Post your army lists here!

2000 point Salamanders Drop Pod list for review

Postby DoctorThunder » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:03 am

2000 Points
Uses Rules From Codex Space Marine
Models: 61 Vehicles: 12

HQ:
Vulkan He’stan (1)
Vulkan He’stan with Master Crafted Relic Blade, Heavy Flamer, Digital Weapons, and Salamanders Cloak. (190 Points)

Elites:
Dreadnaught (1):
Dreadnaught with Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer. (115 Points)
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Dreadnaught (1):
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Dreadnaught (1):
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Troops:

Tactical Squad (10):
7 Marines with Boltguns, 1 Marine with Plasma Gun, 1 Marine with Multi-Melta, and 1 Sergeant with Combi-Flamer. (190 Points)
Drop Pod with Deathwind Launcher (55 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
7 Marines with Boltguns, 1 Marine with Flamer, 1 Marine with Multi-Melta, and 1 Sergeant with Combi-Flamer. (180 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
7 Marines with Boltguns, 1 Marine with Flamer, 1 Marine with Multi-Melta, and 1 Sergeant with Combi-Flamer. (180 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
Drop Pod (35 Points)
DoctorThunder

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:21 am

To those not in the know including he'stan means all the (H) flamer and (multi)melta weapons are twin linked..Thunderhammers are mastercrafted too.

I can't help thinking that a bit of after striking mobility would help you.. but when I've used the fast attack to make a hestan list it looks weaker..Then again at 1500 he generally doesn't ring my bell (I'd have to lose 2 deathwind squads and still find 20 points of savings somewhere else meh)

I think the drop pods certainly provide a viability that your force would otherwise lack,very 'in your face'.. I can see you dealing with hordes- but only by DSing right into the middle of them deploying out of the drop pods for optimal shooting (split combat squads multimeltas go for the big stuff flamers disperse for maximum first shot kill on nearest horde) but then ..you hoof it back for the objectives or you write off one of you big units as standing way back and only dakkaring from afar?
Last edited by killmaimburn on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:54 am

That's a lot of flamers! You're kind of short range though so you need the pods to help you spread across the board. I think it could be quite a nasty list to play against but if an opponent can isolate and pick of the individual squads the don't have the numebrs or CC power to survive for long. The list requires you to get in fast and hard and do all the damage on the turns you arrive.

With the rerolls that sounds like it's going to work but you aren't going to win in a long range firefight!

Why the plasma gun in one squad?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Ljundhammer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 am

I like it.

There are a couple of things I'd change though.

1) You have no counter charge ability on your squads. I admit that anything that survives the round of smackdown that you will present on dropping may be deminished. However, most mildly assaulty squads will mince your tactical squads in a matter of a couple of turns max. The Dreads can help with this, however, they may scatter & with armour 12, marines can hurt them (all marines have grenades now), and imperial dreads are pretty pants in combat anyway...

You will be dropping into the 12" sweet zone in most cases, a power fist (scrap that - take thunder hammers) is imperative at this range (even a power sword would help...). It'll make your squads more flexible & survivable

2) Take homing beacons on your first-wave pods - that way you can guarentee anything that comes in on turn 2 can bolster any areas where you are looking dodgy, or still have the option of podding miles away for an objective...

3) The Deathwinds look kind of redundant in the army, the sheer number of bolt-gun shots should do the job without them - save those points - to get assault potential into your squads & homing beacons.

Other than thaty it's a good concept - I think DropPod armies are going to be good in this codex.

James
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby boomstick » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 am

Having so much copy and paste units this army comes across to me as a little boring. In terms of gaming i think the lack of combat will hurt as mentioned and if your opponent is smart with putting his units in reserve to come on after you then your mobility will be hindered and your short range weapons will be a massive restriction.
boomstick

Postby DoctorThunder » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:03 am

mattjgilbert wrote:Why the plasma gun in one squad?

I had ten points left over, and since Vulkan provides a heavy flamer to the squad he joins, I figured I'd add a little diversity to the firepower of that squad.

Having so much copy and paste units this army comes across to me as a little boring.

Military formations are very cut and paste. I think it makes the army fluffier this way. An army does not need to be interesting on paper, it only needs to be interesting to play.

if your opponent is smart with putting his units in reserve to come on after you then your mobility will be hindered and your short range weapons will be a massive restriction.

That is certainly an option that people have, but in my experience with pods in 5th edition, in 2/3rds of the missions, that means an auto-win for me, because they won't have enough turns to get through me and to the objectives I'll have landed on. And my pods create walls that they have to destroy to move through, and become dangerous terrain afterwards. So, go right ahead and put your whole army in reserve, I say.

