Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Stu's Red Scorpions / Thunderhawk build

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Re: Stu's Red Scorpions / Thunderhawk build

Postby _stu_ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:47 pm

Minor photographic update as I was faffing with the new phone and had this model to hand.... made quite a bit of progress on the terminator chaplain, master of the chapter, scout squad and classic pose captain (bolter and power fist), so will get pics of them up tomorrow :)

also fancied a change from the pale blue Ive been doing so did a test marine for lis's space marines (pic to follow) and started on my Terminator armoured librarian (termi-heavy theme of the army continues)

IMAG0001.jpg

not the best light, but gives an idea of where Im going with the scheme. The yellow cloth theme is a continuation from the rest of the army, and ties them together quite well...
Facebook @ Lividfish Paints
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Medals: 16
Anvil's Hammer - 2nd Place (1) Gold Wreath (1) Gold (3) Silver (4) Painting Entrant (7)

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:16 am

I like the shade of blue and it works well with the yellow.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby _stu_ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks for that Matt, its a base of enchanted blue with several feathered layers of asurman blue ink deepening the color, with a highlight of hawk turquoise, again with a few glazes of asurman blue. I think with this model Im going to try some point source lighting once I've got the base model finished. (I really like the mini so I'm pushing the boat out and trying something new)

ImageImage

There've been a few updates to what Im working on at the mo... First up is our master of the chapter......

ImageImageImage

Followed by a Terminator Chaplain....

ImageImageImage

A classic Space Marine Captain. I painted one of these years ago as a Dark Angel and it was my first foray into wet blending / layering and really liked the model. Had to have one as part of my 1st Company

ImageImage

And a squad of Scout Snipers

ImageImage

Which really brings me up to date on my stuff (kinda). The desk currently looks like this....

ImageImageImage

Work in progress includes:

2 Tactical Squads
2 Assault Squads
Devastator Squad
AoBR Dreadnought
4 Terminator Squads
2 Land Raiders

(I like to mix up working on Rank+File and Character - it keeps things interesting)

And a couple of Characters for Lis, including the Lugft Huron we plan on using as her SM Commander (Purple & White Scheme most likely). So far we have a Jump Sergeant / Captain, and Classic Chaplain with Jump Pack

ImageImageImageImage

Here endeth the update.... I think.....

Stu
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Anvil's Hammer - 2nd Place (1) Gold Wreath (1) Gold (3) Silver (4) Painting Entrant (7)

Postby _stu_ » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Worked a bit more on the detail of the Librarian last night, along with Lugfts head

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

Must get this airbrush setup so I can basecoat the rank and file - it's the one job that's holding me back from rattling through them :/
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Herne » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Looking great - this is the stage of painting I love - when you can see how it will look fiished, and the work is all about the 'polish.' Looks great.
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Postby _stu_ » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks Herne ;)

Spent some more time on the Libby, and personally I think its one of my best models to date (and one that I've really enjoyed painting). He's off to one side now along with the few others I was working on at the same time and Ive moved on to the forgeworld huron (being painted up as a centrepiece for Lis's marines) and my rank and file.

Thank the emprah himself for the new airbrush. I managed to undercoat and basecoat 45 marines in under an hour this afternoon (promise not to tell my mum but i did it in the dining room - was too cold to go outside!)

Also did a test scheme for Lis's Sisters so hopefully she'll be able to start making some progress on her project :) (*prod*)

Will post up some proper pics tomorrow

Stu
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Postby _stu_ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Couple of pics of Lis's SoB Scheme. Standard Battle Sister and Seraphim.

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

Both really looking forward to the new models coming out :)

Stu
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Yes me too
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby _stu_ » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Finally set the airbrush up and had a go at basecoating / 1st washing the rank and file of the army. Life is a LOT easier this way - about an hour to basecoat and wash around 50 marines, which meant I could then move on to highlighting and detailing by hand. I've set a little production line up that looks something like this.....

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

In amongst the madness are the remaining 4 vanguard vets for lis (cunningly made from spare parts), allowing her to field a 5 man squad rather than just the jump captain I posted earlier - a much better use of parts. I quite enjoyed putting them together, especially the one who's become known as "logan" :)

Hope to get these guys finished up bar basing in the next few days. then maybe think about a photo shoot with the light kit :)

Stu
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Postby _stu_ » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Minor update without pics unfortunately. Just found the perfect temporary base for both the Thunderhawk and 1st drop pod. Almost by accident I ripped the top (and susequently cut the bottom off more delicately with a knife) off of an empty 2l coke bottle.

Whilst not the prettiest base, it will do until I can find the appropriate replacement :)

On a side note, my battlemat turned up and I've got a hankering to build some scenery. I can see a game moving ever closer :)

Stu
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Postby _stu_ » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 am

Fairly substantial update, although decent pics will follow tomorrow. I feel like I've made real progress over the last week or so (even with the sacrifice to khorne on friday night. blood - lots of blood).

The production line I took on was maybe a bit ambitious, but to see around 60 marines slowly coming together on the painting table is a real incentive to push on (knowing full well it will be a while before you have to highlite 50+ white helmets in a batch!). Thankfully I've been able to intersperse some character / scratch building work to keep things interesting. Alongside my Company HQ units I've got some test models for Lis's marines / SoBs worked up, 2 AoBR Dreadnoughts completed and based (yet to varnish - thats another bulk job for the airbrush i think), 2 ebayed Land Raiders just about salvaged and ready to prime (one has a helios conversion pack that I've scratch built from plasticard, although I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with it).

IMAG0064.jpg
Character / HQ Models
IMAG0065.jpg
Rank & File Troops

I've also sketched out some rudimentary plans for a gaming table that will allow for 6*4 and 8*6 configurations for open table and modular city-style layouts and I think I've decided on a dark/mid grey rubble style basing scheme for the army (maybe with a beige base edge to tie in with the desert setup on the table).

The latest version of my excel army tracker looks something like this:

Model / Unit Status

Thunderhawk 7 - Table Top + needs basing
Drop Pod 2 - Scratch Building
Commander Culln 9 - Needs Varnishing
Master of the Chapter 8 - Base needs painting
Captain (PA) 8 - Base needs painting
Captain (PA) with JP 8 - Base needs painting
Captain (PA) 4 - Undercoated
Captain (PA) 8 - Base needs painting
Chaplain with JP 8 - Base needs painting
Chaplain (TA) 8 - Base needs painting
Librarian (TA) 8 - Base needs painting
5 Man Assault Term TH/SS 6 - Detailing In Progress
5 Man Assault Term LC/LC 6 - Detailing In Progress
5 Man Term Sq 6 - Detailing In Progress
5 Man Term Sq 6 - Detailing In Progress
Dreadnought 9 - Needs Varnishing
Dreadnought 9 - Needs Varnishing
10 Man Tact Sq 6 - Detailing In Progress
10 Man Tact Sq 6 - Detailing In Progress
10 Man Tact Sq 1 - Ordered
5 Man Scout(sn) Sq 6 - Detailing In Progress
10 Man Asst Sq 6 - Detailing In Progress
10 Man Asst Sq 6 - Detailing In Progress
Land Raider 2 - Scratch Building
Land Raider 2 - Scratch Building
5 Man Dev Sq 6 - Detailing In Progress
5 Man Dev Sq 1 - Ordered

I've also started looking into naming the relevant units / vehicles as I like the idea of putting some background fluff together for the army as a whole. The theme of collective deployment of the 1st company still stands (hence the white helmets all round).

phew - long post...

Stu
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 am

You sure are ploughing on.. Keep it up. :D
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby _stu_ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:47 pm

killmaimburn wrote:You sure are ploughing on.. Keep it up. :D

Im Trying to - honest. Got quite a bit going on in RL at the mo, which is conversely giving me loads of painting time one day, and none the next. Nevertheless I am working through things. Although a trip to IKEA has lead to me moving away from the production line method Ive been using.

Ladies and GentleFriends, I present to you - the production ring / plate / circle / never ending loop!

IMAG0106.jpg
Never Ending Ring of Paint!

Stu
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Postby mattjgilbert » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:58 am

So...

Dip paint brush in paint
Hold close to models
Spin the plate?

:D

Quite a few models there... they will look good when all finished.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 am

A Lazy susanne and some amphetamines?

Apologies to all who were horrified by my glib remark, naturally I would never suggest spinning a table full of models ;)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs

Social Links