Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

New Game

Discussion of anything 40K related

New Game

Postby niteterror » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:08 am

Hi all ive bin trying various games lately and bin enjoying my self however,me and about 2 friends are kinda interrested in a board game/RPG.We wernt sure sure where to start so i thought if any one new any decent starting games,we are after a game were theres 1 game master and the rest of us our own desiged charactor teams.
A few games ive heard of is stuff like sla industrie but really wasnt sure about that doe any have any ideas?
niteterror
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Re: New Game

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:31 am

RPGs flow in a very free fashion, which can be very tricky..They seem to be mutually exclusive game systems with different pros and cons do you gurps ,D&D, fantasy flight games.
Once you've chosen and learnt them you kind of stick with one..little RPGs come out just saying "and this follows system X which you all of course know".
You probably want to go to a Friendly Local Gaming Store and find out where a local public ongoing game is going on. I think Nottinghams main one is still the vampire one on thursday night.(saves you having to buy 4 main books and read eveything up front..find a mentor who can show you whats relevent as it comes up etc)
Coincidentally I've been spending my wednesdays playing with a group who never play the same game twice (they spend a lot).. for the first time in 12 years I'll be fully RPGing this wednesday with a game that sounds right up your street, you don't choose a character ..your actions dictate how you level (like dungeon siege..you use the bow a lot you become a ranger, you constantly sit in shadows and try for stealthy criticals assassin/theif etc) which makes it a lot easier to not worry to much about playing to character /fluff.. and the whole thing is one big read out by the GM (so noone has to take too much responsibility..often the giant pain that wears out GMs)
I'll tell you how it goes on thursday.
(To evaluate D&D play baldurs gate 2..just because its an awesome PC game)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ruffian4 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 pm

What do you have in mind???

Fantasy = swords and sorcery.
Sci-fi = lasers and starships.
Horror survival = scratching around for weapons and running away.
Intrigue and investigation/detective/mystery solving?

Mixture?
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby niteterror » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:19 pm

hm ruffian i like the ideas but the sci-fi thing was the one i was most iteresseted in,followed by fantasy never even thought of horror
niteterror
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby ruffian4 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Ok then, what is your favourite sci-fi film/series???

Is it clean, "high" stuff like star wars/star trek, or perhaps dirty "low" like alien or the thing???
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 am

Good call on horror genre juby..Narrative just seems to flow *with* baser instincts, whereas sci fi clean always leads to Orion slave girls and plot crash :D.
There are thaaasands of em!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ro ... tion_genre
I've gone around collectings a few small ones like 'little fears' and the 'red dwarf' one.. but I haven't actually got round to playing any full cycles of anything since I was around 12. The fluff (for 40k universe) in the rogue trader and dark heresy books are lush.. but V expensive to just dip your toe in.
About the only thing I know..is the internet tells me warhammer fantasy peaked at 2nd ed, and that 3rd ed was a rush job to re-licence it under its new owner..and that some massive fight exists between 3.5 and 4th ed D&D..which to nooby me appears to only centre on how long a mage can cast for before he needs a rest.(although its probably something to do with dumbing down the game or something).

Pen and paper, or dressing up and chasing each other through woods dressed as nuns?(LARPing)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby ruffian4 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 am

A horror element could come in any setting, the thing and alien were sci-fi horror, afterall.

The thing was sci-fi just because there are aliens, but we have no advanced tech.
Alien was the same but with a starship as the only truly advanced tech, but that was pretty much useless except as a bomb.

I'm only about halfway through the 40k roleplay stuff, system wise it seems like whfrp (I only know 1st ed).
That was a bit odd, as I reckon they had a breif to link it with the wargame, then, when that d6 system fouled up and couldn't cope, there came a weird fudge in the combat rules that still has me scratching my head.

My personal fave game has always been cthulhu.
Very simple rules, excellent fluff, very scary if you want it to be, or quite "indiana Jones" should you so desire.

Detective work + problem solving + needing a plan + you simply cannot beat up the bad guys = goody goody gumdrops.
That framework could fit 40k pretty well.

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Jazzer662 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Dungeons and dragons is always a good game to play or even blood bowl, also descent is a good rpg.
Jazzer662

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:31 am

Didn't play it this wednesday instead played 6 player dune
Should be on next week instead :D
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links