For other situations, the reason I have the dreads is to give me some control over what is in my first wave. By putting the dreds in the first wave, I can delay the tac squads.

Also, keep in mind that I don't have to use Drop Pod Assault. I can roll for my reserves normally if I want to and start coming in on turn 2, so it ends up being very similar either way.

3) The Deathwinds look kind of redundant in the army, the sheer number of bolt-gun shots should do the job without them - save those points - to get assault potential into your squads & homing beacons.

I think you are right about assault weapons for the sergeants. Homing beacons, however, I think would be a waste of points, as pods are already insanely accurate on a cluttered board.

Okay, here's the new version of the list. What I've changed is to give the first two tac squads a meltagun and a combi-meltagun (which can be combat-squadded to take on two different tanks when they land) and to drop the deathwind launchers in favor of power swords on some of the sergeants.

2000 Points
Uses Rules From Codex Space Marine
Models: 61 Vehicles: 12

HQ:
Vulkan He’stan (1)
Vulkan He’stan with Master Crafted Relic Blade, Heavy Flamer, Digital Weapons, and Salamanders Cloak. (190 Points)

Elites:
Dreadnaught (1):
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Dreadnaught (1):
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Dreadnaught (1):
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Troops:

Tactical Squad (10):
7 Marines with Boltguns, 1 Marine with Meltagun, 1 Marine with Multi-Melta, and 1 Sergeant with Combi-Meltagun. (185 Points)
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
7 Marines with Boltguns, 1 Marine with Meltagun, 1 Marine with Multi-Melta, and 1 Sergeant with Combi-Meltagun. (185 Points)
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
7 Marines with Boltguns, 1 Marine with Flamer, 1 Marine with Multi-Melta, and 1 Sergeant with Combi-Flamer and Power Sword. (195 Points)
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
7 Marines with Boltguns, 1 Marine with Flamer, 1 Marine with Multi-Melta, and 1 Sergeant with Combi-Flamer and Power Sword. (195 Points)
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
Drop Pod (35 Points)

Tactical Squad (10):
Drop Pod (35 Points)
Last edited by DoctorThunder on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorThunder

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:25 am

Tasty :)
So you'd have to pick 5 units to come down turn 1..
In a typcial game where would you divide them (dreads and flamers first to get the most out of them pre combat saving the meltas for the vehicles etc?)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DoctorThunder » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:18 pm

killmaimburn wrote:Tasty :)
So you'd have to pick 5 units to come down turn 1..
In a typcial game where would you divide them (dreads and flamers first to get the most out of them pre combat saving the meltas for the vehicles etc?)

Good question. Against mechanized armies the dreads and melta squads go first. Against infantry heavy armies like orks the flamer squads go first. Against most armies I'll probably mix it up depending on the targets available.
DoctorThunder

Postby Taumaul » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:13 pm

And dont forget you can always split your Tactical squads into combat squads as they disembark from the DP's.

Thats a nice looking list. 8)

But in my opinion I would replace a Tactical squad with a Vanguard squad in a DP for a bit more close quarter fighting(even though the Dreadies are more than capable in that department).
Taumaul
GamingFigures
Warlord

Postby DoctorThunder » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Taumaul wrote:And dont forget you can always split your Tactical squads into combat squads as they disembark from the DP's.

Yes, a perfect way to get the Multi-Meltas into firing position in their own little combat squad, or split the meltagun and combi-meltagun into two different combat squads and take out two tanks with one squad on the drop.

But in my opinion I would replace a Tactical squad with a Vanguard squad in a DP for a bit more close quarter fighting(even though the Dreadies are more than capable in that department).

Very tempting, I'll admit, especially because you can give them thunder hammers, which become master crafted for free.
DoctorThunder

Postby Taumaul » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:10 pm

You got me thinking now.

I'd be sorely tempted to take a Termie assault squad kitted out with Thunder hammers and Storm shields :lol:

What with master crafted hammers and a 3+ inv save. Ouch time!!
Taumaul
GamingFigures
Warlord

Postby DoctorThunder » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Taumaul wrote:You got me thinking now.

I'd be sorely tempted to take a Termie assault squad kitted out with Thunder hammers and Storm shields :lol:

What with master crafted hammers and a 3+ inv save. Ouch time!!

I'm painting a squad of those right now. :)
DoctorThunder

Postby boomstick » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Also, keep in mind that I don't have to use Drop Pod Assault. I can roll for my reserves normally if I want to and start coming in on turn 2, so it ends up being very similar either way.

Actually you do according to my codex.
boomstick

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:38 am

boomstick wrote:

Actually you do according to my codex.

agreed: "...you must choose..." (Drop Pod Assault, p69)

sorry. :(

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Return to 40K Army Lists

Social Links