Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

O&Gs and Trolls

For posting army lists, battle reports, and discussing tactics

O&Gs and Trolls

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 am

It seems to me that Trolls are only worth taking in a O&G army if you keep them within the IP range of your general. To a degree, this then dictates how you can use them and also how you general must behave. If you don't they are going to spend most of the game shuffling forwards 1D6 only due to stupidity and a very low Ld.

How do people use, and manage trolls?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Re: O&Gs and Trolls

Postby PaddyF » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Near General or some Hero in there to keep them in line. Either way with the change to BSB keep them near that as well so you get improved LD and a reroll.
Ork Kommando on Infiltrating:

Everybody else is like "we'z gotta strip down to be slippery like". Beakies do this, umies do this, even orkses do this, but Eldarz all like " You'z all stupid, dats why youz monkeys. Iz putting on 'eavier armor, iz gonna stomp through the jungle all sneaky like and chainsaw you stealthy like cuz Eldar's da best like dat. And if youz looks at me funny, dakka comes outta my face"
PaddyF
Genestealer
Genestealer

Postby Ogregut » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:47 pm

You defo need to keep the general near by and as Paddy said having the BSB close will also help alot. It might be worth buying a cheap hero on boar to join and babysit them as you could end up playing dawn attack and sods law will mean your general and trolls will end up on different sides of the board!
Yes I study Psychology, no I can't read your mind.........yet!

Devlin mud, painting armies since 2008!
Ogregut
Exarch
Exarch

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:27 pm

*facepalm*

Hero joining the unit...didn't even consider it!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Herne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Just wheeling out my O&G for re-learning the new edition - anyone have any advice or tactics generally? I tend to love lots of black orcs, as I have 70+ of the models and think they are the best in the entire ork ranges for 40k and fantasy put together. Any one else here use em much? Any advice?
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:46 pm

I used them last night. Small unit of 12 with full command and the banner of butchery. Very nice.

I'd be tempted to add an extra rank though as 12 is a small number and with only heavy armour, they can't take the punishment back really. Unless you take shields of course but then you are sacrificing your hitting power.

Choose 2 choppers, activate the banner and if you can cast the spell which gives them re-rolls to hit (can't remember its name) they should chew through most things I think.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Ogregut » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Guy at our club runs 3 horde units of 40. 2 regular orc units and 1 black orc unit. The rest of the points is spent on support; trolls, chariots, fast cav, war machines. Its quite nasty, not alot you can do with 120 angry orcs running at you!

I think the key to using orcs and goblins is support. With such a big list to choose from and special and rare restrictions gone (almost) it is now possable to have a chariot or small cav unit for each of your main units to really hit hard!
Yes I study Psychology, no I can't read your mind.........yet!

Devlin mud, painting armies since 2008!
Ogregut
Exarch
Exarch

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Herne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Ogregut wrote: Its quite nasty, not alot you can do with 120 angry orcs running at you!

This is similar to my list - loads of big orc units, who stick around more now woth the BSB and General leadership rules. Never seem to have many points left for the support units - those black orcs don't half soak up the points. Also at the mo I seem to be playing a lot of shooty armies - Empire gunline, Dwarf organ guns and thunderer / crossbows, High elf archer / magic / Rbolt lists, so it's tough work slogging across the battlefield. Generally those huge units of boys are a lot slimmer by the time they get there.

Incidentally matt - your dipped orcs and goblins - did you use the army painter spray for the basecoat? If so how did you find it? Which one did you use? (There's a goblinoid green and another green that looks similar and i'm not sure what colour they give...)
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:58 am

No I didn't use the army painter base coat. The only can I tried of it was the blue on my marines. I don't know if I just had a bad can or the conditions were wrong but it ruined them and I had to strip the stuff back off again.

I've read lots of good things about it though so it was probably just unlucky.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby lostandthedamned » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:21 am

I had real problems with Army Painter Blue as well. Made the minis look furry, beyond any normal bobbling. That's what caused me to turn to Gesso.
When you wish upon a star, your dreams can come true.
Unless it's a meteorite falling to Earth, which will destroy all life, then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
Unless it's death by meteorite.
lostandthedamned
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:06 am

That's exactly what happened to mine.

I bought some Gesso the other day from The Works after your recommendation :) I think I'll try it on some resin peices I have to do.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby timewizard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:57 pm

I use Gesso almost exclusively. I got a bottle of white and one of black and mix up my own shade for gray as needed.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Surely you mean grey?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby timewizard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:37 pm

mattjgilbert wrote:Surely you mean grey?

Um, but of course! 8)
I did find an interesting point about this;

grAy is how it's spelled in America
grEy is how it's spelled in England
:P

From this site; http://www.greyorgray.com/

And of course this memorable one;

England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
George Bernard Shaw
:wink:

Thank you for keeping me on my toes Matt! :D
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:44 pm

Oh I knew you spelled it wrong differently across the pond :D I missed the ;) at the end of the post

:twisted:
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Next

Return to WFB Tactica

Social Links