Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

spell selection

Discussing rules for WFB

spell selection

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:00 pm

Am I right in thinking that the new rules for selecting spells mean than a book like the O&G one efectively limits the number of cumulative wizard levels you can take in your army?

For example, if you play goblins you can take spells of the little waaagh. There are only 6 of those which cannot be repeated which means you get handicapped in your ability to take magic users in mid-large sized games. On top of that the spells themselves are probably not comparable in effect or power to the lastest crop in the BRB so don't even make up for it that way.

Or did I miss someting?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Re: spell selection

Postby Ogregut » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:06 pm

You can always take the first spell multiple times so while its not worth taking 2 lv4 goblin shamans you can take a lv 4, a lv 2 and lots of lv 1's who will know the first spell. I dont think you need more than a 6 levels of magic in a army tho as the dice only go so far!
Yes I study Psychology, no I can't read your mind.........yet!

Devlin mud, painting armies since 2008!
Ogregut
Exarch
Exarch

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:48 pm

You can only take signature spells multiple times as I read it. Only the new versions of the lores in the BRB have signature spells, which are in addition to the other 6. THe O&G spell lists only have 6 spels, no signature one to fall back on. By Raw ;)
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Ogregut » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:35 am

Your right, didn't quite read that one properly! So yeah you couldn't take more than 6 levels of magic if you just take goblins. Tho you could take a goblin warlord with the magic hat!

Edit
Page 490 states;
"Ordinarily, each spell can only be known once in the same army. The only exceptions are where a spell is not generated randomly such as:"

"If the army book or spell lore clearly states that a model can exchange another spell for the spell in question."

I believe every army book says that you can swap one spell for the first in the list so you should be able to have lots of wizards just knowing the first spell.
Yes I study Psychology, no I can't read your mind.........yet!

Devlin mud, painting armies since 2008!
Ogregut
Exarch
Exarch

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 am

I guess so. Go spell spam!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby DaBoss » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:16 am

mattjgilbert wrote:You can only take signature spells multiple times as I read it. Only the new versions of the lores in the BRB have signature spells, which are in addition to the other 6. THe O&G spell lists only have 6 spels, no signature one to fall back on. By Raw ;)

Yep - It's worded very strangely

Goblin Shaman roll a D6 to randomly generate a spell from this chart. A Shaman can automatically swap one spell for Gaze of Gork if he does not generate it randomly.

I think it is assumed that 'Gaze of Gork' is the signature spell for the Little Waaagh!

I also assume that Orc & Goblin Shaman who Miscast use the Waaagh! Miscast Table than the BRB chart?
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Blog: View Blog (43)

Postby DaBoss » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:22 am

Question: How do people tackle spell selection with multiple Wizards from the same Lore?

I have Skrolk who is a Level 3 and a Plague Priest Level 1. In which order should I roll there spells.

I really want to get 'Wither' and 'Plague' on Skrolk as he is going to be my main spellcaster, do I roll him first; or do I go with the Plague Priest so that when I roll the same spell for Skrolk he can select which ever spell he wants.

E.g. Plague Priest rolls up 'Vermintide'
Skrolk rolls 'Pestilent Breath', 'Vermintide' and 'Plague' - can't have 2 Vermintides so Skrolk selects 'Wither'.

Risk is that Plague Priest gets 'Wither' or 'Plague' first.

What do you do?
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Blog: View Blog (43)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:44 am

There is always going to be an element of risk.

In this case you options are:

Go with Plague Priest first and hope he doesn't roll either of the ones you want - if he doesn't it means the chances of Skrolk getting them increase.

or

Go with Skrolk first with a weakened chance of getting the ones you want but knowing they haven't already been taken.

DaBoss wrote:I also assume that Orc & Goblin Shaman who Miscast use the Waaagh! Miscast Table than the BRB chart?
This is my assumption too.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Drax » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:43 pm

although you guys are right in what you are saying, if for whatever reason you do want more than one level 4, you do obviously still get the bonus of his +4 to cast even if you don't have the full compliment of spells!
Drax
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:58 pm

A mixed O&G army fairs better as it has access to another 6 spells of course.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince