Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

High Elves 1500pts

For posting army lists, battle reports, and discussing tactics

Re: High Elves 1500pts

Postby samuelgrimwade » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking at giving the prince the armour of caledor and also vambraces of defence, for a 2+ save (that's rerollable) and a 4+ ward save to help him survive longer, I'd still keep him with a great weapon.

I have proxied some eagles before and they did well - I may look at cutting up some of the griffons ive got from IOB - really dont want to spend what GW is asking for a bloody eagle!

With the seaguard and concern over war machines, I'm looking to initially deploy them 10 wide in 3 ranks to help reduce the damage a stone thrower might do - will look at giving them the item for a ward save against warmachines, however the guys I regulary play against dont have war machines with templates in 1500pt games - so I'm not too concerned - plus I'd use the reavers to cut up some warmachine crew.

So my list at the moment with not many points left to spend - will keep an eye on the reavers and think about swapping some out for eagles or combining into one unit.

mage (level 2) - Silverwand - predominantly using high magic - but I've to play around with some different lores as I go.

prince - great weapon, armour of caledor, vambraces of defense - only thing that concerns me about this guy is he is 240 odd points - is he ever going to make that back in a game?!?

I fancy that with so few units for the core of my line that my mage doesn't need tons of spells - hence only the level 2 - plus I play against chaos a lot and I fancy my chances with the prince in a challenge - these two might swap around to archmage / noble depending upon how the next few games go.

29 seaguard - full command - shields - standard of discipline.

12 swordmasters - champ
12 swordmasters - champ

5 reavers - champ
5 reavers - champ

Tiranoc Chariot

if my numbers are right comes to 1497 (hopefully)

I'll lok to either swap the prince / mage for a noble / archmage over the next few games depending on how it goes (the prince being in my seaguard unit gives him ld 11 that can pass on using inspiring presence!)

the mage is there to buff stuff up a lot

reavers for hunting and also for something fun to use in the movement phase - as the seaguard and swordmasters will be waiting for the charge a lot

chariot for threatening to crash into the side of anything that gets to close - giving the opponent some choices to make - combined with the reavers harassing units / war machines will hopefully make the opponent take some decisions - idea being that eventually he will make a wrong one and I can capitalize.

Thanks for everyones thoughts - I've got a game tomorrow against chaos so I'll report back and let people know how it went - lore of metal ma be getting tested out!
samuelgrimwade

Postby Baragash » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:28 pm

BANE wrote:2nd suggestion is look at the size of your reaver unit, i suggest 1 unit of 10-13 models is better as you can then flank an enemy unit and hit it in the side when its charged one of your units, this cancels steadfast and makes the enemy more likely to run.

This isn't true btw, page 55, first paragraph (unless I've missed an FAQ?).

BANE wrote:Finally I wouldnt consider the BSB at this level, he is a must for all armies in large games and most at this level too, however high LD and you are taking High for courage and you are covered here.

I wouldn't say a BS is a must below 2000pts for HE (despite Korhil failing a LD9 Stubborn roll on Wednesday :roll: ), but a BS with Guardian Phoenix, Great Weapon and Armour of Caledor is a good investment.

RE: Reaver Knights - as Fast Cavalry they can Vanguard, so really they shouldn't take 3 turns to get to war machines if you use terrain placement to force the enemy war machines not to deploy behind the centre of their army. That being said, it should be a compulsory public flogging not to take at least 3 Eagles in any HE list (no reason you can't use both though :wink: )

Oh, and Bolt Throwers are a waste of time. Cost way, way too much. Rolling to hit, then usually needing a 4+ to wound versus anything worth taking out is fail. If it needs hitting then White Lions, Swordmasters and Dragon Princes, possibly with a character supporting them, are your tools for the job.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby markb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Best of luck, mate. I really hate Chaos, especially that Rune of Negating Magic Weapons (don't know the proper name for it). It is so annoying, my 290 pt Dwarf Lord has been on the recieving end of it and for thirty points it cancelled out his S5, Always Strike First, +1 to hit rune hammer and he got butchered!

Baragash, You can't give a BS anything other than a magic standard, a mount and armour unless I've missed something in the HE dex so you couldn't give him a great weapon and Guardian Phoenix
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby Ogregut » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:21 pm

You can give a BSB any magic item he can normally take but if he takes a magic standard he can't take any other item.
Yes I study Psychology, no I can't read your mind.........yet!

Devlin mud, painting armies since 2008!
Ogregut
Exarch
Exarch

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Baragash » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Ogregut wrote:You can give a BSB any magic item he can normally take but if he takes a magic standard he can't take any other item.

^This.

He can choose either:
Select magic items as a normal noble
or
take a magic banner

Unless you want to pack Banner of the World Dragon, IMO it's normal magic items every time.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby markb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:29 pm

My bad, misread it. Don't have access to my books out here
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby BANE » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Sammi, your right, why have I been playing it like that?

Off to check the faqs incase I seen something there!
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby BANE » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Ah I said steadfast bit meant str in numbers
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby samuelgrimwade » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:21 am

Hi All, game went well against the Chaos - I marginally lost, but was pleased with the overall performacne of the army.

We spent most of the game manouvering around each other rather than getting into the fight - in the end I got impatient of the standoff and charged in recklessly and lost m prince and a unit of swordmasters to a unit of chaos warriors and his hero!

I'm going to keep testing with the army, thinking of changing out the prince and either adding more foot troops (eventually i want two units of 30 sea guard) and having 2 level 1 mages running lore of beats for the signature spell - +1 S & T will make my seaguard more effective in shooting and harder to kills (yes please).

Chariot didn't get to do much, might drop it for the points to spend elsewhere.

Reavers id well, got behind his entire army, shot up a few marauders and stopped his whole army charging one turn (kinda because he forgot to declare any, but he was only re-considering declaring them because his marauder unit failed it march blocking LD test) - the reavers were generally ignored most of the game and probably killed 10 marauders - not great (only like 60-80 points) but usefull - I'm going to play them as a unit of 10 next game (this could be me fazzing them out as if they don't perform well at 10 then i think I'll switch out for silverhelms).

Mage did well, caused some problems and dispelled good for me, going to look at pointing for 2 level 2 mages for the next game as my only characters.

Cheers for all your help / advice guys.

Sam
samuelgrimwade

Previous

Return to WFB Tactica

Social Links