Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

40K Rules varients for a convention event game

For discussing new rules and changes to the current rules, such as new homebrew datasheets for Apocalypse

40K Rules varients for a convention event game

Postby BDJV » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:16 am

Hey guys,
I’ve been trying to figure out a Kool event for a local game convention next year. I always like to have a theme for the event. Last year I did Warhammer chariot races, it was a hoot and really successful. This year I want to do something 40K themed.

Apocalypse is great fun but I don’t have two Apoc armies and typically bring and battle doesn’t work locally outside of the LGS setting. Kill team is neat too but I’ll have a minimum of a 6-hour commitment for the game and KT would end up being way too short.

So I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out a unique 40k event. I decided to use the Movie Marines list and pit them against Movie Chaos Marines. I’ll have to create stats for Chaos Marines but they shouldn’t be that different from Imperial Marines. I am gonna add some advanced flavor into 40K for the event like shooting modifiers to hit and bring back overwatch.

Eight players will get a 5 man squad of Marines or Chaos Marines, one player will get a platoon of 25 Guardsmen and an inquisitor, and another will get a Platoon of 25 Chaos militia and a Sorcerer. There will also be a Marine Hero, a Chaos Hero, An Imperial Dread and a Chaos Daemon Prince assigned to the marine players.

I’m also planning some random events like roving bands of Khorne Rage Zombies and rampaging spawn. Either of these will be a threat to both sides.

Here are the initial tweaks I’ll be making to the MM list for the game.

The basic marine stats are the same as the MM list, the Dude becomes the sergeant and the Sergeant becomes the Marine Hero.

The Marine Dreadnought is AV14 on the front, AV13 on the sides, and AV12 in the rear. He is armed with a Dread Assault cannon and a Dread CCW including a Heavy Flamer.

Marine weapons
Bolt Pistol: Range 24 S6 AP4 Assault 3
Plasma Pistol: Range 18 S8 AP2 Assault 3 Gets Hot
Bolter: Range 36 S6 AP4 Assault 3
Storm/combi Bolter: Range 36 S6 AP4 Assault 6
Heavy Bolter: Range 48 S7 AP3 Assault 5/Heavy 10
Autocannon: Range 60 S9 AP3 Assault 4/Heavy 8
Dread Assault Cannon: Range 48 S8 AP3 Assault 12

Flamers have a range of 24 inches and are assault 1. To shoot a flamer you roll to hit ignoring shooting to hit modifiers. If the shot is missed roll a D6 and a scatter die to determine where the template hits. If you hit place an ordinance template over the target. Any model under the template is wounded on a score of a 4+ and if the wounding score was a 6 the model receives no armor save. Heavy flamers have a 30 inch range, are assault 1 and may re-roll any missed to wound rolls.

All weapons have a short and long range anything under half its maximum range is short range. I’ll be suspending cover saves for the duration of the game and replace them with to hit modifiers. Light cover is any model that is less then half obscured when using TLS. Heavy cover is more than half obscured when using TLS.

Basic shooting to hit modifiers.
Long range is a –1 to hit
Light cover is a –1 to hit
Heavy cover is a –2 to hit

The real change is gonna be in the game mechanics, I'm just using the MM stats for grins. (which makes Marines similarly godlike like Inquisitor) MM have a re-rollable 3+ save and a 3++ invulnerable save so even with the god awful strength and AP of the weapons Marines will be hard as nails. Although I'll probably change the invulnerable save to 4++.

I'm gonna change the game turn sequence from IgoUgo to alternate activation. Each turn we'll roll a die to see which side gets the initiative. The winning side will have one of his squads activate; they will then move, shoot and then assault. After this is done the other side gets to activate a squad. When Alternate activation is combined with Overwatch it makes 40K much more tactical.

I know these initial numbers are high, but I will be tweaking them further as I play test the scenario and rules. Remember this is supposed to be a fun memorable event when adding feedback.
Last edited by BDJV on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Shut up Mr. Burton, you were not brought upon this earth to 'get it'."
BDJV
Traitor Legionnaire
Traitor Legionnaire

Re: 40K Rules varients for a convention event game

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:55 am

Since guardsmen will be fight 1500 hundred points of movie marines I have to ask...is 25 guardsmen worth 1500? or are you amping them up too (I'd feel a little shortchanged only having 5 times the number of movie marines to guard.unless each was a leman russ)
BDJV wrote:I'm gonna change the game turn sequence from IgoUgo to alternate activation. Each turn we'll roll a die to see which side gets the initiative. The winning side will have one of his squads activate; they will then move, shoot and then assault. After this is done the other side gets to activate a squad. When Alternate activation is combined with Overwatch it makes 40K much more tactical

Might be usefull for you to tag team with swordtart http://www.ageofstrife.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2630
I'm not a fan of changing phases as I indicate.. But with just one squad I can see it being possible (note thats not tappdancing for joy).. if your going to have 8 player rolling for who goes first might I suggest a card deck instead of a dice. (each turn shuffle and deal 8 cards and go in face numerical value order.. that way you won't have the whole "oh well player 2, 5 and 8 rolled 4 so they roll off again to see which order they go in... oh 2 and 5 both rolled a 5 so they need to roll off to see who goes first whilst 8 goes 3rd etc.....its a pin in the ass when that kind of thing happens and a card deal removes all of that)
Also 40k gets more fun the more cards you can bring into it :D
Last edited by killmaimburn on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: 40K Rules varients for a convention event game

Postby BDJV » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:12 pm

killmaimburn wrote:Since guardsmen will be fight 1500 hundred points of movie marines I have to ask...is 25 guardsmen worth 1500? or are you amping them up too (I'd feel a little shortchanged only having 5 times the number of movie marines to guard.unless each was a leman russ)

Oh yeah, guard/militia will be gettin' a few buffs. I have two special rules in development. I have no names for them yet and the descriptions are weak but you'll get the point.

The first grants guard cover saves from the main rules plus a 5++ even in open terrain because guard use every ounce of cover available as a means of survival.

The second will allow the guard/militia player to "re-spawn" their squads as long as their heroes are still alive. This is to represent the fact that there is an ongoing battle happening and soldiers have a tendency to head towards gunfire.

killmaimburn wrote:Might be usefull for you to tag team with swordtart http://www.ageofstrife.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2630
I'm not a fan of changing phases as I indicate.. But with just one squad I can see it being possible (note thats not tappdancing for joy).. if your going to have 8 player rolling for who goes first might I suggest a card deck instead of a dice. (each turn shuffle and deal 8 cards and go in face numerical value order.. that way you won't have the whole "oh well player 2, 5 and 8 rolled 4 so they roll off again to see which order they go in... oh 2 and 5 both rolled a 5 so they need to roll off to see who goes first whilst 8 goes 3rd etc.....its a pin in the ass when that kind of thing happens and a card deal removes all of that)
Also 40k gets more fun the more cards you can bring into it :D

I'll check out the thread.

I know changing the phases is not welcomed by most 40K players. This is why I'm doing it this way as opposed to assigning actions to each mini as I do normally for small skirmishes.

It is actually one die per side to choose who goes first. then they choose who should move in what order.

The cards are not a bad idea, in fact I like it a lot. I'll have to give it a go in play testing.
BDJV
Traitor Legionnaire
Traitor Legionnaire

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:39 pm

You really want some of the military folks to drop in to help out with those :)
For camo- I'm a fiend for "tiger style" but thats just the wu tang in me.. quick glance at militaryish pages on camo apparently "going norwegian" and "long leaf pattern" seem to get good write ups
For the second- "the craving for heroism".. or "do your duty" is there a special rule called "for the emperor" yet?

Where is everyone else in your threads? You haven't called anyone a geek have you? 8O
Last edited by killmaimburn on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby BDJV » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:38 am

killmaimburn wrote:You really want some of the military folks to drop in to help out with those :)
For camo- I'm a fiend for "tiger style" but thats just the wu tang in me.. quick glance at militaryish pages on camo apparently "going norwegian" and "long leaf pattern" seem to get good write ups
For the second- "the craving for heroism".. or "do your duty" is there a special rule called "for the emperor" yet?

MMM.... Urban Tiger striped camo, maybe Snake Pliskin camo.
Sorry I got sidetracked; you said camo and tiger in the same sentence. :lol:

I am liking the "do your duty"; I was leaning towards something like "Forever faithful" or "Lookin' for action"

killmaimburn wrote:Where is everyone else in your threads? You haven't called anyone a geek have you? 8O

I don't think I have. :? It's ok there's not much here yet. I should have the finished first draft in a day or two. I'll place it up then.

Cheers,
Jim
BDJV
Traitor Legionnaire
Traitor Legionnaire

Postby swordtart » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:46 pm

March to the guns?
It is not who we are that defines us, it is what we do.
swordtart
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BDJV » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:37 am

This is the Meat of what I'm gonna do; there is more but I need to do a few play tests to see where I stand right now.

Here is the setting for the game. It’s not perfect or complete it will give you an idea of what I’m shooting for.

The Battle for Proxima Prime.

An unexpected Warpstorm is engulfing the world of Proxima Prime on the Eastern fringe. This calamity has brought the foul servants of the Dark Gods; first and foremost of these foul servants are the traitorous Word Bearers space marines. They have unleashed a plague of foul creatures from the Warp with their foul rituals.

The planetary defenses are shattered, leaving only small bands of Guard doing their best to thwart the traitors. A Lone Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus is directing the actions of the Guard; Inquisitor Lorne is extremely dedicated to his task. He has requested aid from the Adeptus Astartes the Emperors Angels of Death.

His request has been answered by the Space Sharks when their warp drives on their strike cruiser failed and dropped them into normal space. Although there original mission is still a priority, they cannot let the foul heretics run rampant on an imperial world.

The following will be the basic rules changes and additions.

The turn sequence will be altered and replaced with the following.

Each player in the game will be assigned a card to represent his command. This card will be placed in a deck of cards and shuffled. The cards will then be turned over one at a time and each player will activate his command moving, shooting and assaulting upon having his card turned up. Follow this procedure until each player gets a turn. Then reshuffle the cards.

Overwatch: Any squad upon activation may choose to go into Overwatch instead of its normal turn sequence. The unit will remain stationary and hold their fire until the first enemy squad comes into light of sight or their next activation whichever comes first. When conducting Overwatch fire the shooting models incur a minus one penalty to their shooting dice score. Once they shoot remove them from Overwatch their turn is over.

Cover saves are suspended for the duration of the game.

All weapons have a short and long range anything under half its maximum range is short range. I’ll be suspending cover saves for the duration of the game and replace them with to hit modifiers. Light cover is any model that is less then half obscured when using TLS. Heavy cover is more than half obscured when using TLS.

Basic shooting to hit modifiers.
Long range is a –1 to hit
Light cover is a –1 to hit
Heavy cover is a –2 to hit

Here are the initial tweaks I’ll be making to the MM list for the game.

The stunt double rule will not be used. The Marines invulnerable save will be changed to a 4++ save.

The basic marine stats are as follows:
WS-5, BS-5, S-5, T-5, W-2, I-5, A-3, LD-9

The Dude becomes the sergeant with the following stats:
WS-6, BS-5, S-5, T-5, W-3, I-5, A-4, LD-9

The Sergeant becomes the Marine Hero with the following stats:
WS-7, BS-6, S-6, T-5, W-4, I-7, A-5, LD-10

The Daemon Prince has the following stats:
WS-8, BS-5, S-8, T-7, W-6, I-7, A-6, LD-10
He may breath fire, which counts as a Heavy flamer. He has a re-rollable 3+ save for his daemonic armor and a 4++ Daemonic Aura.

The Marine Dreadnought is AV14 on the front, AV13 on the sides, and AV12 in the rear. He is armed with a Dread Assault cannon and a Dread CCW including a Heavy Flamer. The Dreadnought has a WS of six.

Marine Ranged Weapons
Bolt Pistol: Range 24 S6 AP4 Assault 3
Plasma Pistol: Range 18 S8 AP2 Assault 2 Gets Hot
Bolter: Range 36 S6 AP4 Assault 3
Storm/combi Bolter: Range 36 S6 AP4 Assault 6
Heavy Bolter: Range 48 S7 AP3 Assault 5/Heavy 10
Autocannon: Range 60 S9 AP3 Assault 4/Heavy 8
Dread Assault Cannon: Range 48 S8 AP3 Assault 12

Flamers have a range of 24-inches and are assault 1. To shoot a flamer you roll to hit ignoring shooting to hit modifiers. If the shot is missed roll a D6 and a scatter die to determine where the template hits. If you hit place an ordinance template over the target. Any model under the template is wounded on a score of a 4+ and if the wounding score was a 6 the model receives no armor save. Heavy flamers have a 30-inch range, are assault 1 and may re-roll any missed to wound rolls.

The Stats for the Imperial Guard and Chaos Militia are as follows:
WS-3, BS-4, S-3, T-3, W-1, I-3, A-1, LD-7

The Stats for the Imperial Guard and Chaos Militia Sergeants are as follows:
WS-3, BS-4, S-3, T-3, W-1, I-4, A-2, LD-8

The Stats for the Imperial Guard and Chaos Militia Platoon leaders are as follows
WS-4, BS-4, S-3, T-3, W-3, I-5, A-3, LD-9

The IG and CM have the following special rules.

“Incoming!” grants the Guard cover saves from the main rules plus a 5++ even in open terrain because Guard rush forward and go prone to shoot as a means of survival.

”Guns Up” will allow the guard/militia player to "re-spawn" their squads as long as their heroes are still alive. This is to represent the fact that there is an ongoing battle happening and soldiers have a tendency to head towards gunfire.

Guard/Militia Weapons list
Laspistol: Range 24 S3/4 AP- Assault 2
Triplex pattern Lasgun: Range 36 S3/4 AP- see below
Plasma gun: Range 36 S8 AP2 Assault 1/Heavy 2, Gets Hot
Grenade Launcher: Range 36 S7 AP4 Assault 2, Blast
Heavy Bolter: Range 48 S7 AP3 Heavy 10

Lasguns may rapid fire out to half range. Lasguns energy bolts lose strength as they go down range. Anything hit by a Lasgun at less than 18 inches will be hit at strength 4.
BDJV
Traitor Legionnaire
Traitor Legionnaire

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:35 pm

that Demon prince seem s a bit horrendus- t+2 and+2 wounds on what the sergent has- will he cost approximately twice as much? (rerollable saves as the norm mean he'll be silly hard to put down with those stats) e.g. a heavy bolter will still need 2s to hits 4s to wound him (admittedly 10 shots)4.1 saves required each time it shoots,its AP3 so he only gets his 4++, so 2 wounds each game turn.
3.33 from the dreadnought asscan in 12 shot mode if BS5. How many attacks will he have..will he be the mirror to the demonprince? If so he might want to be not so good at close combat and allow the prince to have wings (Chaos CC orientated whilst SMs are silly powerfull at shooting...or will you give the DP a ranged power that is similar to the assualt cannon?)

you've turned the card thing into something interesting- isn't there a medival game on a hexagon board that activates command cards like that (its interesting- and allows you a scope to build on...e.g. can you punish the deck, can you let someone else take your turn.. or is it you play the cards your dealt you might just miss a turn and use overwatch instead to hedge your bets..hmmm I likey)

All interesting,
obviously anyone who doesn't post in your threads is a guileman loving-barking toad licking- son of a kroot :)
Last edited by killmaimburn on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby BDJV » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks for the reply, mate! I haven't even considered points as this will be a scenario game. Don't forget to factor in the to hit mods the HB will need 2's to hit at 24 inches or less with no intervening cover.

I figured I'd leave the Dread with 4 base attacks. I don't see them being really fast in CC. I see them as haveing extremely powerful attacks, so maybe something like for every wound scored will equal two wounds.

On the cards, I'm gonna give each player a card. When the card is turned over the owner may activate his sqd or allow another friendly unit to do so. The key is that each player on both sides get one activation a turn. So when the friendly players card comes up the player who gave his card up can activate,

Does that make sense?

Thanks again for your support in this thread. I greatly appreciate it!

Jim
BDJV
Traitor Legionnaire
Traitor Legionnaire

Return to 40K Rules Development

Social Links