Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

My GK flying brick transport.

Want to show off your painted figures? Got a cool conversion? Need some ideas?

My GK flying brick transport.

Postby chromedog » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 am

Been a while since I posted anything - I've been distracted by other life issues.

Anyhoo. Wanted a stormraven for my GK.
GWUK had just shut down access to ROW from UK dealers, and teamed with the pricerise, meant I wasn't going to pay $106 for the actual model.
I didn't like the actual model. It reminded me of a (fashion) model that was all boobs and no butt (gotta have balance in these things).
I wanted something that looked like it was capable of carrying 12 infantry models AND a dread internally (not carrying the dread by a sling). I got a box of choccies for a present, and after consuming them, noticed the plastic box (trapezoidal sides) might make a good basis for a flier. the base of the compartment is 75mm wide and my metal GK dreadnought physically did fit into the box with arms attached.

I also wanted something that looked kinda like a Republic attack shuttle, and kinda like the SST dropship landers.

Here's what I ended up with. The Tempestas Corax (Storm Raven) pattern Assault shuttle. Yes, it's a box with wings. GW describe theirs as a "Flying land raider" but omit that it has less armour. Overall length (tail to lascannon muzzles) is 23cm. Overall wingspan is 24cm and height is 11.5cm
Image Image

I didn't like how the main gun turret on the official model is on top (bad place if it's going to be providing ground support fire) AND also disrupted airflow into that top intake. So I went for a chin mount under the cockpit.
Image Image
Secondary weapons (Heavy bolters) are side of the cockpit mounts and missiles are magnetically attached to the underwing locations.

The aforementioned chocolate box formed the core of the transport compartment (after being clad with 0.5mm plasticard sheet). The rest of the fuselage is 1mm plasticard sheet. Canopy struts, forward hull light panels and landing gear came from a Valkyrie (clubmate donated them).
Tail came from a spare Macragge Aquila shuttle wreck.
Engine intakes came from Robogear (I have about a dozen of them), main engine bodies are electrical conduit cut to size and exhaust nozzles came from a pair of dried up Artline permanent markers.
Wings are 3mm Balsa wood clad with 0.5mm plasticard (edges, too) and panels are 0.25mm plasticard.
Landing thrusters are from the landspeeder. Mounting blocks for rear landing gear and thrusters are LEGO angle bricks (used in the house roof constuction).
Side doors are spare Rhino hatches.
Other hatches are plasticard cut and shaped. The arc described by the forward ramp clears the chin mount by 3mm.
The chin turret uses the baseplate from a razorback turret, with a cut-down pair of lascannons (spare valk ones) backed by another LEGO brick. It can be replaced with any other Razorback turret piece (so other weapons are allowed for).

The Dread is carried internally in the rear half which has its own rear doors and ramp allowing for the dread to exit or embark.

The project took me a day or so to sketch up and make templates for and three days to build.
Cost me around $16 in materials. It serves its purpose.
Last edited by chromedog on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie

and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die
chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Re: My GK flying brick transport.

Postby KInG » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:10 am

well they do say with enough thrust u can make anything fly. i hope so otherwise this baby has had it ;) good effort.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Baragash » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:58 am

Am I the only one that looked at picture two and thought this:
;)

Good job :D
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby Spack » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 am

First thing I thought of was the drop ship from Starship Troopers.
Attachments
53e3vxt60rqsypi1ypbb.jpg
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby chromedog » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:57 am

Yep, Spack, that was my intent. SST, with other influences. Wait until you see the dreadknight. It looks like a Marauder suit from SST3. heh (what? My brother in law got me a collectors edition trilogy box for christmas a couple of years ago. A large plastic toy one was in the box).

Although T2 is also cool in a way (if Thunderbirds was ever cool?).

It is meant to hang in the air in the same way impossibly large yellow bricks don't.
It is kept up by handwavium (and its stand. The Valkyrie stand attachment is magnetised 4x 5mmx5mm round magnets - and the bottom of the transport area has a 60mm flat steel washer glued to it).

chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Talus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 am

chromedog wrote:if Thunderbirds was ever cool?.

HERESY!

i grew up watching thunderbirds

its the coolest thing ever!

also nothing wrong with SST, the first one is funny as hell, second is plain garbage, third was passable

on topic :P

for a scratch build it looks pretty good, planning on building any more?
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby chromedog » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 am

One more.
I have templates because I will need to scratch the main hull next time (I have no idea where the chocolate box came from - I've not seen its like around here).

