Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

A model That I have been working on... thoughts please!!

Discussion of anything 40K related

A model That I have been working on... thoughts please!!

Postby Galador » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:33 am

Ok, so the put together but unprimed version of this model is in my gallery here, and these images will make it there shortly after this, but just wanted to post this up, cause for my first real stab at doing a conversion/showpiece type of work (not to showcase, just something for someone to llok at and go, "Wow!! Thats cool!!") I really thought that my Syren here turned out well. But of course, you always think your first effort is good, even if others don't, so I want someone else's opinions on it! So please, enjoy looking at my attempts, laugh if you wish (I never said I was good! :lol: :lol: ), but please, post some comments and suggestions to help me get better, or to tell me what I did good! Thank you!

Oh, and I don't think you can see it really well in my pics, but I got some good blood spatter on the Syren, thought that so far has been the best part of the half done paint job!!

Galador

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: A model That I have been working on... thoughts please!!

Postby Cain Tiberius » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:09 am

I like it. The pose is perfecct, it doesn't look awkward at all, which is good because that isn't easy to do. Even more impressive as I hadn't realised it was your first conversion till you said, and I would imagin others would say the same.
I do have two minor things I would say though. You need a lil more highlighting and/or shading on the red/brown armour. And the base looks a little bare (aside from the dead marine of course).
But on the whole, great job and keep them coming :)

Nathanael
My BA Blog

Semper Fidelis
Cain Tiberius
Enforcer
Enforcer

Medals: 12
Gold (2) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (8)
Blog: View Blog (36)

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:37 am

I think its great, I rarely get to see dynamic DE models,(odd I know).
Holding you to a higher standard than I hold myself pushed to C+C ...I'd suggest that the blue dude, at this state in his life,would not have his bolt pistol raised , but would have collapsed to hang on the base. (but thats a pain in the butt for modelling..if you desire a cheap simple fix, hack it off ,add blood, and glue it to the base somewhere)
=)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:31 am

Good point on the bolt pistol, I'd not spotted that. And I agree with Cain that the base needs work. Other than that it's a pretty amazing first attempt as it really tells a story and looks pretty convincing.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Galador » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:50 am

Sorry about that, guys, I forgot to mention that its not finished, she's just at the halfway point for now. I haven't washed or based it yet, haven't gotten into the really small details, and still needs to be varnished for protection. Should have mentioned that but wasn't paying attention to what I typed I guess!

@killmaimburn
I understand what you are saying about the pistol, and I agree to an extent, but if you notice, the chainsword arm is a bit off the ground also, as I am going for a "just cut his head off 2 seconds ago" look, so that his arms are in the middle of coming down to rest. What I may do is put a pebble or a rock underneath, so it seems like his arm came to rest on a rock or something, to explain the raised a bit easier, let me know what you think of that.

@Cain Tiberius
Thanks for the comments! The armor is Scab Red, and hasn't been highlighted yet, just wanted to show off and see if there was anything major that needed to be changed before I started finalizing, and also cause I put a good amount of work into the bloody rags between her feet, oh sorry, I meant into the Space Marine!!! :lol: But seriously, I hit the bloody sections like 3 times with watered down Elf Flesh, then went over it about 4 or 5 times with a majorly watered down Red Gore until I had just the look I wanted. Unfortunately (mostly because I am horrible at taking pics of my models :oops: ), you can't see the blood splatter all over her face and arms, but it looks really good, and if it works out the way I'm hoping, it will mix really well with the polyurethane Varnish that I use for my skin tones, and will look like she is all sweaty and bloody and should bring a nice overall effect to the piece!!
Galador

Postby timewizard » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:36 pm

I like it alot, the pose it what really makes the conversion come together.
The pics are a bit blurry though, makes it hard to pick out all the detail you put such hard work into.
Looking forward to seeing it finished.
BTW, I think putting a rock under the raised arm would make it look a little better, you could do a bit of a mock-up before you glue it down.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Stunty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Lookin good :) theres plenty of movement in there which is what makes it for me. Its a shame about the camera work you seem to have similar skills as me there lol. As for the bolt pistol i think i'd razor saw the hand off and turn it so its palm facing up and then add a rock underneath.
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby Galador » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Stunty wrote:Lookin good :) theres plenty of movement in there which is what makes it for me. Its a shame about the camera work you seem to have similar skills as me there lol. As for the bolt pistol i think i'd razor saw the hand off and turn it so its palm facing up and then add a rock underneath.

either that or I may just do the heat and bend trick a bit more on the arm, one or the other.
Galador

Postby Galador » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Ok, used the wife's camera (after she showed me how to use the macro on it!! :lol: :lol: ) so here are some better pictures!!! In these you can see the blood spatter on the Syren, which I think came out really well!!

Galador

Postby Galador » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:07 am

And she is finished!! Sorry about the shine, didn't set the lights just right I guess, but at least they are clear pictures! Hope everyone likes it and please let me know what you think!

Galador

Postby ruffian4 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:19 am

I like it lots!
Not too troubled by the bolt pistol, really.
The poor plonker might still be shooting.

How fast is a chicken with no head?
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Galador » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:50 am

ruffian4 wrote:I like it lots!
Not too troubled by the bolt pistol, really.
The poor plonker might still be shooting.

How fast is a chicken with no head?

If you look at the side pictures you will see that the arm with the pistol is held up by a rock now, so it looks like it came to rest there. If the power armour were to suddenly lose power, who knows if it goes completely slack or if it just stops at the last position it was in??? Also, the rock is below the elbow joint, so it would prop the hand up anyway. I had already painted it and didn't wanna hack it apart again, so went with the rock to make it a bit more realistic, if you get my idea. :lol:
Galador

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links