Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Toughest Squad

Post your army lists here!

Toughest Squad

Postby Gymbol » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Since we now have Kill Points instead of victory points, how about a comparison of the 'toughest' squads you can think of?

To kick it off, I'm suggesting:
Eldar Troops:
10 Wraithguard, 1 Spiritseer/Conceal/Singing Spear
..S 5, T 6, ..., Fearless
Fortuned.

Of course, it costs 400 pts and it can't ride in a transport.

oh, by the way, greetings all.
Last edited by Gymbol on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gymbol
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Socaddict » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 pm

toughest as in hardest to kill, or toughest as in most dangerous?
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: Toughest Squad

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi Gymbol, and welcome to the site! :D

unfortunately i am going to have to ask that you remove the statline from your post (quoting whole statlines is against Forum Rules).

instead, why not include just the relevant parts, for example, the T, Sv & Fearless? (afterall, they are the stats that are the most important for the purposes of this discussion)
feel free to also include a link to the Eldar Reference Sheet on the GW site for anyone who wants to read the whole statline for themselves.

cheers :)

~ Tim
(AoS Mod)
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby conscriptboris » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Havent got my books with me atm,

but i would go for,

Lemartes with 10 man death company, Rending, Black Rage and re-roll of missed attacks in CC and a couple of power weapons all with Jump packs! swish!!

this could cost from 180-480pts :P

although all chaplains i believe has re-rolls for there squads now, or has it always been like that?

conscriptboris
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:05 pm

10 chaos termies with either mark of nurgle or mark of tzeencth (340ish points) easy to stack wounds on if equipped with variety and cause waste.

30 boyz behind 30 other boyz, maybe with a mech with shield so the front lot get cover saves as well. nice and cheap more bodies than bullets.(around 450 for the whole set)
(I presume, I used to run something similar with LATD mutants and can only assume that that kind of thing again would work well :) )Its my current WIP.

SM Bikes have the toughness, especially when maxxed, they just lack the ability\adaptability to perform to their points when taken in such large doses.

A large nid warrior unit with all mixed weapons- not great until you start allocating complex unit rule wounds around the place and stacking.(cheapest one listed probably)

Maxxed necron squad beside a orb lord and a monolith (and not being in combat..)700 odd.(but that is really tough)

The rumoured squadrons of leman russ in the upcoming guard codex..3xAv14 have got to be considered fairly tough.

EDIT- 50 conscripts- ok so one pieplate removes the lazy deployer- but thats a shed load and a half of models in 1 unit a hard earned kill point.

LATD 30 mutants led by a mutant boss fist, led by an aspiring champion with a fist and rerolling leadership tests, not going to die off easily, especially if yyou push it over the 240 to give them a 4+ save (makes them cost 330 ish so I never bothered I jsut took another bucket of mutants instead)

Welcome to the site :)
Last edited by killmaimburn on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Gymbol » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:57 am

killmaimburn wrote:30 boyz behind 30 other boyz, maybe with a mech with shield so the front lot get cover saves as well. nice and cheap more bodies than bullets.(around 450 for the whole set)

I had a game where one of these plugged into the wraithgard squad.
The DOrks lost every round of combat but the last one where they killed the last guard. Just they never bothered having to make morale saves.
(sigh)

killmaimburn wrote:Maxxed necron squad beside a orb lord and a monolith (and not being in combat..)700 odd.(but that is really tough)

The rumoured squadrons of leman russ in the upcoming guard codex..3xAv14 have got to be considered fairly tough.

The necros, not so much. They lose combat, then they are wiped out on a failed morale save 'cause they aren't quick.

But I hate the idea of the leman russ squads.

killmaimburn wrote:
EDIT- 50 conscripts- ok so one pieplate removes the lazy deployer- but thats a shed load and a half of models in 1 unit a hard earned kill point.

