Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

AI is here!

Aerial combat in the 41st millennium

AI is here!

Postby Spack » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:19 am

My copy of Aeronautica Imperialis arrived this morning, along with my first batch of aircraft. And I was lucky enough to get one of the first 500 copies, signed by Warwick Kinrade :D

The rules are just 14 pages at the start of the book. This covers everything required to play the game. Following this are 12 pages of aircraft data sheets for the current model range (including the models due to be released soon), and there are 14 pages of scenario rules and squadron roster sheets at the back. Two sheets of cards are loosely inserted inside the book to be cut up. The rest of the book is background info on the complete list of aircraft included in the initial release, including various colour schemes, cut away diagrams, scale drawings, all similar to those found in the Imperial Armour books.

The Imperial Navy models are incredibly detailed (I ordered 2 Thunderbolts, 2 Valkyries, and 1 Marauder Destroyer), but these have all been available for a while now anyway, these are the same models as released for the Epic range but include the AI bases. I also ordered some AA guns, both Hydras and Manticores - I might as well start planning my defences ready for the first game :P

I'll post again when I've had chance to read through the rules and scenarios.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby AdrianG » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:55 am

*Grumble Grumble*
Pre ordered mine and it still hasn't arrived :x
Two questions.
It sounds a bit thin, how many pages it got?
And is it actually worth £35?
AdrianG
Apprentice Lurker (Still)
Captain

Postby Spack » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:04 pm

I ordered mine on the 23rd Dec.

It has 175 pages - it's about as thick as Imperial Armour Volume 4. Pages 5 to 19 are the rules, 20 to 33 the datasheets, 34 to 147 the info sections (background, colour schemes, etc), 148 to 161 the scenarios, 162 to 165 the campaign, 166 is the record sheet, 167 to 175 are the appendices (fighters and bombers quick reference sheets).

Did you think the 40k hardback rulebook was worth £40? If did, and I think this is worth £35 (definitely if you don't have the Imperial Armour books, and even if you do there is more info in this book than the aircraft entries in the IA books).
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby matty570 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:56 pm

I ordered mine on 22 December and havent received mine yet!! so am a bit peeved!!!

So is it only the aircraft that they have out now thats included, if so thats a bit naff since I was hoping that theyd have more chaos stuff.
matty570
Chosen
Chosen

Postby Spack » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Pretty much.

Chaos: Hell Talon, Hell Blade

Orks: Fighta, Fighta Bomba, Grot bomb

Imperial: Thunderbolt, Lightnings, Valkyrie, Vulture, Marauders, Arvus, Aquila

Space Marines: Thunderhawks

Tau: Barracuda, Tiger sharks, Orca, Manta

Eldar: Nightwing, Phoenix, Vampires

As new models are designed and created new rules will be released.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby matty570 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:04 pm

lol, doesnt sound as though they've really done alot for the whole release thing then, oh well good old forgeworld...

Hopefully they wont charge for new rules as new stuff comes out, I can see them trying to do the same thing that they do with the imperial armour books, theyll bring out new models then everyone will have to buy a very expensive book to know how to use them... oh well shame I enjoy the hobby so much... damn them....
matty570
Chosen
Chosen

Postby Spack » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:12 pm

The rulebook does say they'll be releasing rules on the site, but I'm guessing they'll be trial PDFs and there will be updates like they do for Imperial Armour. I can't see FW giving anything away for free :(
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Spacedwarv » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:23 am

Is Ai worth 35 quid + the models? I would want to play and Im not sure if 10 dollar planes are worth it either When you play a game could you please post how it goes?
Spacedwarv
Guardsman
Guardsman

Postby AdrianG » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:39 pm

*Big Cheesy Smile*
Mine arrived this morning. :D A signed copy too ( to go with my signed IA 4) :)
I've had a quick flick through it, and it's not bad.
I think personally, it's a £30 book. Though that probably counts as being picky. :lol:
Now all I gotta do is decide what aircraft to "obtain".
AdrianG
Apprentice Lurker (Still)
Captain

Postby Spacedwarv » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Im stateside and we have a crappy government right now so forge world stuff costs all more thatn it used to
Spacedwarv
Guardsman
Guardsman

Postby matty570 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:16 am

Well finally received the bloody thing... I actually quite like what they've tried to do and hope to try a dummy game some time soon to give it a spin, they've put some interesting stuff in the book and it seems well written as well. The only disappointing factor is that chaos only have 2 craft.... although I suppose you could use imperial ground defences and class them as traitor guard or something....
matty570
Chosen
Chosen

Postby Spack » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:31 am

Don't forget that the rules only include the aircraft and ground defences that FW have already produced, or are about to release. As new models are designed, new stats will be released along with them, so Chaos might well get more - a Dreadclaw would fit, and they need ground defences.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby matty570 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:33 am

Yeah I know its just that I'm impatient and want to get a list sorted soon, also what did you think of the chaos fighters, they're dirt cheap but not many shots
matty570
Chosen
Chosen

Postby Spack » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:21 pm

Yeah, but you can get more of them in a list, spreading out your hits across more targets which should make it harder for you to get below 50% and so end up disengaging.

If you want heavy armour and lots of shots, go with Imperial Navy painted up as traitors. If you want small fast Chaos fighters stick with them for now. Personally I'd be happy if an opponent wanted to mix Chaos fighters and Imperial Navy aircraft.

I'm also tempted to pick up some Tau ...
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby matty570 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:21 pm

True, I suppose they do have there advantages, I guess I wont really know how they play until I actually use them!! I quite like the idea of doing a traitor legion but I'll have to wait and see. And yes the tau stuff looks nice and there is so much of it!! The manta has incredible stats especially when each hit point only costs about 6 points and it has sooooo many weappons.

Also no necron??!! Granted monoliths are very slow so easy targets and I guess they dont really use anything else, but surely there must be something...
matty570
Chosen
Chosen

Next

Return to Aeronautica Imperialis

Social Links