Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Cheaper (UK) alternative to GW Chaos Black Spray Paint?

Want to show off your painted figures? Got a cool conversion? Need some ideas?

Cheaper (UK) alternative to GW Chaos Black Spray Paint?

Postby mortiferum » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:18 pm

So - Just finished my last can of Chaos Black.

I've only ever used GW's Chaos Black spray for undercoating my models - though I can't help feeling that I'm paying a premium for the GW logo endorsed can and now the penny scrimp and natural bargain hunting tendancy in me, has had me wondering for sometime now, if there were cheaper and just as good alternatives?

I'm tempted to try a spray can of Halfords own brand of Black Spray - anyone had any experience of these?

Anyone have any alternative sprays they have personally used and would recommend?

Cheers

Morty
Last edited by mortiferum on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Re: Cheaper (UK) alternative to GW Chaos Black Spray Paint?

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:29 pm

isnt Halfords the brand that FW recommend?

i dont use spray undercoat anymore (asthma) - i do it all by hand... :cry:

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm

I've used halfords primer a few times. (the red is a strange terracotta colour- made my nids look like they were made out of clay :oops: ) I've heard good things about the grey.. couldn't find the blue... (I presume black and white are good) make sure you get the right stuff and not a gloss or finisher or anything.
Fine mist- even cover not to heavy.
Thumbs up
Last edited by killmaimburn on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mortiferum » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:03 pm

killmaimburn wrote:make sure you get the right stuff and not a gloss or finisher or anything.

isthis the correct stuff?
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby Spack » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:15 pm

That's not a primer, it's just a matt black spray. While that's a good replacement for the GW chaos black, I'd not recommend it as a primer (GW chaos black is a terrible primer as I find it flakes a lot).

Ideally you want to be looking at this or this. I've used a few cans of the latter (500ml) on GW metals, plastics, and FW models with no ill effects and they provide good coverage and a great surface for paint to adhere to.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby timewizard » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:13 am

I use Krylon or Rustoleum spray primers. They come in white, black and grey, all flat finish. I know these are US brands, but any good flat primer should do. I tried the GW and after I used it I decided to find a different product. The brands I use now have low odor and dry as well as GWs. Important thing is to test out the primer on a spare piece of plastic to make sure you like it.

@Tim, I have plans somewhere for a paint booth made out of a cardboard box, a box fan and a furnace fliter. It can be placed against a window. The filter contains the overspray and particle mess and the fan vents all the fumes outdoors. If I can find them, I'll PM you with the file (pretty sure it was a pdf)
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:34 am

timewizard wrote:@Tim, I have plans somewhere for a paint booth...

sounds awfully complicated, mate. :P

thanks for thinking of me, but i think i will stick to my current method. if i ever need anything sprayed really badly, i can always ask my dad to do it out his back garden. (TBH, its not just the asthma - i suffer from migraines too, so the smell of the spray paint while it dries does me in :oops:)

cheers though :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby timewizard » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:48 am

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:sounds awfully complicated, mate. :P
cheers though :)
~ Tim

It's not complicated at all! Uses boxes and some of "the force" (duct tape, it has a dark side and a light side, and it binds the universe together :roll: )

But it can't help with the odor of the drying paint. Long as you have a plan.
I can sympathize with the migranes, I know firsthand how bad they can be. My ex-wife had a headache that lasted 8 years! :wink:
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

grey spray

Postby Herne » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi all - thought I'd chime in - I've used the grey halfords primer for all my fw resin - it's far better than GW for sticking to cleaned resin - doesn't flake and gives a nice surface for other paint to key to. Haven't tried it, or any of their other colours, on other models though.
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Postby Firecrest_inc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:47 pm

I've used Halfords grey and black primer on models before, it covers brilliantly and like other posters have said, doesn't flake which is always handy.
Firecrest_inc
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Culven » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 pm

I have had bad experiences with primer. It tended to be rather rough, as though it was supposed to be sanded before the final paint coat was to be applied.

I prefer matte black or matte white spray paint for priming. I really prefer the black, but I use white for brightly coloured models (such as Brettonians).
*mumbles* Stupid Brets, still not done painting them, it's only been three years. */mumbles*
Culven
Commander, Catachan XIII "Black Cats"
Pray that a Black Cat never crosses your path.
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Return to Painting & Modelling - General

Social Links