Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Gate of Infinity = Movement?

Discussion of rules in Warhammer 40K - use for existing rules only, for discussing new rules or changes/alternatives use the Rules Development forum

Moderator: mattjgilbert

Gate of Infinity = Movement?

Postby timewizard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Just a couple of Gate of Infinity questions. This hasn't come up in any games yet, but I was interested in opinions.

1) To use GoI, the Librarian takes a Psychic test. If you roll double '6', he takes a wound and the power can't be used. Could the Librarian then move normally?

2) Since GoI is used in the movement phase, and the movement rules say you could measure a move and then move in that direction, or measure a different direction, or even decide not to move at all, could you measure 24" away from the Librarian, decide not to attempt GoI and then move normally?
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Gate of Infinity = Movement?

Postby mattjgilbert » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:37 pm

1) Yes I think so
2) Yes
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby timewizard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Thanks Matt, that's what I thought as well.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:04 pm

timewizard wrote:1) To use GoI, the Librarian takes a Psychic test. If you roll double '6', he takes a wound and the power can't be used. Could the Librarian then move normally?
Hrrmmm i guess.. but I have little niggling doubts (I think it works as is..but the reasoning is that you haven't deep struck and may therefore move.. rather than that casting the spell (in itself) stops you from moving, otherwise you get into the whole "my seargent failed his test, his head blew off and will now fire his bolt pistol" silly)

timewizard wrote:2) Since GoI is used in the movement phase, [...] could measure a move and then move in that direction,

Why is the "like movement" so different from the like movement of deep strike where all the internets bar me, say that you shouldn't do it... http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... premeasure
Views?
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ruffian4 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:33 pm

timewizard wrote:
1) To use GoI, the Librarian takes a Psychic test. If you roll double '6', he takes a wound and the power can't be used. Could the Librarian then move normally?

This kind of reminds me of the argument about a psycher with 2 powers who can cast only one, failing with the first (as I recall, "attempting to use the power" use the farce Luke) = attempt and fail does not equal use, so I can use the other one then. :wink:

Again as I recall (not sure) the concensus was that attempting to use = use.
Not the same, but some precedent, maybe.

But, I don't think there is RAW to stop you moving after you attempt to move and fail.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby timewizard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:49 pm

@KMB-I started looking through the warseer thread, must have missed that one, but I only got through the first page (have to get supper started!) will wade through the rest of it later.
I think I'll have to split this into 2 different topics, one on GoI and the other on measuring in general in 40K. But since the new rules for WFB allow measurements to be made all over the board if I read it correctly, I wonder what this will bode for 40K in the future, if anything.

@Ruffian-I agree with the concensus. I think the key part is the phrase in the Psyker rule; "To use a psychic power successfully the psyker must pass a Psychic test..." I don't think it is too much of a stretch to infer that failing the Psychic test would result in unsuccessfully using the psychic power. And the power has then been used, albeit unsuccessfully!
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:37 pm

timewizard wrote:@Ruffian- I don't think it is too much of a stretch to infer that failing the Psychic test would result in unsuccessfully using the psychic power. And the power has then been used, albeit unsuccessfully!
DA HOOD
" after an opponent has successfully made a psychic test but before the power is used" ..this way troll caves live.. :twisted:
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to 40K Rules

Social Links