Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

ConfusedGordy and Grey Knights

Discussion of anything 40K related

ConfusedGordy and Grey Knights

Postby Confused_gordy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Well guys, just back from the independant GT, had a blast, went 4-0-2.

Lost twice against DE, using Deathwing (Just took too many saves).

But after that, me and Gaz Jones had a quick game to play test a GK army I plan On making:

Draigo (spelling may be wrong)
1 x 7 pallies - 2 psycannons, banner, apothecary, 1 master craft (they all have some form of unique equip)
3 x 5 pallies - 2 psycannons (they all have unique equip)

total = 1750

He had a DE army with:
1 cheap HQ
3 true born units with 3 blasters
6 small units with a blaster
3 dark lance ravagers
and 9 venoms with twin splinter cannons
(thats a bucket of fire)

When I played him with my Deathwing I lost pretty much everything on turn 1.

Using this list, I deployed drago and the large squad, and stared the game miles away from his army (his choice). turn 2, my three 5 man units deep struck near his death ball (thanks to the reserves helping psy power), and downed two ravagers and injured the third. In reply he killed 4 termies.

5 turns later, and after a long slog, dragos unit got back in range (where they discovered 2 paladins of the original 15 still alive, and about 25% of the DE left on the table.

Lessons learned:
Psycannons are AMAZING!!!!
Pallies NEVER DIE.

Just to test we also spent two turns shooting at draigos unit, not a single pally fell.

Ive also spent the last hour or so making my new drago model, and as soon as the images Ive emailed myself arrive, ill post some picks.
Confused_gordy
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Re: ConfusedGordy and Grey Knights

Postby Confused_gordy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:43 pm

The Grand Master!

IMG_0238.JPG
Confused_gordy
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Spack » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Nice model - is that a Scibor cast?
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Confused_gordy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 pm

most of it yes
Confused_gordy
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Cain Tiberius » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 am

Really cool lookin figure bud. Like the shoulder pads. I remember you saying you didn't want to just do what everyone else does. This is a nice compromise. Lookin forward to seeing some paint.

Than.
My BA Blog

Semper Fidelis
Cain Tiberius
Enforcer
Enforcer

Medals: 12
Gold (2) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (8)
Blog: View Blog (36)

Postby Confused_gordy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 am

Paint shall be had

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG
Confused_gordy
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 am

What was the deathwing list you ended up taking, flesh out how you did, appears king is averse to writing, although it could just be that he sucked terribly.
Gosh thats pretty paint.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ljundhammer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:17 am

Sexy!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby KInG » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 am

lol I can write but theres not alot to tell I just didn't have my head in the game at all over the whole weekend. Top that off with playing everything but my IG during the lead up to the contest, might have also had an impact.

Nevermind. It was a great weekend and I enjoyed mit alot. Will be back for the next one too.

Gordy, surely his Dark Lances and blasters whould have inti killed pallies easily?
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Confused_gordy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 am

They do, but, 4 wounds from splinter fire, and 2 wounds from blasters = 1 guy taking an inv save against two insta death wounds in the 5 man squads.

In the first turn he shot me, this resulted in 4 dead pallies, but the 5 psycannons (and storm bolters) of retribution removed pretty much all blaster threat.

when they were gone, dragos squad started taking heat from the remaining ravager, but drago just catches wounds for that.

Ill write up a rough weekend summary in another thread (as i want to keep this one to my GK stuff).
Confused_gordy
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Cain Tiberius » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Dang... You painted that fast 8O
My BA Blog

Semper Fidelis
Cain Tiberius
Enforcer
Enforcer

Medals: 12
Gold (2) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (8)
Blog: View Blog (36)

Postby KInG » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 am

Looking good too Gordy.

So how do u think they would do against 9 TL lassies from vendettas? Not to mention 9 plasmaguns. 3 meltas, two MM and another lassie, and that's just the AP1&2 stuff. ;)
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Confused_gordy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:41 pm

That is a lot of fire power, it averages 9.37 dead pallies, however it also assumes it's all in range, and rapid firing. After turn 1 it is likely at least 1 plasma gunner will be dead (which will reduce incoming damage). However with deep strike (assuming nice arrivals using the psy power to help), I'll have 3 targetable threats before you get to return fire putting out 8 st 7 rending shots each. Which is definitely enough to silence at least the vendettas (averaging a damage role on each)

Also your infantry mounted special weapons fire with lasguns, so when you wound the 5 man squads it's likely I'll be able to stack some of those insta death/ap 2 shots.

Im not saying it will stand up completely to that fire power, but each turn I'm still around yours is significantly reduced. And the important thing with elite armies is, it's a lot easier for me to concentrate my force in one place, making being in range harder for all of your weaponry (especially the infantry mounted special weapons)

Would be a good match either way I think. One we should try some time.

Heck it might even be a good idea for me to just deploy on the board if I get an ok grand strategy role, and use scouts to get into those optimum spots/avoid turn 1 melta.
Confused_gordy
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm almost anxious to bring out a BA AV13 spam 3 vindie list against this :D This might be the excuse to finish the baals.. if only they weren't all packed for the move..sniffle.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Confused_gordy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:28 pm

yeah vindicators are a very scary prospect to it (as I have to be within 24 to stop them, and we can both move 6 and fire, making a cat and mouse game).

Since the initial post Ive been thinking about refining the pure pally list, and dropping it down to 2 10 man squads seems best making the list:

Draigo.
Palladins - 10x - 4 psy cannons, apothecary, brotherhood banner, 2 master crafts.
Palladins - 10x - 4 psy cannons, apothecary, brotherhood banner, 1 master craft.

1750 on the dot.

The reasoning for the simplification is:
1/3 of your missions is annihilation, in which, you can only ever give away 2 kill points or, be wiped.
1/3 of your missions involve 2 objectives, in which your choices on distribution of attack and defensive elements become simplified to halves, or combat squads, if you want to be fancy.
10 man squads have more ablative wounds for psycannons.
10 man squads benefit more from apothecaries.
10 man squads benefit more from brotherhood banners.
10 man squads are much better in close combat, as more models will be involved with halberds, making the squad more survivable before the enemy attacks, swords will also be concentrated, allowing for invulnerable saves to be more easily distributed.
Draigos ability to catch insta death hits and ap2 hits, is improved, if the enemy have less options, as to which enemy unit to shoot.
When deep striking you cant arrive in dribs and drabs, as, when ever something does arrive, its half you army!!
in games where you may face too many small squads, you can combat squad, and still be highly effective.
in games where you may face lash, you can combat squad to reduce its effect.
grand strategy also is improved, as it will on average buff you entire army!

In 2k games a librarian can be added, as his squad buffing powers greatly enhance powerful units, and his summoning, and stealth powers in particular would be very helpful to this kind of army.

One thing I'm not sure on is how combat squads and deep striking works (do you declare in deployment, do you decide when the squad arrives, I dont know). If anyone who regularly combats squads could let me know id be greatfull.
Confused_gordy
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Next

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links