Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

New feature: disable signatures and/or avatars

Please post help requests in the Helpdesk forum. This forum is to be used for discussing the site, and events/projects.

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:25 am

KInG wrote:i said I was the noob !! :(
)
Also helps that spack fixed teh code that made that work (I was ploughing at it for a good couple of days wondering why I couldn't do what Tim could :lol: .

Re avatars..I've been having a fiddle (Mostly with the old jasc animation shop) I can't make anything gif like that is less than 8kbs
I was just wondering a few things
1) how many folks here think moving gifs are the most annoying distracting thing in the world and how many folks think they are neat.
2) What kind of sliding scale of performance drop\cool factor sounds permisiable.e.g at the mo its (80 x 80 pixels 6kb) Warseer is (80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB) Dakka is (120x120 no kb limit listed)
So if I say the image below took me an hour to shrink to 9kbs (is stripped of nearly all colour and is only 5-6 frames..
And the big one is the original

I would advocate that pushing the avatar size up to 14-18kbs is reasonable and allows us to have a bit of fun.
However I appreciate that as asked point1 this might not be everyones cup of tea and as point 2 it might slow stuff a bit..so what are folks views on each point?

EDIT it also means that new folks defecting from others sites can easily port over their avatars without too much hassle if we went up to say 19.5 :)
Last edited by killmaimburn on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Spack » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:34 am

I'd suggest making the animation a little slower, and also having a pause so it's not continually repeating.

Personally I find them distracting.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:49 am

Spack wrote:I'd suggest making the animation a little slower, and also having a pause so it's not continually repeating.

Personally I find them distracting.

agreed.

although subtle ones i dont mind so much (wasnt it Lord Blackfang that had an anime character look from left to right ever so often, or something? theres also one somewhere that morphs from an Ork to a CSM - that one doesnt bother me either).

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby KInG » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:17 pm

horrible :?
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:22 pm

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:although subtle ones i dont mind so much

Lord BFs blinked. Latros (the morphing one)has had a mod tell him it causes him a headache.
My Warseer one smokes (from starcraft but custom shrunk) a lot of pixel motion but probably meets what you describe as subtle
I can't add pauses or dead frames to one above without it getting larger minutely .(another reason to up the limit :lol: )
I think in the end the selling point is the allow new users to import "their" avatars...(rather than it being "hay let me play! I wanna play!..Let me play! wahhhh :cry: ) ;)
Last edited by killmaimburn on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:26 pm

killmaimburn wrote:Lord BFs blinked.

ahh yes. i miss that actually... :(

killmaimburn wrote:Latros (the morphing one)has had a mod tell him it causes him a headache.

yeah i never got that myself.

killmaimburn wrote:My Warseer one smokes

lol your 'seer one was an obvious example of one i dont mind that i totally missed. :oops: :P

i'd have no problem with that one here at all (quite pretty actually, in an evil kinda way :lol:).

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby KInG » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:26 pm

i see ur point now. u aren't trying to annoy us with annimated avatars, ur trying to make the move to AoS more user friendly? :)
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:50 pm

Thats the monkey, if I wanted to annoy you I'd have some nice mandelbrot\chaos colour rotation thing that would give everyone seizures :P
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Spack » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:31 pm

killmaimburn wrote:I can't add pauses or dead frames to one above without it getting larger minutely .(another reason to up the limit :lol: )

It should make no difference to the file size - all you need do is adjust the display time on some of the frames to a few seconds rather than the min delay you appear to have no. No extra frames, and the delay value is there anyway you're just adjusting it. If you can send me the source frame images I can demonstrate with Adobe ImageReady.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Ok so ishouldn't try to fool you they just look darned nasty, here it is with a pause and 6.8kb (still too big)
and the 2 that I think king thought I might kill the site with (I've got a good gig of gif worthyness :wink:
And of course the one thats awesome but will never fit

For some reason you have to click em to activate em
Last edited by killmaimburn on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Previous

Return to The Site

Social Links