baragash on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby timewizard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Got it! Maybe instead of a dowel to run the bolt through, you could find the right diameter tube (something like PVC or maybe even an old ballpoint pen barrell). I would agree that you need to reinforce the cardboard.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby chromedog » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:40 am

There was a model similar to the "doom blaster" in an old Citadel Journal "Dok Butcha's klinik" article as well (I think it was for a 40k scale one).

Nice work on that one, though. Shakes head at the amount of disposable income to use FW pieces as parts in a conversion.
That is not dead which can eternal lie

and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die
chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Baragash » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:08 am

chromedog wrote:Shakes head at the amount of disposable income to use FW pieces as parts in a conversion.

Well, I planned the 3 together, and it works out at ~£60-5 each (it just so happens the Doom Blaster absorbed most of it), ie the cost of a Baneblade.

Plus, I've spent 2 years studying outside work (and I'm not a big drinker) so my social life hasn't been so expensive.
Last edited by Baragash on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby Baragash » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:18 am

Well, here's where I'm at post-bank holiday weekend:

The Tower structure:

Underside of the Disc, with bolt that screws into the flying base, and wooden disc to protect the piece from the unscrewing process (although the nut has been Araldited in place):

Flying stand, wooden disc for stability and Araldited nut (which I will GS around too):

Action shots:
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby timewizard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:39 am

Looking good so far. Seems to be very stable as well! Nice job. 8)
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Painting & Modelling - General

Social Links