Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Dusty Models

Dusty Models

Postby KInG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Here's a topic I hope I'm not alone with; I'm pretty sure we all have suffered from this one at some time, willingly or unknowingly... Dusty models... and I'm not talking paint effects here or ForgeWorld powders; I mean the real deal... human skin type stuff :o

I have some of my models just sat on the shelf in the dining room. Not because of their fantastic painting schemes or marvellous skills, infact most are just undercoated black :(

But now, after many months, they all have a layer of dust on them. I took a land raider down the other day, while thinking about compiling a new DA list, and saw that my model was a different colour on the top edge. I took another down, a black undercoated one, and the dust was even more obvious on that.

My first reaction was to blow at the stuff, to try and remove it. That was marginally successful in its objective. But there was still a large amount still stuck to the model. I then reached for a large paint brush, 'large dry brush' I think it was, and brushed at the dust vigerously, trying not to snap the ariel and storm bolter off. This again removed some, but not all.

The next thing I thought of was to wet the brush and try to wash the dust off. This turned the dust into a black wash. Something you wouldn't mind having on an undercoated black model, or even one with its 1st layer of colour already done, but not on your finished, Death Wing, Bone White, Land Raider!! Horrified, I grabbed a tissue and started to scrub, trying to dry off the muck, but alas, it didn't shift it all.

I'm hoping that someone in our community has been here before and can help me out. I daren't do any more with them at present till I've sort your council. So if anyone has any advice, just write a comment below, thx.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: Dusty Models

Postby Socaddict » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Vacuum cleaner? Compressed air canisters?

Those would be my recommendations, mostly based on cleaning dust out of computers. None of my own models tend to be sat outside of boxes/cases for long enough to gather dust like that.

Those are my first thoughts.
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby lostandthedamned » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:19 pm

Large Soft makeup brush. The kind used for Blusher. Always worked when I wanted to get the Dust off PC components. Cheaper than Canned Air though takes more time.
When you wish upon a star, your dreams can come true.
Unless it's a meteorite falling to Earth, which will destroy all life, then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
Unless it's death by meteorite.
lostandthedamned
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:25 pm

If it's just undercoated models, I just use a brush or if it's really bad just run them under the tap!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby conscriptboris » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:30 pm

lostandthedamned wrote:Large Soft makeup brush.

Yep that works as ive tried, although if you are using the wifes dont get caught mid dust, apparently thats not what its for :P

Elvis
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby timewizard » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Sounds like the dust has adhered to the model's surface pretty well. If so, it's probably "glued down" with a combination of household dust, pollen, ariborne pollutants including cooking oils and grease. You'll probably need something to cut the dirt with.

I would try a test on one of the models. Try soaking it for a bit in warm water with dishwashing detergent. Over here I used a product called dawn, it's excellent at breaking up grease and doesn't strip the paint off of the model (for that I use something called Simple Green). After saoking, a rinse with a spray of warm water should do the trick. If you need to get any stubborn spots off, a soaking and then a soft scrub with a brush should finish it off. The a bit of an air dry and you'll be done.

I've use this technique in the past for some collectibles we had on a top shelf. Some were glazed but a few were painted and it worked very well. The washing solution keeps you from having to scrub too hard which could mar or ruin the surface.

Hope this works for you.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby KInG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:39 pm

All good advice, but John hat sounds harsh, soaking in water. None of my models are sealed with matt varnish etc. Will they be ok? I'm worried the paint will soften and then come off :|
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:44 pm

I haven't had that happen with mild dishwashing liquid.
But even if some did come off, you said most were just primed so far correct? So a little touch up wouldn't be noticed.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:06 pm

timewizard wrote:So a little touch up wouldn't be noticed.

Said the sister superior to the seraphim.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby RotweillerofJustice » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Nige,

Buy a shaving brush. They are a fairly robust brush that shouldn't scratch the surface of your models. Have owned a couple over the years but they have never been used for shaving with. Dusting models and weapon cleaning are what they're good for.

Lee
RotweillerofJustice
Shas'ui
Shas'ui

Medals: 6
Silver (1) Painting Entrant (5)

Postby Herne » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:30 pm

For average dust I use a soft brush as some of the gents above have mentioned, other than that compressed air. Now if only you knew of a computer shop somewhere that might sell it for cleaning pc innards.... :D
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Postby timewizard » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:53 pm

mattjgilbert wrote:
timewizard wrote:So a little touch up wouldn't be noticed.

Said the sister superior to the seraphim.

:D Cheers for that one Matt! It's been awhile since we had some good double entendres picked up! 8)
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby KInG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Yes we have compressed air stu, and I will certainly be trying that one. Failing that though, sounds like my models might be taking a bath! :|
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:07 pm

KInG wrote:Dusty models... and I'm not talking paint effects here or ForgeWorld powders; I mean the real deal... human skin type stuff :o

I don't see the problem.. a scratchbuild drop pod mr6 made me was covered in a black hard wearing (sand inc) paint thing.. Its sat on my open shelfs for 3 years.. the last time it came down WHW folks were amazed at my awesome wethering detail..
Nature has given us sucky painters a helping hand (note the time I actually set fire to a model to get a burnt effect actually turned out ok too.. but I think I fluked that totally :lol: )
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Articles

Social Links