Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

40K/WHFB daemons

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

40K/WHFB daemons

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:39 pm

As discussed in one or more other threads, I've started putting together a deamons army to be used in both 40K and Fantasy battle. As usual the theme is there is no theme.. I'll just buy whatever I can to be able to pick and choose an army list for each game without too much restriction.

The larger models will be put on square bases because of the need in fantasy. Smaller models such as infantry/rank and file can stay on round bases because in fantasy they can sit together on movement trays which will square them up.

OK, I lied. There is a theme. It's painting quickly and using dip for the entire army. Having seen Taumaul's orks up at WHW back in February I loved the finish his technique produced and I decided to try the same. It's basically:

1. Undercoat
2. Foundation paints
3. Paint Army Painter strong shade dip on
4. Spray with Army Painter matt anti-shine varnish

I painted these 22 Plague Bearers the other night in just under 3 hours including "dipping". They were sprayed with anti-shine this afternoon. They may get another coat but they look pretty decent as they are now.

mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby timewizard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Wow! That's a pretty good 3 hours worth of work Matt! They look very nice. At this rate you should have a 3000 point army finished by next week! :wink:
Seriously though, they look great! Doesn't look like they need another coat of matte spray, but that might just be what can be seen in the photo.

TW
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:48 pm

they look great Matt (im ordering my Washes tomorrow). one thing, they look a little dry IMO - how about some gloss varnish to make them look slimy?

cheers :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:03 pm

er... they were shiney after the dip (which is also a gloss/satin varnish). To get rid of that I put matt varnish on. I hate shiney models with a passion! The matt varnish is sold as making the dipped models look hand-painted and it does a great job of doing that.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby KInG » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:54 pm

having seen Gav's (Taumaul) after the matt varnish ws applied, I can confirm, they look way better.. but the biggest plus is that they stop the models from smelling... :) coz that dips stinks. We opened Gav's army case and nearly passed out before, lol
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Taumaul » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 pm

They look great Matt.

As an experiment, undercoat a single Plaguebearer white, paint the gory bits, leave the flesh white, then dip it. Its even quicker and they look great.
:lol:
Taumaul
GamingFigures
Warlord

Postby Angelwing » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:40 am

They look excellent. Perhaps a hand brushing a gloss varnish on certain areas (entrails, tongues etc) will get the sort of effect Tim is suggesting without making the whole thing shiny?
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Here's a pic of 10 blood letters before dipping. I'll try and do that later this evening once they are fully dry.

Bases will be completed once the dip is dried (takes about 24 hours).
Last edited by mattjgilbert on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Well the bloodletters are done bar the anti-shine spray but as it's just started to rain I wont be doing that for a while. I'll take a pic when they are sprayed up. I also started work on the 16 metal ones I have last night.

Basically the technique is:
1. Spray black
2. Mechrite red on the red bits (most of the model with a tank brush)
3. dheneb stone on the horns
4. bronze on the... bronze bits
4. dry brush the red with orange
5. wash the red with red ink (not red wash, the old red ink). This was because the red looked a bit insipid.
6. Crude and straight white highlight on the horns
7. Pick out nails, teeth and eyes in white
8. tongue is purple
9. Paint dip on them!

I also sped painted my Fiend yesterday.

1. Sprayed white
2. Hair washed in blue wash
3. Scales and tongue washed in purple wash
4. dheneb stone on the horns/spines
5. claws in mechrite red and drybrushed lighter
6. eyes in sunburst yellow
7. paint dip on

Ignoring the white undercoat which I did ages ago, the washing and picking out other colours took less than 10 minutes. Speed painting to be sure! Again, I'll take a picture once it's base is done and it's sprayed up complete.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:13 pm

You have to love the British weather... 20 mins of rain and now it's sunny again. Dry enough to spray up the bloodletters.

All completed

Close up
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby mortiferum » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Very Nice! Looks good enough to eat :D

Have you tried ranking them up yet for Fantasy? I've heard that the oversized hell blades have a habit of poking the models in front of them!
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:41 pm

mortiferum wrote:Have you tried ranking them up yet for Fantasy? I've heard that the oversized hell blades have a habit of poking the models in front of them!
Yep - it's not too bad because the bases are round you can twist them until they all fit together! Of course, taking them back apart again can prove tricky :)

Once they are on a movement tray it works realy well and it matters not at all the actual bases are round.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Here's the finished fiend

And the metal bloodletters have been mechrite redded, drybrushed with orange and washed with red ink. The ink is still wet so I'll try and do some more tomorrow night.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:12 am

Liking your old skool bloodletters, if you want to go further with the weaponry, Lh bought me a few that came with a dark green weapons (might have been salamander) players really well against bloody red.
You have no musician in there? I thought they were sold as unit with musician et al.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:51 am

There is a musician and a standard with the plastic ones. The metal ones are a collection of random ones from ebay, my brother and the club.

I was considering a different colour to represent an upgrade (rending isn't it?)
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Next

Return to Project Logs

Social Links