Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

KMB + LH finally do Apocalypse-**NOW WITH VIDBATREP**

Want to show off your painted figures? Got a cool conversion? Need some ideas?

KMB + LH finally do Apocalypse-**NOW WITH VIDBATREP**

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:45 am

Video batrep here
PREMISE
OK so as Ljundhammer has said in his "superheavy?" thread.. me and him are going to have a proper battle royal.
6k a side 28th november, the heat is on.. so we're quickly bashing together a shed load of assets, models and terrain generally..although even though its only 27 days away ..we could still use some adrenaline pumping enthusiasm from you lot so we can plough on through all the paper cuts (I've already gouged a chunk out of my hand with a stanley knife had to pick up lily from school wearing a thick glove so the dripping didn't freak people out) and rules arguments and get to the goal of game start (bat rep and stuff will probably be a seperate thread)..
So me an LH will post stuff and you lot can pep talk us :D

So far.. I've worked out a rough story line (revealed when its a bit more coherant) that justifies space marines, chaos chaos demons.. whilst LH takes Space marines (DW) guard and ordos codexs.
RULES so far
We're keeping the dedicated transports rules.
Cross over skills , default is no..unless conpelling case made and opponent freely consents.
We're observing alessio's comments on apoc in 5th ed , troops hold.. vehicles over 100 points mobile can hold..non vehicle units over 50% can hold. (still thinking).
outflank works (although is even more luck based)
Certain codexs (DA,DH WH) are brought into line.
Deathwing sheet can be initiated without a greater demon.
FOCs don't apply, but there is an incentive to use more forces as we've capped how many people can be influenced by army wide rules (currently being hammered out)..also limitless weapons limited to 24-36"ish..
No real cap on superheavies other than game balancey stuff.

Table will be 8 foot by 4 foot. (maybe 9 foot by 4 foot if it seems sensible and we're squashed).
Time will be 9.30 table is up and terrain mostly down.Aiming for turn 1 start around 10.15 ish.. End time 9.30pm (for an hours tally and tidy up of 12k of minis and 3 tables).
We have privately shared which formations we're thinking of taking, and we are currently discussing assets..(with 13 orbital bombardments how many vortex grenades should really be allowed)
I looked at LH's stuff which was considerably fluffier than mine.. so to fit with story..I'm running about desperately trying to make a doomsday machine (see chaos online apocalypse datasheet).
Modelling
Dylan wearing a hen party cowboy hat, photo was corrupted by chaos.
Starting work on the dragons tears kind donation of the ministry building. Its a relatively simple thing..IF you ignore all the cool stuff, I couldn't do that, so I've been sawing out each window.. and the floors of the insides so that I can actually use the building inside..fiddly thing (I'm sure they/matt did some cutting before handing it on.. but I'm still 3 hours of cutting in)
Working on making the doomsday device.
just need to dash out buy wood glue and see if my wife is right that I have a glue gun before carrying on.
Last edited by killmaimburn on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: KMB + LH finally do Apocalypse

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Rushing on
Oh sheetttt!! wood glue and holding 4 sides at once not working
:( start again.
Lessons learnt ..never attempt something without having a big wodge of superglue on standby (I haven't I'm just praying it all holds together and doens't get stuck to the table..
Lesson not learnt.. but understood.. alot of people say that when creating large stuff I should fill the gaps with papier maches/ wodge in some paper and glue to reinforce joining sections..
(this would be fine if I A) had some paper, B) some glue that set in under 4 hours :evil: :wink: )

This is the doomsday device..in its current form (upside down.. with a load of books resting on it)..
It will look better when the books come off it, upside down and with a few bits and bobs from heroquest on it (I'm thinking sorcerors book in middle, chaos warrios on pillers.. 4 chaos acolytey things trying to read the book...(I might even pin a few floating rocks and things around but that would mean I'd be fielding a lot of unpainted minis ..

