Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Mobile devices

Please post help requests in the Helpdesk forum. This forum is to be used for discussing the site, and events/projects.

Mobile devices

Postby Spack » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm trialling a custom style for a mobile version of the site - anyone using an iPhone/iPad, Android Phone, or Windows Mobile phone should see a stripped down version of the site. Only the forums are listed at present, but I'll at options to add in other parts of the site too. If you spot any bugs (and I've already got a list as long as my arm for IE6 on Windows Mobile 6, grrr!) let me know.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: Mobile devices

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Will the difference show up in the opera for mobiles browser for symbian? (still can't afford a nice HTC yet)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby jlong05 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:33 pm

I can test from an iphone4 for you.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Spack » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:42 pm

it should work for any mobile device if the user agent string matches the check. it's working on windows mobile 6 on my work phone and I tested it on an htc earlier. i'll look at adding an option to turn it on for devices that don't get handled automatically, and a user option to disable the switching.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Socaddict » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Awww, I hate mobile versions of websites - there's a reason I went with a 4.3" screen!
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Spack » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Heh. I'll turn it off, but add an option to enable it voluntarily. The site is completely unusable on Windows Mobile 6 which is why I was looking at possible alternatives.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Socaddict » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm sure its usable, I just prefer desktop version. See http://xkcd.com/869/ for details.
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Confused_gordy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 pm

running it on iPhone, much prefer sight as was.

Smart phones these days are designed to make viewing regular web pages a doddle. Stripping the site down seems a bit counter intuitive. As long as it doesn't contain a mountain of flash.
Confused_gordy
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Spack » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 pm

I guess I was mistaken in thinking that this would be useful. I wonder how many users have older "smart phones" like mine that are pretty much useless when using the site as it is ... I may revisit this later as a user selectable option if there's enough interest.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby mattjgilbert » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Using WP7 here. Normal site looks fine for me so mobile version not really going to add anything I don't think (from my pov).
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Stunty » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:44 am

i only had a quick look last night but i thought it looked perfect and was looking forward to using it today
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby Baragash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 am

I'm in favour of the stripped down tbh, means I don't have to fiddle about with zooming in or trying to avoid hitting links accidently whilst browsing a page.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby Spack » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:52 am

I'm going to enable this as a selectable option, if only for me, Baragash, and Stunty to use :)

Only if the site detects a mobile browser and the "Enable Mobile Style" option is enabled in the user control panel on the Profile tab will it show the mobile version, so by default nobody should see a difference.

And just in case someone enables the mobile style and then uses a mobile device to read the site and decides they don't want that style used, there's a "disable mobile style" link in the footer of the style that will turn it off.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Spack wrote:I guess I was mistaken in thinking that this would be useful. I wonder how many users have older "smart phones" like mine that are pretty much useless when using the site as it is .

Well nokia in trying to catch up bought over a guy from windows mobile, who then rather lacking in subtlety said that to catch up all nokia's were switiching from symbian (which I do now hate and have since 2nd ver).. to a win mobile platform...
So the unwashed masses who can't shell out for the man bags and leather phone holders of apple will soon be glutting your demographic again methinks.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Spack » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:26 pm

Nah, Windows Phone 7 and up on a phone with a decent sized screen will have little trouble with the site as is.

The problem I have is that it's IE6 (which doesn't render the default phpBB style properly let alone the AoS one) on a small screen so the AoS site layout is basically unreadable. Added to that a distinct lack of memory and trying to read a forum post on the move pretty much kills the phone.

The style seems to be working as an "opt-in" option now, although WM6/IE6 still has a little trouble rending it as it's a "proper" xHTML layout without any browser specific tweaks, using a lot of CSS stuff that IE6 doesn't support, but at least it's a lot more usable than it was before. At least I'll be able to read posts when stuck on a train in the future :)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Next

Return to The Site

Social Links