Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Black Templar army

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Black Templar army

Postby reaver13 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:33 pm

Well as some of you have seen in my posts I'm trying to get ready for an 1850 tournament that is now only 3 days away, so I won't be making this one! lol. Looks like I'll have to try and make the one in september, but here is my army so far (well the stuff that is 75% done or better). I'm going to try and add to this each week as a way to motivate myself to finish in time. C&C appreciated as I work through all this, I'd definately like to win best painted army!

-Reaver

http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=btarmywa9.jpg

edit: On second thought, disregard the tank. It definately is not even close to being finished :oops:
Last edited by reaver13 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reaver13

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:07 pm

Very nice. Just a few questions.

What are you going to do with the base of the Emperor's Champion? Anything special?

Is that a metal devastator with the Heavy Bolter?

Are you going to freehand or use transfers for the Maltese Crosses?

People say Black Templar are a great army for people that don't like to paint. I think Necrons are. With Black Templar you have to work hard to keep the models from looking bad because there is no natural lowlight for black and too much grey looks bad.
Ben
High Lord of Terra
Brother-Captain

Postby timewizard » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Nice work reaver! The time and effort you put into your painting really shows. If you need more templar crosses or general decals, I cn recommend this place.
http://www.griffongames.com/labels/Decals.html
It's where I got the decals for my SMs. They make a quality product and the price is pretty reasonable. Looks like they are re-organizing a bit, but worth a look if you are in the market.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:21 pm

if its transfers you are after, dont forget that i am trying to sell some of mine... ;)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby reaver13 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:33 pm

As for the EC, I'm not sure yet. With the new wave of rulez lawyerz for 5th Ed. I probably won't be able to even play with him b/c he's too short! :lol: (Hopefully not) In all seriousness, I would like to do something with it, just not sure how it'd hold up for tourney play.

That's actually a plastic devastator! I wasn't aware of metal ones until a week or two back. I bought a box of Devs to inter-mingle into my squads based on my opponents (for weekend play of course).

I'd like to freehand my crosses, i've been painting tons on paper, just not comfortable enough to do it on my minis yet. I suppose time-wise it could be argued that Templars are very easy to paint, but I find they're hard to highlight and accent in a way that makes them stand out and not be bland. Either way, I'll take anyone to the tabletop against my BTs who thinks they're easy to paint! :evil: lol
reaver13

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:42 pm

I agree. I think the ease of painting is not true. Believe me, I have painted a fair share of Templars. ;)
Ben
High Lord of Terra
Brother-Captain

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Ben wrote:I agree. I think the ease of painting is not true. Believe me, I have painted a fair share of Templars. ;)

ive never painted a Templar (although i have painted white just enough to respect how much work it is), but i have painted Iron Hands. now that was an easy army to paint. :P
(although i admit that painting any army well is going to be hard work - but getting to a tabletop standard was too easy)

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Ben » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:45 am

Black Templar are deceptive. Sure just paint them black...oh yeah now you must make the shoulder pads white. Either way, I think they look nice when done. I did cheat a little though in that I used a good bit of red on vehicles (since red makes it go faster...just ask Blood Angels).

I look forward to seeing more reaver.
Ben
High Lord of Terra
Brother-Captain

Postby reaver13 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 am

So, I got a promotion at work to manager. Awesome right?! Not so, only 3 days into my new position I was showing this new hire how to properly do a certain task and blammo, severely injured my right arm. Big deal you say? Well it's my painting arm, and it has affected my ability to properly grip my paint brushes! So, alas my painting is severely slowed for the time being. (No worries, the injury won't leave any permanent damage) Anyways, here are some near complete termies along with the now 90% complete chaplain. And don't critique the banner too harsh, it's not exactly close to being done. (Oh and for fluff purposes, the banner colors will be my colors for my Crusade which shall be named the Damocles Crusade, fluff to follow one day)

-Reaver

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=termiesvo8.jpg
reaver13

Postby timewizard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:28 am

Best wishes on your recovery reaver! Hope it doesn't take too long. If only it wasn't your painting arm, you could milk it and stay out of work for a long time, but if you can't get any painting done, what's the point?
Again, hope you are back on your 'arm' as quickly as possible.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:37 am

reaver13 wrote:I was showing this new hire how to properly do a certain task and blammo, severely injured my right arm.

so the proper way of doing it leads to injury? what are you, a gladiator? :lol:

seriously though, get well soon!

reaver13 wrote:here are some near complete termies along with the now 90% complete chaplain.

looking good - i like the grey edging highlights on the Termies, and the white helmets look very crisp. :)

cheers

~ Tim
p.s.
timewizard wrote:...you could milk it and stay out of work for a long time, but if you can't get any painting done, what's the point?

err, dont you have daytime TV? :P
Last edited by LordMalekTheRedKnight on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby timewizard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:23 pm

timewizard wrote:timewizard wrote:
...you could milk it and stay out of work for a long time, but if you can't get any painting done, what's the point?

err, dont you have daytime TV?

Sure, I also have a 4 year old! Take a guess at the type of daytime TV I get to watch. :roll:
(Backyardigans, Wonder Pets, Spongebob :lol: )
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby KInG » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:14 pm

lol a gladiator :D:D:D

so you were showing him how to do it properly, and got hurt.... I bet the new guy really looks up to you ;)
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby reaver13 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 pm

LOL! It appears I must defend my honor. I work for a certain un-named worldwide shipper, and while at work a piece of equipment broke free of it's locks and it and a few hundred pounds worth of packages tried to crush me and my newbie :lol: However, you guys are partially right. I received a whole 5 days worth of training before being thrown into training new people, so I imagine half of what I'm saying is incorrect. :?

-Reaver
reaver13

Postby timewizard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:34 pm

KInG wrote:so you were showing him how to do it properly, and got hurt.... I bet the new guy really looks up to you ;)

Well, at the very least the new guy now knows how not to do it! :lol:
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Next

Return to Project Logs

Social Links