Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Zuzzy Terra-Flex

Discussion of anything 40K related

Zuzzy Terra-Flex

Postby Spack » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:13 pm

While digging through Warseer I noticed a post in the trading section about Zuzzy Terra-Flex. I've been looking over the site and I'm am really tempted to buy a mat (or possibly two, although I'll probably wait for the Urban mat they're working on); they are textured latex rubber, about 1.5mm thick, and available in various sizes. I've ordered a sample, when I arrives I'll post more details. Anyway, here's the URL:

http://www.zuzzy.com/
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby NorseWarrior » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:46 pm

Hmm...looks very interesting...
"If you can´t explain it simply, you don´t understand it well enough..."
NorseWarrior
Shas'ui
Shas'ui

Postby Angelwing » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:45 pm

That looks pretty good.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was a new carnifex configuration! :oops:
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby KInG » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:24 pm

keep us updated, i looked at them also.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Spack » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:41 pm

My sample has arrived :) I'm sat at work so I can't provide pics of it, but I'll post some later.

The top surface is very detailed, this particular sample looking like lava between rocks (it's from the Despoiled Reaches mat. The lava effect is very good, with lots of tiny holes on the areas that represent the crust. The rock areas are fairly flat with small crack details, and overall the surface is flat enough that models won't fall over (although my Chaos Raptors might end up proving me wrong there), but textured enought that a drybrush will bring up all the little details and look really effective.

It rolls up very tightly, so even the largest mat shouldn't take up much room - certainly a lot less than the GW grass mat sheet I have does as it needs to be rolled up fairly loosely. It's also tough - I've given the sample a few good pulls in various directions and it hasn't split yet, and it's pulled back to it's original shape, so for general use it shouldn't get damaged. I wouldn't recommend putting anything sharp near it though, unless you're intending to cut it.

The back of the sample, however, is very rough (think heavily textured paint like Artex), and as you put models on it they might fall over if they're a bit top heavy due to the way this rough backing affects the top surface when weight is put on it. It's also quite strange to see your fingerprints clearly on it where it's a pale colour, it's almost as if the latex reacts to oils in the skin. The top surface doesn't do this as noticeably, and with a light coat of paint shouldn't do it at all.

I've dropped a note to the manufacturers to ask if the final mats also have similar backing - as the samples are cut from a larger sheet I'm guessing that the actual mats are going to be like this, which might make them a little less useable.

On the whole the mat sample is very good, and a full mat should be a great playing surface.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:14 pm

cool - once ive got some funds in my paypal account i think il order a sample. i dont think il go for a whole mat, but it should make a good patch (3" x 6") of rough ground (cant go to far wrong for 75p). :D

cheers

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby jlong05 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Hmmm. Very good news about how they look and stuff. I am very interested in picking up a couple mats, as they looks like they would be great for in a pinch gaming. Thanks for the updated Spack.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Spack » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:19 pm

Here are the pics. Unfortunately it gets dark early here at this time of year so these had to be taken with the flash, but hopefully it'll show the mat texture.

http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Spack124

I'll try to get daylight photos with closeups on the detail later in the week.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby jlong05 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Spack wrote:Here are the pics. Unfortunately it gets dark early here at this time of year so these had to be taken with the flash, but hopefully it'll show the mat texture.

http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Spack124

I'll try to get daylight photos with closeups on the detail later in the week.

Hmmm. I wonder what zuzzy thinks about painting both sides to give dual gaming mats.. Spack, let us all know how well painting works when you get to trying that out. I think I may order a couple tester sheets to try stuff out myself also.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:54 pm

jlong05 wrote:Hmmm. I wonder what zuzzy thinks about painting both sides to give dual gaming mats

yeah i was looking at that back side too (oo-err missus :wink:). dunno if it would work with a fullsize mat if you painted both sides: the paint on one side would get stretched when you rolled it up (which wouldnt necessarily be something they considered when designing/testing).

be interesting to find out if they have tried it, though... :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General