Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

War of the Ring

General discussion forum

War of the Ring

Postby OWCriminal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of you, like me, have gone the whole hog and plunged into the WotR.

Great tactical game with the opportunity to firld huge armies from Middle Earth.

I myself have an Isengard, Rohan and Dwarf Hold army! Still growing!! :D
OWCriminal
Grot
Grot

Postby Taumaul » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:21 am

I have plunged in heavily. :oops:

Gone and bought a 1500pt Minas Tirith force.

Played one "learner" game against Isenguard and kicked their butts.

Really enjoyed it, trying to get the rest of the guys into it but so far its like banging my head against a brick wall. They are all too much into WAB Trafalgar at the moment. Even 40k has been brushed aside. :cry:
Taumaul
GamingFigures
Warlord

Kicked their Butts

Postby OWCriminal » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:53 am

Well the Isengard armies need to ensure they have some mobility in their army, to counter the manouverability of their enemies cavalry.
The Uruks are nails but against Rohan or Gondor they can suffer to being run around and picked off piece meal. :(

Additions to my army now include two Ballista, these can mete out some serious damage and as long as their guarded by pike or some charge denying troop, they should stick around long enough. :P

You got some of the Army of the Dead no doubt, they are doubly hard. As well as the legendary formations, which again add more versatility to the army. 8)

I don't leave home without the legendary formations in any of my armies. :twisted:

The Trafalgar game is great fun as well mind you, although not as much as WotR IMHO!
OWCriminal
Grot
Grot

Postby estarriol » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:31 pm

I refuse to get into it, despite having in storage enough figures to do Rohan, Moria Dwarfs, Saruman and Sauron and the Infantry to do Elves and Minis Tirith...
--
estarriol

See my buildings at: www.templebuilder.wordpress.com

Home of 6mm Miniatures and offbeat 28mm Fantasy goodness: www.rapierminiatures.co.uk
estarriol
Mad Dok
Mad Dok

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby OWCriminal » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:06 pm

estarriol wrote:I refuse to get into it, despite having in storage enough figures to do Rohan, Moria Dwarfs, Saruman and Sauron and the Infantry to do Elves and Minis Tirith...

Mmmm that's quite a definitive statement, "Refuse", each to their own! :o

Having played the Skirmish version for a number of years, this seemed like the natural next step for me!

I love the whole book/film/gaming aspect of it. :D
OWCriminal
Grot
Grot

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Refuse why? I refuse because it's another game system and will only add to my horribly large pile of unpainted stuff.

You already have the models!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby estarriol » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:51 pm

I have most of the models, but I know I would buy more.

And I have quite enough rule systems running at the moment, and bigest one of all, no opponants with an interest in it...
--
estarriol

See my buildings at: www.templebuilder.wordpress.com

Home of 6mm Miniatures and offbeat 28mm Fantasy goodness: www.rapierminiatures.co.uk
estarriol
Mad Dok
Mad Dok

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:56 pm

that depends on where OWCriminal lives :)
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby jlong05 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:42 pm

I also have the rules and models, however have chosen to not play. The WotR game system is very much a step backward when compared to SBG using the LoME rule set. WotR allows for significant time line issues with building armies which could have been easily taken care of but GW chose to ignore these. Oh well.

I did however play a Demo game during Adepticon which was informative and fun, however I just don't get into the whole "wow, I get to roll hundreds of dice, that's completely awesome" mentality that GW is pushing with this game.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Cool System

Postby OWCriminal » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Just my opinion you understand guys, I played the rules set and agree there is a LOAD of dice rolling, still even with this the games play out very quickly, very quickly indeed. I have only played a half dozen games so far, so maybe that isn't a good litmus test.

Still the battles have been against Rohan, Elves and Gondor, alll of which went really quickly and left us all feeling right about the sysetem and the whole Lord of the Rings thing.

I was really hoping to compare notes with other interested parties on tactics, army building and rules debates here.

So if anyone has anything to contribute to that I would be very interested. :)
OWCriminal
Grot
Grot

Postby Drax » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:51 pm

i'm just getting into it myself - played a handful of games myself and am enjoying it.

i'm using Mordor alongside some borrowed Isengard (when my fiend isn't using them)

i'm still finding my feet at the moment and barely have anything, but my friend is going missile heavy with the Isengard using the Tainted alonside to maximise their damage.

i'm personally favouring the Mouth of Sauron cos i like the fluff and Khamul the Easterling to try and gain some bonus damage.

though to be honest its all a bit beyond me still, so wouldn't mind a few pointers on basic constructs.

incidentally, i had always refused to play the SBG going off others experience, however i must say that i'm really enjoying the playstyle of WotR
Drax
Veteran
Veteran

Spells of Ruin

Postby OWCriminal » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:19 am

IMHO the bad guys get some phenomenal magic, lots of devastation!

It's always worth taking Saruman as his Mastery of 3 and the attack spells in "Ruin" can reduce an enemy formation very quickly. "Exssicate" then "Fire Bolt" followed by a command spell or another ruin.....awesome!

The artillery is quite effective, the Legendary formations are also very good value, the heroes are not quite so nasty, Lurtz can do some big damage to enemy heroes, while Ugluk and Vrashku can give the enemy some real surprises. Sherku's not bad either! :evil:
As for the infantry, the Orcs are okay, however you do need thousands of them, if you play sbig games you can restrict your frontage and do more damage than your opponent, (also on top of that the more formations you can take and not worry about getting them all into base contact) you can have a hero in every formation in the shape of a captain. 8)

The good guys have some neat troops as well, Rohan have immense mogility, stay at distance and keep shooting then when you're ready dash n close, throw weapons and then charge home....devastating!
Gondor have some of the hardest hitting cavalry on the good side, Gondorian knights and knights of Dol Amroth, oh and riders of the dead :evil: .....not to mention the legendary formation for the King of the dead, while not being mounted their special abilities means they are better than some cavalry wih their manouverability. :)

I haven't looked at the Trolls and Monsters too much, the hard to kill tables make them just that, the fact that you only ever get one base in combat, unless you manage to get multiple formations around them, makes them tough! :)

I haven't had too much experience of the Wraiths, must look in to that, I have tje models, just haven't bothered. I would imagine they rock.
OWCriminal
Grot
Grot

Postby Drax » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks OWC

one thing i noticed very quickly with the trolls is that for an extra 50 points you can take a troll drummer which counts as a drummer being included in surrounding formations, so as well as speeding the trolls up, it'll save some points in your orc units and will also give some extra speed to units usually unable to take a drummer - or thats how i understood it?
Drax
Veteran
Veteran

The Drums.....The Drums!!!!

Postby OWCriminal » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Drax wrote:Thanks OWC

one thing i noticed very quickly with the trolls is that for an extra 50 points you can take a troll drummer which counts as a drummer being included in surrounding formations, so as well as speeding the trolls up, it'll save some points in your orc units and will also give some extra speed to units usually unable to take a drummer - or thats how i understood it?

You're welcome mate. :P Good spot, this does work well, although I might lean toward using this in my larger games.
OWCriminal
Grot
Grot

Return to Lord of the Rings

Social Links