Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Getting started on 40K

Discussion of anything 40K related

Getting started on 40K

Postby mgaleski » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi everyone, I've been looking to start 40k for some time now, and I'm looking for some insight as to which army I should start out on. I've been heavily considering space marines (as you could probably guess) and it would be wonderful if I could get some information on some good space marine chapters. Thanks.
mgaleski

Re: Getting started on 40K

Postby BANE » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi, Space Marines is a good first army, its a fairly forgiving army that can do everything well so if you make a mistake using it you can half way get away with it.
The Space Marine codex is the bog standard list which is supposed to be balanced and whould be a good place to look first, after that the 2 armies of note are spacewolves and blood angels (dark angels is a bit old now for me).
Both SW and BA have a different feel to SM with SW being a get close and shoot before counter attacking the enemies assault where the BA are more focused on just getting into assault first.
It all depends on how you would like to play because each list can be tweeked to do most things well but some units are naturally better at some things than others.
BANE
Captain
Captain

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mgaleski » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:09 pm

SW and BA actuallly were the two chapters I was taking under serious consideration
mgaleski

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:25 pm

It's also important to consider:

1. The background of the army
2. The look & feel of the army

The background
Have a read up on the basic background of each of your options. Dig a little deeper into the ones you take a fancy to. At some point, something is going to gel with you and you'll tink "that's the one for me"

The look & feel
Look through painted examples of the models and through the artwork and see what catches your eye and your imagination. Consider what is within your comfort zone to try and model/paint. Combine the imagery and the background you like and you'll have made your choice :)

As BANE says, space marines are great all rounders at their core but specific chapters can add a lot more flavour, not only in their background but also in their style of play. SW ad BA are good choices if you fancy an in-your-face assault approach.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby mgaleski » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Well, I really do love the fluff for Space Wolves, the whole norse background and everything. I have been leaning towards them because of this, and becuase from what I've seen and read, they're less jump straight in, and more shoot then unleash the raving loonies. Do either of you have a beginner Space Wolves army that you happen to have on hand or one that you could link to me? Much thanks if you do.
mgaleski

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:58 pm

I'll ask Wolflord Havoc to reply to the thread as a lifelong SW player. Might be 24 hours or so before he responds though...
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby KInG » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:46 pm

hi there mgaleski...

40k-army-lists/real-wolves-t3962-p41527.html?hilit=space

this link is to a thread by a gentleman named Killswitch. He came 2nd of 3rd in the last GW 40K Grand Tournement. This thread was the one he posted before the tounrey, as we were planning our lists. It might make interesting reading from a competitive angle. As for a more fluffy approach, hopefully others can scrape up some more reading for you. ;)
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:14 am

Hi mgaleski and welcome to AoS!

Here's something else just to help confuse, an article about how great Ultramarines are. If you need more convincing, just ask Matt!

I play Space Marines, no recognized chapter, mine are called the Death Dealers.

We'll probably all keep giving you more links to various articles.

Until then, welcome again, and please don't feed the members (except for KMB and Ruffian)

Time Wizard
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mgaleski » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:56 am

Thanks for the input, but I've never really been interested in Ultramarines .....And it doesn't help that I've already heard a lifetimes worth of propaganda
mgaleski

Postby timewizard » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:02 am

That's okay, was just filling in time while I was looking for some SW stuff for you.

There's this article on painting wolves;

And this one is a site all about the care and feeding of space wolves.

Good luck with your new force!
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mgaleski » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:26 am

Thanks for the info, send anything else you find my way.
mgaleski

Postby ruffian4 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:46 am

Welcome to aos!

mgaleski wrote:Well, I really do love the fluff for Space Wolves, the whole norse background and everything.

Sounds like your'e half way there then. :D

My mate Norsemantyr (what, someone called Norsemantyr has a space wolves army? No, surely not) is into Norse mythology and runic scripts.
His squads have rune symbols painted on to describe their battlefield roles, like bloodclaws are attack/destroy (iirc).

