Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

GW and little treats for the Vets

Discussion of anything 40K related

GW and little treats for the Vets

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:42 pm

Hey Guys

I was just checking out an ebay listing for some RT era Techmarines (carrying wrenches, scredrivers etc) and read one of the sellers comments: "You don't see Space Marines with screwdrivers anymore!". i thought "yep, you can say that again" but then i realised i had forgotten the little toolbox you get with the Whirlwind. now, although this doesnt have a screwdriver, it does have a wrench plus a hammer & chisel (i think).

could this have been a little something put onto the sprue as a treat for the Vets who remember the days when Marines carried tools?

and this got me thinking about what else GW have reintroduced that will make the Vets smile.

the obvious things are the Harlequins and the Combat Squad rule (as well as Marines carrying side-arms etc). theres also the Vortex tempate for Apoc and the Shokk Attack gun in the upcoming Ork Codex, and the return of the Eldar Avatar to his former glory. but what else has there been?

a more subtle one is the piece of architecture on the Dire Avenger sprues from the old pic showing a DA walking along a balcony inside a craftworld. theres also the Dark Angels Jetbike and the CoD Strategems certainly remind me of the Dark Millenium Strategy Cards too.

what others can you think of? :?:

cheers :)

~ Tim
p.s. now, the cynic in me says that this is just GW recylcing old ideas rather than coming up with something new (and being able to pass it off as new to a lot of their customers as they werent around the first time), and at the very least this is just to appease the angry vets who feel neglected. but hey, im happy to give GW the benefit of the doubt here - they could just be reintroducing all these things because they think they are cool, and want to be reminded of olden times too. :D
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:36 pm

I really want to conrtibute to your thread in a positive way, but I have to just let it slip out....
They brought back the 3.0 chaos codex, because weasel :5dunce and feeble :5geezer liked it more. :bduh
I'll get my coat :D
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KInG » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:29 pm

killmaimburn wrote:I really want to conrtibute to your thread in a positive way, but I have to just let it slip out....
They brought back the 3.0 chaos codex, because weasel :5dunce and feeble :5geezer liked it more. :bduh
I'll get my coat :D

i've not played this long enought to understand this I feel, please explain KMB :)
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:41 am

The original 3.0 wasn't very good, it had overpriced possessed who rolled on a random table (for a silly amount of extreme powers, but they cost a humongous amount), it had generic demons (but who could be cult aligned to gain 1 ability--- they also had fast attack demons as you know them from 3.5 and demon cavalry as fantasy (and the demonworld codex) know them e.g. a squad of blokes on discs of tzeentch-- I have no fast attack in 4.0 (well bikes and raptors so 2, no body counts the spawn) in 3.0 they had 5 different *groups* of FA.
It had very limited wargear and no real cult specific stuff, apart from banners.fists etc were the same as the new codex pricing structure pretty much.
The HQ set up was lord sorceror, DP GD as it is now.(although the GD came with a different statline and features for different gods.. how imaginative 8O)
Termies and vets were a seperate choice (termies cost less now and have the option for combi plas(until GW faq it away)- most of the rest of it was in 3.0)
Cult troops were just an elite slot, as now they are just a troops choice. No cult army beneifts or real fluff push although with the 4 different groupings of demon you could have a bit of flavour.
Oh and doom rider and cypher were there, but thats not exactly a saving grace, it just shows huron to be a bit bland.(lord fist flamer pwer wep :p compared to demon biker special charecter)

Mid way through they realised it was utter chud and starting adding bits left right and centre, cult termies got added (sound familiar) Its replacement (3.5 the most loved and the most hated codex of all time??)was in the shop within 3 years to scrap it.
From what I've read elsewhere, someone fell out of favour, and when he rose back to power he just brought it (3.0\4.0)back with him.

Its a cheap partisan shot on my part as most people have already voiced this over the 900 pages of moaning in rumours 40k general and even in tactics.Hence my apologising for even whispering it again. For those who disagree, I accept its a cheap shot, I don't mean to spark a row many apologies for the lash being taken to the undead armies cavalry (flogging the dead horse) but when evaluating\comparing the chaos codex it is usefull to compare not only to its predecessor but to the one before that too (which seems an awfull lot closer..)
Its one of those topics I do mini rant about (as do one or two of the more player orientated mods at seer :D ) so do feel free to delete my post if anyone feels it would start an argument, or further detract from tims most positive thread.
Last edited by killmaimburn on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:45 am

Tim: I suspect it's a little of both. There is no harm recycling old ideas, especially if those ideas are:
1. Good
and
2. Still relevant

I also think that we are seeing a bit more of a shift towards bringing back what the players want to see. That includes getting the "old timers" like jervis and rick p back into the forefront of things, something they (seemingly) were not for a time. Having them influence things from early stages of conception (and even run whole projects) is bound to reintroduce some of the things that they themselves beleive are important and nostalgic aspects of the hobby.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:54 am

thansk for the replies guys :) ... although i really was hoping for you to post some more examples like those in my OP. :wink:

so far we have:

- toolbox on Whirlwind sprue
- artitecture on DA sprue
- Harliquins
- Combat Squads
- side-arms etc
- SM Jetbike
- Vortex template
- Shokk Attack Gun
- Strategems

what others can you think of?

cheers :)