Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Eating Tea

Discuss what you like

Eating Tea

Postby Culven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:10 pm

I am curious about the British concept of "eating tea". I am (un)fortunately :wink: not British, and I was a bit confused when Lord Malek made reference to it some time ago. Could someone please explain when one eats tea, what it typically consists of, how large the meal is, et cetera.

Muchas gracias.
Culven
Commander, Catachan XIII "Black Cats"
Pray that a Black Cat never crosses your path.
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby da_grot » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:14 pm

Aha we usualy refer to evening meals/dinner as tea or tea time. Dosen't have anything to do with the stuff you drink ...usualy :lol: .
My Gallery: gallery/da_grot
da_grot
Dead Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby Culven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:38 pm

That would explain my confusion. I thought that tea was taken in the afternoon about halfway between lunch and evening meal, and that it was a small meal of tea, sandwiches, and small pastries.

So, tea would be the last meal of the day?
Culven
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby Ranhothep » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:45 pm

At least tell us that you DO eat tea with milk, otherwise youll shatter all my hopes I have in you british folks!! :rofl
FACT: I do like the sites avatar gallery!
Ranhothep
Chosen
Chosen

Postby da_grot » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:48 pm

Yea pretty much 8)

Oh and of course it's with milk, can't beat a good cup of tea always helps in a crises :wink:
My Gallery: gallery/da_grot
da_grot
Dead Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby Culven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:56 pm

Agreed, a nice cup of tea is always delightful. Unless it is Earl Grey, but then I think I am allergic to quince. Or something flowery, flowers are for looking pretty and smelling nice, not flavouring tea.

So in conclusion, a nice cup of black, green, or herbal tea is always delightful.
Culven
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:40 pm

sorry to cause confusion, Culven. :P :oops:

i eat breakfast, dinner (AKA lunch), tea and then supper (on a good day :lol:).

when i say "tea" (as in a meal), im refering to my evening meal. to add to the confusion, some people call that dinner instead (which to me is what you eat around noon). i never call my evening meal "dinner", unless its a sunday dinner (i.e. a "roast" dinner), which can be served at any time (although its usually evening by the time its ready, as it takes a while).

ive asked Kate, and she admits that if someone asked if she "wanted to go out for dinner" she would have to check whether they meant early afternoon or evening.

and in school, our female cafeteria (canteen) workers are "dinner ladies", and they serve the lunchtime meal (around noon).

it might even be a class thing - the poorer your background the more likely you are to call your evening meal "tea" and your lunchtime meal "dinner". wonder if there have been any studies on this...

EDIT: Wikipedia rocks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Tea_(meal)#Calling_lunch_.22dinner.22.3F

Culven wrote:So in conclusion, a nice cup of black, green, or herbal tea is always delightful.

hehe its the really cheap stuff for me, thank you very much. in a big mug. 8)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Culven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:15 pm

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:i eat breakfast, dinner (AKA lunch), tea and then supper (on a good day :lol:).

when i say "tea" (as in a meal), im refering to my evening meal. to add to the confusion, some people call that dinner instead (which to me is what you eat around noon). i never call my evening meal "dinner", unless its a sunday dinner (i.e. a "roast" dinner), which can be served at any time (although its usually evening by the time its ready, as it takes a while).

By my understanding: Breakfast is the first meal of the day, when one "Break"s their "Fast"ing from the previous evening. Lunch is the noon meal. Supper is the evening meal. Dinner can be almost anytime, as it simply refers to a large meal.

