Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

memory key madness

Discuss what you like

memory key madness

Postby Herne » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:41 pm

I hate to mix work and play, but just wondered if anyone out there can reccomend a product to me. For my place of work I need to source and provide as cheaply as possible some memory keys. (memory stick, USB memory - whatevery you want to call it.)

I need these keys to be encrypted and secure so staff can carry sensitive data beyond the work confines with peace of mind that data is protected. Does anyone know of a cheap option with simple encryption?

I have found free software that will do encryption for any standard memory key, but it always seems really complicated to use and I need something simple for the less IT literate people who may be usng them.

Anyone? Cheers. :)
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Re: memory key madness

Postby Ph4lanx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Blockmaster Safestick. We use these at work (I work for the NHS as an IT Engineer), so they have to be good to hold patient data for travel.

http://www.blockmastersecurity.com/

They can also be registered to a central server for password recovery without having to lose data or even know previous or current passwords by the user, meaning you don't need to go out and support the user with it.
And They Shall Know No Fear - Phalanx's Warhammer 40,000 blog.
Ph4lanx
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby mortiferum » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:15 pm

We use Sanctuary, secure volume browser.

As a user, I can say its very easy to use. Plug in the USB stick, up pops a window requiring your password, enter the password and if succesful lets you view, edit, transfer files to and from the USB stick.
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby Spack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:53 am

Stu, as a teacher did you not get a Memory4Teachers USB stick last year? They were apparently offered free to over 750,000 teachers, we paid a large sum of money to have two of our stores listed in the shopping section (there's a small part of the key hardcoded with a little application that has special offers aimed at teachers from various stores and links to handy information), and it includes a security system that is easy to use for the spare capacity to store files in. We have our suspicions that these USB keys were never sent out, or at least not in the volumes that the manufacturers stated, and if neither you nor any other teacher you know are aware of them then it just reinforces my thoughts.

You might still be able to register and get some from here: http://www.memory4teachers.co.uk/

Being free, there's no harm in at least trying :)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Herne » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks all - I'm gonna look into the safestick ones - are they an American company? The one for teachers Spack: Never heard of it - certainly wasn't buzzing around the education community as far as I am aware. I'm gonna look into their website, but I do wonder about the 'free' as I don't believe you ever get a free lunch in education. It may be set up for ma advertising from what I can see. Will be interesting to find out though. If anyone knows of any others for me to look into please say on! :-)

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Herne wrote:but I do wonder about the 'free' as I don't believe you ever get a free lunch in education.

But,... what about the kids with dinner tickets? :cry:

:lol:

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Angelwing » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:09 pm

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:
Herne wrote:but I do wonder about the 'free' as I don't believe you ever get a free lunch in education.

But,... what about the kids with dinner tickets? :cry:

Comes out of the council tax I expect.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby Herne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:25 am

;-)

Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Postby Spack » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:07 am

They're free because the M4T people got a grant from the government, and all the sponsorship money from companies like us. But as you've just proved it looks like it was a waste of time, grr.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Herne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 am

I have sent for one from them using their online forms. Will see what comes and if it's any good....

Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Hide Reply Options[Hide] Post a reply

Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive, there is no zero.

Return to Anything goes

Social Links