Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

I need some help enforcing a volatile rule.

Discussion of anything 40K related

I need some help enforcing a volatile rule.

Postby fyrebyrd » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:39 am

Hey guys,
I was reading some of the different threads(on warseer) on walkers needing bases. I have a small problem. I run all of the tournaments around my local area, and I am looking for the simplest, least evasive way to enforce bases on the defilers. How big should I make them have to be? My thoughts would be roughly the size of the 7" Blast from Apocalypse. So let the discussion begin. I need everyones thoughts. Thanks in advance...
fyrebyrd
The Unforgiven Angel
Initiate

Re: I need some help enforcing a volatile rule.

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:08 am

fyrebyrd wrote:Hey guys,
I was reading some of the different threads(on warseer) on walkers needing bases.

well, they only "need" bases if you dont want to create alternate rules for measuring from walkers and checking how much LOS a walker blocks when Locked in CC.

its like most rules really - if you dont like it, there are ways around it (although these can be more hassle than just following it...).

fyrebyrd wrote:I have a small problem. I run all of the tournaments around my local area, and I am looking for the simplest, least evasive way to enforce bases on the defilers. How big should I make them have to be? My thoughts would be roughly the size of the 7" Blast from Apocalypse. So let the discussion begin. I need everyones thoughts. Thanks in advance...

by RaW there is no minimum legal size for the base (as they arent supplied with bases at all).

in normal games, the only limit is what your opponent finds acceptable, and if you are running an event, then within the confines of your event your word is law (presumably).

of course, you dont want to upset your player base/cause a boycott of your event etc...

you could:
- ask your players how big they want the minimum size to be
- impose an arbitrary minimum size
- demand that no part of any individual Defiler model (barring guns/spikes) extends over the edge of its base (allowing base sizes to vary depending on the pose etc)
- judge each Defiler and its base on an individual basis, in advance (giving players the chance to change their bases or boycott your event, as required)

as long as it isnt balancing like a ballarina on a base that is obviously too small, or dwarfed by an otherwise empty base that is far too big, then i dont think it should be an issue. afterall, if GW thought it was important that there was a minimum standard size for Defiler bases, they could implement one themselves (either by a note in the codex, an FAQ, or by supplying Defilers with bases).

if the players are happy then that is the most important thing: can you trust them to make an informed decision and reach a compromise themselves? you might find that no-one even cares, as long as it doesnt look too silly/cause any problems (such as being unable to get enemy models physically close enough to make B2B etc).

hope that helps :)

~ Tim
p.s. i dont have a Defiler myself, but i have heard that a Large Blast Marker looks OK (obviously depending on pose). i dont think there is a huge advantage to be gained with a smaller base.
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby KInG » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:20 pm

We use 5" blast template, or a CD. Works fine. I think 7" blast would be too big.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby fyrebyrd » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:20 pm

KInG wrote:We use 5" blast template, or a CD. Works fine. I think 7" blast would be too big.
I guess it depends purely on the pose. I measured one of my buddy's defilers and it would have had the arms still sticking out if its base was 7", if it were on a 5" base the four feet would have been not touching at all. (way too wide of a stance)

Here's a new idea. I was thinking of a "stand in" base for those who prefer to not have a based defiler. The idea is that the base would be used for anything imperative to the base, but the model would still be there above(yet not attached) the "stand in" base. Everyone's thoughts on this idea, am I missing a real obvious problem that might make this not a viable option?
Last edited by fyrebyrd on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FyreByrd
Ab40k Beta Tester
www.ab40k.org
fyrebyrd
The Unforgiven Angel
Initiate

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:41 pm

fyrebyrd wrote:Here's a new idea. I was thinking of a "stand in" base for those who prefer to not have a based defiler. The idea is that the base would be used for anything imperative to the base, but the model would still be there above(yet not attached) the "stand in" base. Everyone's thoughts on this idea, am I missing a real obvious problem that might make this not a viable option?

so for example, when everyone turns up for the event you supply them with a temporary base (paper/platicard circle, AoL CD etc) to slot under their Defiler for the duration of game, the diameter of which depending on the size and pose of the model?

yeah, that sounds fine. :)

they really should keep the base under the model the whole time (its needed for LOS arcs and measurements, as well as hitting them with Blasts etc, plus moving through gaps between terrain and other models), and they shouldnt be allowed to shift the model about on the base, either.

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby fyrebyrd » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:59 pm

I wonder if I could find a method to attach the temporary bases with either clay or a no stick putty(any ideas that might work?). The two different sizes will probably be 5 and 7 inches. I'm going to make them out of basic poster board to keep cost down (I might want a solution to this problem but I'm not gonna fabricate the bases for them).
LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:you could:
- ask your players how big they want the minimum size to be
- impose an arbitrary minimum size
- demand that no part of any individual Defiler model (barring guns/spikes) extends over the edge of its base (allowing base sizes to vary depending on the pose etc)

I'm thinking that I'm gonna use these in some way, shape or form. Thanks Tim!
Last edited by fyrebyrd on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FyreByrd
Ab40k Beta Tester
www.ab40k.org
fyrebyrd
The Unforgiven Angel
Initiate

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:30 pm

fyrebyrd wrote:I wonder if I could find a method to attach the temporary bases with either clay or a no stick putty(any ideas that might work?). The two different sizes will probably be 5 and 7 inches

i dont think people would appreciate painted models being stuck in blu-tac or similar, just incase the paint comes off (of course, if they are unpainted anyway, or heavily varnished, then i dont think that would be an issue). maybe just take a pencil and mark he points on the base where the claws touch? or mark the centre point and have the centre of the Defiler body kept over it?

~ Tim
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby fyrebyrd » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:51 am

Tim,
You are full of useful information, it certainly will help!! :)
FyreByrd
Ab40k Beta Tester
www.ab40k.org
fyrebyrd
The Unforgiven Angel
Initiate

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links