I also have to do the "drivers" for my slaughterfiends, berserkers riding defiliers=awesome 8)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby mattjgilbert » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:39 pm

I see you hae the number one most important thing there: a brightly multi-coloured table cloth. All the best people have them :)

It's good to see that building coming together finally.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Ljundhammer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Alrighty then!

First draft list is ready, with painting/modeling/purchases required:

= owned & made & painted
= owned but not finished
= not owned (I think...)

Imperial guard contingent:

Baneblade: 525pts

Infantry company: 1660pts
CCS without kell
Kell
Chimera
3 x platoon command squads
4 infantry squads
4 infantry squads
2 heavy weapon squads
2 heavy weapon squads
4 commisars

3 Veteran squads (no data sheet): 465pts
Veteran squad + chimera
Veteran squad + chimera
Veteran squad + chimera

Emperor's fist tank squadron: 520pts
3 x leman russ

Banewolves (no data sheet): 270pts
2 x banewolf

Basilisks (no data sheet): 280pts
2 x basilisks

3 x sentinals: 120pts

Marbo: 65pts

Rough riders: 65pts

Inquisition:

Hereticus inquisitor & retinue: 179pts
Malleus inquisitor & retinue & transport: 470pts
4 x storm trooper squads: 320pts
Arbite squad & transport: 194pts
Priest: 70pts
3 x Penitent engines: 240pts
2 x exorsists: 276pts
3 x death cult assassins: 120pts
2 x daemonhosts: 170pts

6,009 points

Currently it's:
203 troopers and 22 vehicles. That doesn't seem very many... My poor IG are carrying the inquisition I think - may need a rethink!

Hmmm - that's a lot of guardsmen to paint!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby timewizard » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm

mattjgilbert wrote:I see you hae the number one most important thing there: a brightly multi-coloured table cloth. All the best people have them :)

Nope. The thing fell apart because of the pressure from all those balloons excaping through the large opening in the bottom and pushing the walls out. 8)

Brightly multi-colo(u)red tablecloths are mere figments of the imagination.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BigJim » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 am

@LH - As someone who has painted an IG army (over 130 guardsmen) - it is worth it when you look at the finished product - but starting the next unit of 10 can be very demoralising - just keep at it!!

@kmb - Loving the scenary pics. It is a brave man who tries for 4 sided buildings in 40k. We went largely with 2-3 sided ones as it made access easier - and painting ruins it doesn;t matter if your hand slips every now and again :)

@time - you should know that imagination does not exist in the 40k universe - it was outlawed by the inquisition ;)
BigJim

Postby timewizard » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:51 am

BigJim wrote:@time - you should know that imagination does not exist in the 40k universe - it was outlawed by the inquisition ;)

I would imagine that is correct.

@KMB - Do like the building though. Are all digits still intact after cutting out all those windows?
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby ruffian4 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Yeah, be careful with the digits, we don't want mathematics collapsing (again), now do we?
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for the support peeps the engine is well and truely pulling away now.
Todays update
Right way up with a few spare bits from the arcane ruins boxset (best terrain piece, much better than that other chaos mountain one)
Other angle
Just bluetacked a few pieces on to show what I'm aiming for with the end product in my mind. Might swap it for just the tomb and the 2 sorcerors if it looks too cluttered. hopefully use timewizards gold greening on chaos warriors if possible.. we'll see.
The problem is,(game play wise) on a 9 or 10 it needs line of site to stuff (and its shorter than a rhino :oops: ).. should I put it on a bunch of (somehow crumbling) columns (more wine corks).. or a bunch more wood, in which case it will look like an occasional table. (hurrumph.)
I've reached imagination land limit now I just need to make it practicable.

I finally got the ministorum safely together (it required me digging out some nail varnish to bind some corners...damn I need to go shopping). Its still fragile it needs me to get a pot of super glue and reinforce the corners.. so no movement or pics until the reinforced thing is more cuboid (then I get to mess around adding the base stairwells, columns portico.. and the I get to mod it (use the detrius plastic card to board up a few windows me thinks..)