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:hehe its the really cheap stuff for me, thank you very much. in a big mug. 8)

I don't find black tea to be terribly expensive, so what do you consider to be "the cheap stuff"? Little bits of dried tree leaves and twigs, with a bit of dirt for that earthy aroma? :wink:
Culven
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:34 pm

Culven wrote:Supper is the evening meal.

well for me its a bit more specific: supper is a light meal just before bed (toast, cup of tea wth biscuits etc).

some people say "fish supper" (for a late evening meal of fish & chips), but i dont buy into that. :roll:

Culven wrote:I don't find black tea to be terribly expensive, so what do you consider to be "the cheap stuff"? Little bits of dried tree leaves and twigs, with a bit of dirt for that earthy aroma? :wink:

well i buy Tesco's "Value" range teabags - i get 80 cups of tea for about 30p (or ~250 bags for £1/$2US). thats a fraction of cost of the big brands, like PG Tips or Tetley (which cost about 6 times the price!). :P

everyone always seems to like it too... :)

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Culven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:47 pm

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:some people say "fish supper" (for a late evening meal of fish & chips), but i dont buy into that. :roll:

Mmmmmm...fish and chips...aghhhhhhh.... (picture Homer Simpson).

Aside, is there anyway of adding Homer smilies? I often find myself in need of an "Aghhhhh" (drooling Homer), or a "D'Oh!".

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:well i buy Tesco's "Value" range teabags - i get 80 cups of tea for about 30p (or ~250 bags for £1/$2US). thats a fraction of cost of the big brands, like PG Tips or Tetley (which cost about 6 times the price!). :P
everyone always seems to like it too... :)

Ok, that is rather cheap, and if nobody has noticed, then it must be good enough (unless everyone you know has no sense of taste, but I figure the odds of that are slim).

OK, dumb question, I have "$" on my keyboard, any ideas how I can type "£" (without haing to copy it)?
Culven
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:00 pm

Culven wrote:Ok, that is rather cheap, and if nobody has noticed, then it must be good enough (unless everyone you know has no sense of taste, but I figure the odds of that are slim).

its taken quite a few people by suprise, and caused them to question why they pay so much more for their own teabags when my cheapy ones taste just as good (or even better). :lol:

Culven wrote:OK, dumb question, I have "$" on my keyboard, any ideas how I can type "£" (without haing to copy it)?

try ALT + 0163 :)

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Spack » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:52 am

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:well i buy Tesco's "Value" range teabags - i get 80 cups of tea for about 30p (or ~250 bags for £1/$2US). thats a fraction of cost of the big brands, like PG Tips or Tetley (which cost about 6 times the price!). :P

How can drink that stuff? My mum bought them once when I went to visit, and it tasted like ash in hot water ... it's Tetley or PG Tips for me at home :)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:40 am

I figure since I might be the closest to bordering on snobby here I'd explain, tea is a ritualised english meal, much like other places having a ritualised eating habit.(the italians really won't talk to you if you drink the wrong sort of coffee at the wrong time of day, for the life of me I can't remember whether cappuccino is only meant to be drunk straight before lunch or as an early afternoon item.) It comes in many forms traditionally high and normall, even its upstart cousin elevensies.
Nowadays its a watchword for nicers folks who like to eat with their kids, or work very hard (folks who have to be up at 6 in the morning etc generally don't stay up late etc). More leisurely folks, with stronger constitutions, later waking hours (generally bad folks such as myself) don't have tea they just have a gorging dinner sometime between 8pm and whenever the kebab shop closes around 3 in the morning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal)#Afternoon_tea
I currently having 16 types of tea in myu house, I only rate 4 of them as ok, My sister in law thinks all tea in my house is substandard :lol:
Yes I do know some folks who like certain flavours so much they mix it with their baccy.(tobacco) Although most of them are hyper and very young.
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ranhothep » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:02 pm

What a lovely nice conversation on tea this has become! I guess Id get crucified if I admitted that the only tea I like is Tesco Value Ice Tea :rofl so Ill rather shut up

One thing Im fairly certain of now, is that next time Ill visit the isles Ill be sure to just stay with "go eat" and "food" and not try to get the names right, besides breakfast
FACT: I do like the sites avatar gallery!
Ranhothep
Chosen
Chosen

Postby jlong05 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:10 pm

Hmm. I guess I am weird. I only drink tea when I have a cold. I actually dislike the taste of tea. Now, a good cup of coffee. That is the stuff I like. :P
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Next

Return to Anything goes

Social Links