They don't run away rapidly if they lose combat?
Gymbol
Exarch
Exarch

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:39 am

Orks- nuff boyz=fearless, Maxxed squads with better than regular saves = resilence
Necrons you do have to get into combat with them.. giving the lord a veil and having them teleport through the lith every turn is annoying. But yes they are a lot weaker in 5th due to the much more penalising morale modifiers they just need to be smacked down once sufficently.
50 conscripts- they don't if they have a book of st lucius sat somewhere around (witchhunter ally) "Unmodified leadership" of 10, they're not going anywhere.(then to a lessor extent the guard leadership bubbles provided by the codex)

I'll fail at "the game"...:) 10 new close combat termies with storm shield and thunderhammer (3 with lightning claws to initiate complex units rules) 2, 3++ (400 points)
Btw the renegade termies are the ones (of those listed above) that I've really had run away in combat :(
Last edited by killmaimburn on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Taumaul » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:37 am

I'm going for a 10 man unit of Ork Nobz on bikes with a Painboy for those all important "Feel No Pain" rolls. They can all be given Power Fists(except the Painboy).

That'll give you 36 Power fist attacks on the charge. 8) :oops:

Give em cybork bodies and you have 1 tough unit at well over 700pts.

Another nasty option is a Warlock Seer Council on Jetbikes with a Farseer joined to them.
Last edited by Taumaul on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Taumaul
GamingFigures
Warlord

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:57 am

how about 20 Plaguebearers of Nurgle (with Instrument and Noxious Touch)?

315 pts, T5, 5+Inv & FnP, Fearless, (S4) 4+ Poisoned Attacks (one model wounds on a 2+), Deepstrike, wins Draws in CC.

and they are a Scoring Unit. :twisted:

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Baragash » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:43 am

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:how about 20 Plaguebearers of Nurgle (with Instrument and Noxious Touch)?

315 pts, T5, 5+Inv & FnP, Fearless, (S4) 4+ Poisoned Attacks (one model wounds on a 2+), Deepstrike, wins Draws in CC.

and they are a Scoring Unit. :twisted:

~ Tim

As the OP included Fortune from a source outside the unit, I see no reason you couldn't add a maxed out Tally bonus on top (whilst defending a bunker?!). :twisted:
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby Spack » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Shame the Ulthwe list from Codex: Eye of Terror is no more - that unlimited model sized unit of Farseers and Warlocks would have been awkward to top.

"I see your 20 Plaguebearers with 2 quadzillion Farseers and Warlocks!"

;)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Baragash » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Spack wrote:Shame the Ulthwe list from Codex: Eye of Terror is no more - that unlimited model sized unit of Farseers and Warlocks would have been awkward to top.

"I see your 20 Plaguebearers with 2 quadzillion Farseers and Warlocks!"

;)

*enters childish mode*

Hmmm, in 4th I'd assault that with a Slaanesh Chaos Lord packing Dreadaxe, Doom Siren, Mutation and Daemonic Visage, leading 9 Chosen of Slaanesh (avec DS, DM and DV too), from a LR with Dirge Caster and Warp Amp.

Would be confident of clearing the killzone, preventing any retaliation, and then breaking the 2 quadzillion space pansies with the -6 Ld modifier........ :twisted:
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby AdrianG » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Baragash wrote:
*enters childish mode*

Hmmm, in 4th I'd assault that with a Slaanesh Chaos Lord packing Dreadaxe, Doom Siren, Mutation and Daemonic Visage, leading 9 Chosen of Slaanesh (avec DS, DM and DV too), from a LR with Dirge Caster and Warp Amp.

Would be confident of clearing the killzone, preventing any retaliation, and then breaking the 2 quadzillion space pansies with the -6 Ld modifier........ :twisted:

**MUNCHKIN!** :P
Collector of Space Wolves, and all round awful painter!

AdrianG's Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/AdrianG
AdrianG
Apprentice Lurker (Still)
Captain

Postby Angelwing » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:20 pm

3 tyranid ripper swarms. Now so pointless nobody will bother attacking them, therefore they last unharmed all game.

I'll try and think of a serious one later!
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 pm

ohh 3rd ed
Khorne demon price(statured) , with resilience (t6) armour (2+) Aura (5++) feel no pain and Flight 145 points-If you had enough points left over a dreadaxe and a CCW and mutation (but its been ages since I looked at demon gifts limits that might be over)
6 Attacks on the charge was easy- getting it up to 9+ took effort and more points
Wasn't that the basic design (or somewhere around there) that made GW say "Khorne DPs must be the worst thing ever from now on or else? That will show them cheesy *%&ers" :wink:

siren cheese on bike + tools :lol: (best john cena impersionation) "Can't see me"
Last edited by killmaimburn on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Next

Return to 40K Army Lists

Social Links