Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Morty’s Scratchbuild Project Log - Photos

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Postby jlong05 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:49 pm

That is simply amazing for Scratchbuild work. So, my question is "When will you be scratchbuilding the Warhound Titan?"

Cause that would be a scratchbuild I would be interested in buying as it woudl HAVE to cost less then the FW model. And based on the Rhino, would look WAY better. :wink:
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby mortiferum » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:15 pm

September 2008

jlong05 wrote:That is simply amazing for Scratchbuild work. So, my question is "When will you be scratchbuilding the Warhound Titan?"

Ask and ye shall receive...its slow going...not as cheap as i thought it was going to be (but still loads cheaper than FW), though it is challenging and fun to build.

mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby mortiferum » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:21 pm

One foot assembled and added a few pistons...

mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby jlong05 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:10 pm

I like it. Looks very good and based on the Rhino, I know the additional details will really flesh everything out.

What estimates are you looking at for total cost based on what you have done/seen so far?

Just curious.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby mortiferum » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:34 pm

jlong05 wrote:I like it. Looks very good and based on the Rhino, I know the additional details will really flesh everything out.

What estimates are you looking at for total cost based on what you have done/seen so far?

Just curious.

Wasn't really of consideration when I started the titan build - I was merely interested in it as a scratchbuild project rather than a need to field a Warhound (never played an Apoc battle - though I do have the book), having said that once I finish the project I'm sure I'll be itching to road test the Warhound :D

I was originally thinking that the cost would be nothing more than the cost of the sheet plasticard and glue.
ing
However, as the build progresses I find myself experimenting and investing endlessly in and with the following...

ABS / PVC pipes
circle compass cutter
plastruct shapes
different plastic glues
magnets
new craft knife - I bought a cheapo one (£0.59) - needless to say its broken already and I need another.
...and ill be investing in some scrim tape tomorrow :D

Each in itself is not too expensive but the costs soon mount up and I reckon I've spent £50 already on this project. :(

It is fun though, I enjoy all the researching, experimenting and building, thinking ahead I still need to determine a paint scheme aswell!
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby Firecrest_inc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:52 pm

The total cost for paint, materials, magnets, LEDs etc for my warhound was £50. I just need to attach a metal chain between his legs for the banner it will finally be deemed finished in my eyes.
Firecrest_inc
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mortiferum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 am

Made a start on the legs and thighs - the joints are made from ABS / PVC plumbing pipes, wrapped with the thinest plasticard and glued with the Bostik all purpose plastic glue. The ends are capped off with a circular plasticard disc - cut with my new circle cutter. The first joint up from the ankle is double pinned and supported with the pistons like struts.

Also started some detailing on the legs, toes and greaves, adding in armour plates, trims and rivets.

mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby ruffian4 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:59 am

Wow, morty, you is V talented.
Excellent stuff.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:54 am

yes, that is looking great! :D

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 am

That's looking amazing.

How much would you make these for for sale!?
Last edited by mattjgilbert on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Ljundhammer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:24 am

That's a sexy leg!

Move over Mrs Robinson - I can't see the Titan!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby mortiferum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks for the kind comments...

No plans on making these to sell - I don't think its even allowed or that the template author (Warseer=lackofbettername?)would approve?

Though I did see a Warhound titan scratchbuild (basic assembly and undercoated black) sell on Ebay a few weeks back for well over £100 + P&P 8O

Linky

I'm thinking ahead and contemplating paint colour schemes for this beast! Done a bit of web research and discovered that there are titan legions and each have there own colour schemes, I've been able to find 2 so far ... Warprunners = Blue with red / orange flame effects, Griffins = Yellow and Grey (For those interested, Forgeworld website and there titans are a good source for examples).

None of the two colour schemes above I particulary like, presumably there are more legions and confirmed colour schemes, any help in these area would be gratefully received? Failing this I think I just might devise my own colour scheme (is this allowed from an official fluff point?)
Last edited by mortiferum on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby Firecrest_inc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:30 pm

yeah I saw that titan on ebay, bid on it as well. Mainly because the guy had used resin to construct most of it, so it will of been very sturdy in comparison to my plasticard version.
Firecrest_inc
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jlong05 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:26 pm

I also would like to say that is shaping up quite well. As for building to sell. I am unsure why there would be a problem. Its all scratchbuilt with your personal level of detailing. I don't see why you couldn't see these off. Now the cost may be prohibitive based on your time and such.. I know the price for the ebay one is way out of my range.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:45 pm

I think that leg needs..... rivets!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs