Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Gork & Mork & Chaos

Created your own background storyline for your army? Want to discuss the 40k history?

Gork & Mork & Chaos

Postby Ljundhammer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Following some somewhat heated debates on Warseer, I thought I'd see what the fluff monkies here make of Gork & Mork, and how they interact with the Chaos Gods - as well as your ideas on the Chaos Gods. I realise that this isn't a particularly well travelled part of the site, but hey...

The debates on warseer:
http://warseer.com/forums/40k-backgroun ... -gods.html
http://warseer.com/forums/40k-backgroun ... -gods.html

So really what this thread is about is what do you think Gork & Mork are, what you think the Chaos Gods are & who could duff up who :roll:

Quotes & references are all good, but to be honest I'm more interested in how the fluff is interpreted by you, rather than "That's what GW wrote so it must be true!!!!" - this is our universe after all...
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby Spack » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Welcome to the site. It might not be well travelled in this part, but that's only because it's been waiting for some content to be discussed. I'm sure a few of the Ork fans will be posting soon enough. There might even be heated debates about the Old Ones, snotlings, and the Slaan (or is it Slann) if you're really really (un)lucky :P
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Ljundhammer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:48 pm

Spack wrote:Welcome to the site. It might not be well travelled in this part, but that's only because it's been waiting for some content to be discussed. I'm sure a few of the Ork fans will be posting soon enough. There might even be heated debates about the Old Ones, snotlings, and the Slaan (or is it Slann) if you're really really (un)lucky :P

TYVM!

If we did get some discussion on it all I would be very happy! :D

There must be some of you who like the fluff - otherwise we'd be playing with bits of paper rather than the cool models we have now!
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby Spack » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:02 pm

Well I have plenty of fluff- I don't let my wife dust my figures on the shelves :P
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby jlong05 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:02 am

Spack wrote:Well I have plenty of fluff- I don't let my wife dust my figures on the shelves :P

Ewe.. Spack has 'fluff'!

Seriously though. I honestly haven't been a fluff person till more recently. I guess I will have to research my Orcs fluff to get it straight now. I would be interested in other people's views though. As for them being similar to the Chaos Gods, I don't see why not. After all, what is more Chaotic than Orcs?
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:05 am

Ljundhammer wrote:There must be some of you who like the fluff - otherwise we'd be playing with bits of paper rather than the cool models we have now!

Everytime I decide I like a bit of fluff, GW decides to rewrite history and say that fluff was the wrong fluff, I'm sure in 6 years they'll be saying orcs were a race that are just a kroot warband. :(

Tzeentch for the win, just cos after everybody else has had the ladder\cage match to decide, the ref takes off his mask, pile drives the winner and runs off with the belt in the name of change and deception :D
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ljundhammer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 am

killmaimburn wrote:Everytime I decide I like a bit of fluff, GW decides to rewrite history and say that fluff was the wrong fluff, I'm sure in 6 years they'll be saying orcs were a race that are just a kroot warband. :(

That's the fun of the fluff - none of it is ever 100% factualy correct. None of the fluff is ever actually recinded. What we have is a mish-mash of the PoV of many different people trying to interpret what they are seeing.

There are examples of wholesale changes - the Necrons & the War in Heaven being the best example I can think of, but that doesn't mean that the other fluff is incorrect.

The Final Battle between the Emperor & Horus has at least 3 versions of who distracted Horus (Olanus Pious, Imperial Fist Terminator & a loyal Death Guard if memory serves). That doesn't mean that any is less valuable than the other, merely that in 10,000 years the Imperial Histories are not as acurate as they should be - that is where we, as fans, can have our fun.

killmaimburn wrote:Tzeentch for the win, just cos after everybody else has had the ladder\cage match to decide, the ref takes off his mask, pile drives the winner and runs off with the belt in the name of change and deception :D

Makes a change from the C'tan did it! :wink:
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby NorseWarrior » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:41 am

Ljundhammer wrote:
killmaimburn wrote:The Final Battle between the Emperor & Horus has at least 3 versions of who distracted Horus (Olanus Pious, Imperial Fist Terminator & a loyal Death Guard if memory serves). That doesn't mean that any is less valuable than the other, merely that in 10,000 years the Imperial Histories are not as acurate as they should be - that is where we, as fans, can have our fun.

well, actually it is a forth. The new chaos codex indicates that it might have been some small, repressed shred of his humanity and loyalty to his father that might have betrayed him and caused the distraction that led to his demise...
"If you can´t explain it simply, you don´t understand it well enough..."
NorseWarrior
Shas'ui
Shas'ui

Postby Ranhothep » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm

I have been reading the fluff in the past and was quite interested in the background, but somehow lately I allways skip that part of any codex. I still like the novels from BL for instance, but I just lost interest in the precise "history". Im more into modelling and painting and especially gaming now. But to say at least something On Topic :) discussing ork-related fluff now might turn out to be a waste of time with the new codex drawing near as yet again things might change
FACT: I do like the sites avatar gallery!
Ranhothep
Chosen
Chosen

Return to 40K Background/Fluff & Black Library

Social Links