I would have preferred 3 sided battleworn.. but the structure requires 4 sides to hold together..beggars can't be choosers and it is a nice piece (just needs to be strong enough to survive many hands groping around inside.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby timewizard » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:19 pm

If it's going to be finished to look like stone, why not raise it up on a stone wall?
You could do something like a dry laid stone wall under it.
Something like this...

The other plus is it gives you the option of raising it up as much or as little as you want. If it isn't high enough after playtesting, just add another row. The stones themselves can be made out of plaster spread thin on a plastic sheet and allowed to dry, then broken into pieces.

EDIT: Found it! Here's a link to a post on TerraGenesis of 1 way to make fieldstone walls. I'm sure it could be easily adapted to other materials. http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=6409
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby ruffian4 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:49 pm

I would think the height of a wine cork + average model is about the same as a leman russ, so if you call the eyes of each of the statues fire points/weapons, wouldn't that be ok?

In any case, who cares, you know it will be a dud!

Is a 4x8 table big enough for 6000 points???
We have problems with 4000 on the TWAT table.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:13 pm

timewizard wrote:The other plus is it gives you the option of raising it up as much or as little as you want. If it isn't high enough after playtesting, just add another row. The stones themselves can be made out of plaster spread thin on a plastic sheet and allowed to dry, then broken into pieces.
Whilst awesome and groovy and saving the link for a future time, making 40"s2 of that would break my brain.
ruffian4 wrote:I would think the height of a wine cork + average model is about the same as a leman russ, so if you call the eyes of each of the statues fire points/weapons, wouldn't that be ok?
Probably end up that way..
if I find a conveniant brick of sterofoam lying around I might shape a little pyramidy thing under it..
ruffian4 wrote:In any case, who cares, you know it will be a dud!
that it only fires after turn 1 is immobile and loses structure points for any penetrating hits.. I think its MOST likely to ,well yeah, plink plink fizzle boom 6d6 of my army evaporates....BUT I WAN ET FOR KAY_OSSS
ruffian4 wrote:Is a 4x8 table big enough for 6000 points???
We have problems with 4000 on the TWAT table.
valid.. as I say we can stretch to 9ftx4ft but when turn 2 starts and reserves show up it will be a squidge..
I tallied my army- its less models than your average 1500point guard army.. its 123 models. 5996.. (only about 7 troops choices) at the very most it will be 353 models.. a drop in the ocean of our collections :twisted: ..and once all bombardments and D weapons and vortex grenades start flying..I expect 40-60 models to be removed a turn.

I think...I hope that this is just one of a few games we have (over the years not the week after) and that we can get fix/adapt to this sort of thing.

I'm looking at apocalypse missions right now...any one any tipcs, anyone played any good ones in the books (inc IA Apoc etc)
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Stone wall... how about a big cheap bucket of air drying clay from the early learning centre and carving the lines into it?

Scan that page = fail. Will try to engage memory this evening.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby timewizard » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:04 pm

mattjgilbert wrote:Stone wall... how about a big cheap bucket of air drying clay from the early learning centre and carving the lines into it?

Or for that matter, just some blue foam with the rocks carved in.
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby ruffian4 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:11 pm

How about putting it onto a slab of "natural" rock, ie however you do that???

The way I make rocky outcrops is ...

Random chunks of ripped up polystyrene pva'd together into appropriately sized/shaped blob.
When dry, apply a mix of (whatever grade sand, according to roughness required) + about 50/50 pva and standard household emulsion (like porridge).

Allow to dry for a couple of days, it literally goes like concrete and you get quite deep cracks where it dries unevenly, dead easy!

Re table size, we ended up using enforced reserves, like 10% or whatever, though we wasn't using apoc super bombage ...

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Next

Return to Painting & Modelling - General

Social Links