Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Sons of Mars (AdMech SM) 4th ed -> 5th ed

Post your army lists here!

Sons of Mars (AdMech SM) 4th ed -> 5th ed

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:00 am

Hey all :)

Ive been lucky enough to sneak a peak of parts of the new SM Codex, and as a result i have been able to update one of my lists: The Sons of Mars.

first, a little background: The Sons of Mars are a top-secret AdMech project - they are Space Marines created illegally using stolen geneseed (either recovered from the battlefield, or taken from quality-control samples submitted by the Astartes). the project is still in its early stages: so far very few Marines have been sucessfully created and are trained ready for battle. these Marines form task forces sent on important missions (either retrieving artifacts, hunting down heretic techpriests, or collecting more geneseed). they are armed with the best weapons and equipment, and each of their Sergeants carry a Narthecium & Reductor, in order to remove and preserve the geneseed of their fallen comrades, and that of their targets too...

im in the process of building the force, using DA Vets (robed Marines).

originally i wrote my list for 4th ed, using the 4th ed SM Codex. it was designed to be a balanced and varied list, for friendly fluffy games. here's what i took:

Code: Select all
Sons of Mars - 4th ed SM Combat Patrol [400 Points]

TRAITS
Advantages: Take The Fight To Them & Purity Above All
Drawbacks: Aspire To Glory (Major) & We Stand Alone (Minor)

Tactical Squad #1 [10 models + Transport - 225pts]
Veteran Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Axe, Narthecium & Reductor, Bionics, Frag Grenades
8 Marines: Bolt Pistols, Chainswords, Frag Grenades
1 Marine: Melta Gun, Frag Grenades

Tactical Squad #2 [7 models - 175pts]
Veteran Sergeant: Bolter, Narthecium & Reductor
4 Marines: Bolters
1 Marine: Plasma Cannon
1 Marine: Plasma Gun

now, with Traits gone (and replaced by army-wide special rules granted by named characters beyond the scope of CP), the first thing to go were the Nartheciums and Reductors (now they will just be for show). Bionics are also out. i couldnt give the CC Tac Squad CCWs & BPs anymore, so i had to take them as an Assault Squad (without Jump Packs). this meant they couldnt take their Melta Gun. also, the shooty Tac squad had to go up to full strength now in order to take Special/Heavy weapons.

here is my preliminary draft of my 5th ed SoM CP list (just over the pts limit, more on that below):

Code: Select all
Sons of Mars - 5th ed SM Combat Patrol [410 Points]

Tactical Squad [10 models - 180pts]
Sergeant: Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades
7 Marines: Bolters, Bolt Pistols, Frag & Krak Grenades
1 Marine: Plasma Cannon, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades
1 Marine: Plasma Gun, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades

Assault Squad [10 models - 230pts]
Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Axe, Frag & Krak Grenades
7 Marines: Bolt Pistols, Chainswords, Frag & Krak Grenades
1 Marine: Plasma Pistol, Chainsword, Frag & Krak Grenades
1 Marine: Flamer, Chainsword, Frag & Krak Grenades
Rhino: Storm Bolter, Smoke Launchers, Searchlight

so i have gained:
- 3 more Marines in the shooty squad
- Pistols, Frag & Krak all round
- a Rhino that can transport either squad
- Combat Squads

i have one less Troops choice (which is a shame in 5h ed Objective games), but they have the option of splitting into Combat Squads when needed. ive lost some resilience (Narthecium & Reductor), but gained more models to start with, a Transport to cut down the time it takes to cross the board, and which can be used as mobile cover.

i must admit, i am pretty pleased with how this turned out. the Nartheciums, Reductors and Bionics dont need to have special rules in order for them to look cool and fit the theme - just like all the purity seals, scanners, scopes etc that i was already fitting to the models just for show.
im glad now that i didnt buy any more robed marines (i was worried that my force wouldnt be legal and that i would have to split it into 2 separate forces), and that i kept my 3 spare robed bodies when i sold off all the spare parts from the DA sprues. ive also got a spare Rhino that i got cheap as part of the DA boxed set, so thats not an issue.

the only decision left to make now is whether to drop the Plasma Pistol or the Flamer from the Assault Squad to get the list to 400pts.
the Plasma Pistol fits the theme a little better (both the heavy and special weapons in the shoot squad are Plasmas), but has a risk of overheating (and i dont have any Nartheciums anymore to negate that). if i dropped it i would have 5 pts spare, which could give one of the Sgts Melta Bombs, or give the Rhino a Dozer Blade. the added mobility from the Rhino would get the Flamer into range sooner, and the Krak Grenades all round combined with hitting Rear AV would help with short ranged anti-tank duty. isnt a Flamer just as good against MEQs than a single shot from a Plasma Pistol (or better, when factoring Inv Saves/5th ed Cover abundance)?

as you can probably tell, i think i might have made my mind up. anyone fancy trying to change it? Plasma Pistols are cool, but i themed the army with Plasma back when i could use the ignored overheat wounds due to the Nartheciums to represent it being better made, and i dont have that luxary anymore...

thoughts? (both on this decision and the list/transition in general) :?:

cheers :)

~ Tim
Last edited by LordMalekTheRedKnight on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Re: Sons of Mars (AdMech SM) 4th ed -> 5th ed

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:53 pm

EDIT: i moved this thread while i double-checked my calculations. turns out i made a mistake (wasnt adding the Sgt to the number of Marines in the unit when working out the cost), so i have corrected it and put it back. :oops:

sorry for any confusion! :)

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:33 pm

Its a shame you would struggle to put vanguard in as a straight swap for the assault marines.. it would much better represent the whole "better equipment thing" (6 in a razorback was the start of my shuffle but it got messy)

2 off the wall lists that follow the concepts of your fluff (if you have the bitz lying around to try out or your opponent is forgiving)
10 scouts with heavy bolter and 4 sniper rifles, and 4 with combat blades with the sergeant, split.
10 Sternguard elites with super morphing power weapons. (brings in your tzeentch if you want)
(best weapons best equipment with a flavour of youth)

Or
5 scouts with the heavy bolter (snipers?)85
and
10 vanguard (your assault marines but with better equipment, comes with pwr sword)in a rhino
leaves you enough for an attack bike or a basic speeder.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:54 pm

killmaimburn wrote:Its a shame you would struggle to put vanguard in as a straight swap for the assault marines.. it would much better represent the whole "better equipment thing" (6 in a razorback was the start of my shuffle but it got messy)

i was thinking Sternguard actually (swapping bolters for BP & CCWs), but they wouldnt all fit within the available pts.

ive got to use the models i already have, you see...

Veteran stats arent really justifiable anyway (they are n00bs not Vets). :oops:

killmaimburn wrote:2 off the wall lists that follow the concepts of your fluff ...
10 scouts...

Or
5 scouts...

no scouts in this force im afraid (i think the AdMech are skipping that step). i will have an entirely separate all Scout (true) SM force (Fists of Wrath) and a squad of Scouts in my BA when i get round to them (im thinking of using the SM book instead of the minidex so i dont need Death Co in a Patrol "OK, me and the lads are just popping down the shops - BLAARGH KIIIIIIILLLL!!" :roll:). but the Sons of Mars will all be robed Marines.

cheers for the suggestions though :)

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:57 pm

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:Veteran stats arent really justifiable anyway (they are n00bs not Vets). :oops:
they have digi weapons and master crafting and custom CCWs that the statline indicates :P
inside the termie armour is Ted drunk on his day off its all automated in admech world.. you just need to keep pressing the button.
Last edited by killmaimburn on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to 40K Army Lists

Social Links