Might prove some interesting reading.

You might want to think about a 13th company army. They don't exist as a stand alone list anymore, but might make for an interesting force.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby mgaleski » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Well yeah, I'm really into norse stuff, so thats the first good reason, and I just really love their units (grey hunters seem kinda pro) and their chapter specific wargear, so It's pretty conclusive that I'm going to stick with space wolves for my main army
mgaleski

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:27 pm

KInG wrote:this link is to a thread by a gentleman named Killswitch. He came 2nd of 3rd in the last GW 40K Grand Tournement. This thread was the one he posted before the tounrey, as we were planning our lists.

You've really got to pay a bit more attention king..
his list there (as first scratchings out) was
Rune Priest: 110pts
Living Lightning, Jaws, Chooser of slain.

Rune Priest: 110pts
Murderous Huricane, Chooser of slain, Jaws.

Grey Hunters (9): 218pts
Meltagun, Wolf guard with Power fist & Combi-melta. Rhino with Extra armour.

Grey Hunters (9): 218pts
Meltagun, Wolf guard with Power fist & Combi-melta. Rhino with Extra armour.

Grey Hunters (9): 203pts
Meltagun, Banner, Motw, Wolf guard with TDA, Chain fist & Combi-melta.

Grey Hunters (6): 168pts
Meltagun, Wolf guard with Power fist & Combi-melta. Razorback.

Land Raider: 275pts
Ex. Armour, Multi-melta.

Long Fangs: 203pts
5 Rockets, Wolf guard with TDA & Clyclone ML.

Godhammers :roll:
his list by the final (as in if your trying to link to something comp) was
Rune Priest [Living Lightning, Jaws, Chooser of the Slain] 110
Rune Priest [Jaws, Murderous Hurricane, melta bombs] 105
Rune Priest [Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane] 100

5 Wolf Guard [3 with power fist and combi-meltas, 1 with combi-melta, 1 with chainfist, terminator armour and cyclone missile launcher] 230

6 Hunters [meltagun, wolf standard, mark of the wulfen, rhino] 155
5 Hunters [meltagun, razorback] 120

2 Speeders [multi meltas and heavy flamers] 140

5 Long Fangs [4 missile launchers] 115
5 Long Fangs [4 missile launchers] 115

Total - 1500 points

I mean if your talking about what we have *here*.. my "virgin wolf" (first glance and sticking btis and bobs together) list is closer to the list he actually took than the list you linked to and has people (inc killswitch) tearing it apart for better analysis and learning )... :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly :new_silly
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby WolflordHavoc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 am

mattjgilbert wrote:I'll ask Wolflord Havoc to reply to the thread as a lifelong SW player. Might be 24 hours or so before he responds though...

Ha! 24 hours indeed.....damn :oops:

I would alway build the basic army around 2 or more squads of fully tooled up Grey Hunters with Basic Rhino's (some of the best infantry in the game IMO - there is nothing they can't kill) - I run them with a Flamer, Melta, Wolf Standard, Powerfist, Wulfen for 200 pts + a basic Rhino at 35

Around this I have added Long fang squads (I built 21 Long fangs and can field 3 squads) my basic 2 units are 2 ML 2 HB 1 MM with a Basic Razor back - 170 points in total.

Bloodclaws - I have built a 15 Strong unit designed to be led by a un-upgraded Wolf Priest (my only HQ) and I mount these in a Crusader with all the trimmings and these guys tend to wade through any objective

To this I add a few Land speeder Typhoons and this flavour of force (1500 pts) has done me proud

Pit falls of choosing a SW army is to get taken in by the Shiney Characters and Wolf Guard basically all the 'neat and Cool' units. The Wolflords and Heroes can get very expensive very quickly and IMO are not worth it

The core strength of the SW is the Grey Hunter backed up by the Long fang and some Bloodclaw - play the numbers game with some rock hard basic units - its suprising how many Space Wolf Marines you can suddenly field.
WolflordHavoc
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Next

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links