Two is more than enough.

Besides, I can then call turnabout on one of my clubmates who uses his grey (painted grey) marines as everything from CSM to BA and SW. I will use my SM as BA, and use my two GK ravens as BA ravens (Bloodstrike missiles are S8, Mindstrike are S4 with auto-perils for psykers - but otherwise they are the same (I have enough variety in my SM army that I can play them as BT, DA, BA or plain vanilla.

I also watched thunderbirds as a kid. However, seeing a parody show (The D-Generation) do their pisstake of it (complete with people in the costumes doing the string puppet dance kinda destroyed anything cool about it.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC4frcXimz4

chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Spack » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:29 pm

SST is one of the few films I've seen multiple times at the cinema - went 3 times in the opening week, great film and I think I've watched it 50+ times now :)

The only other ones are:

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - as I'd said yes to 2 groups of friends to go and see it. Fun, but not as good as Excellent Adventure.

Jurassic Park - 1st time I was in the front row on a preview showing, so went to see it again on opening day so I could sit near the back and see the whole film without breaking my neck ;)). Great film.

T3 - saw it with friends, and then went to see it again on a second date with my wife (who obviously wasn't my wife at the time); not a great film.

Attack of the Clones - first time midnight opening night showing, second time a couple of days later because I'd fallen asleep half way through the first showing as I'd been up since 5am that day. Not a bad film, certainly better than Phantom Menace.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:00 am

Model looks sweet CD :D
Spack wrote:T3 - saw it with friends, and then went to see it again on a second date with my wife (who obviously wasn't my wife at the time); not a great film..

Go to see rubbish film about downfall of civilisation by seductive killing machine,
decide its rubbish take lady to see it
..... ....
marry her/profit???

First date with mrs was 'return to forbidden planet' live next date was to my house to watch this crazy thing called "Rocky horror picture show" ..3rd date was to Aladdin,2 more similar things she realised that we kept ending up at places together and not with other people,that we must be "dating" got spooked and dumped my arse. :badgrin
but she's my wife now :twisted:
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby chromedog » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 am

I think our first movie together (my mrs & I) was one of the Matrix movies (#2).
Our next was the Lord of the Rings (I snored through all of them).
We tried King Kong next (get to the F**king monkey alread ... zzzzzz).

Apparently I liked PJs movies a lot more before he took hollywierd's dollars.

Last one we watched on the big screen was Avatar (blue is her favourite colour - she like all of the pretty glowing blue stuff).

She like Rocky Horror, show tunes and musicals. I don't. At least we both like SF. :D
She got to go see "Mama Mia" with friends who wanted to see it. I dropped her off and picked her up afterwards.
She's seen Return to Forbidden planet though - with her ex - who went gay. lol.

Here's my Grey Knight Marauder.
Image.
Apart from the box cockpit for the pilot, the only other addition was the two CoD lighting bits as the 'personal teleporter' upgrade. Still have to add the number to it. Not '04' like the model/toy one I have (Rico's number, but his suit didn't have the gatling, but two of the HMG/Heavy flamer combos). Guess I'll have to trot the movie out again. Oh well, the things I have to do.

chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby hunter101 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO IT! Its an Ork Killer Kan naw. :( :( :( :(
disclamer. i cnt spell due to been dislexic or dropt when born. tho the 2nd has never been admitted.
http://waaaghpaint.webs.com/
hunter101
Commander
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby chromedog » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:48 am

So I take it you LIKE the baby carrier?

I don't.

As mentioned, MY NDK is MEANT to look more like a MARAUDER suit than the babycarrier mecha. This is why it doesn't have a sword or hammer. It has guns. It is a gun platform.

IF GW wanted a model more like a LANDMATE, they should have put the operator INSIDE the damn thing.

AS it is, it's more like a MOTOSLAVE except without the armourbabe controlling it.

chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby hunter101 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:41 am

I like the aim at the model being a Marorder. But no I dnt like it from a GK prospective. Build 5 of the things and just love the model as it is. :( Keep at ti tho. Im no good at Scrath building.
disclamer. i cnt spell due to been dislexic or dropt when born. tho the 2nd has never been admitted.
http://waaaghpaint.webs.com/
hunter101
Commander
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby ruffian4 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 am

killmaimburn wrote:but she's my wife now :twisted:

:D
Didn't realise that was a link 'til I quoted it about to say "that makes you sound like a creepy carny!"
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby chromedog » Sun May 06, 2012 1:58 am

Oh noes!

Tragedy struck.

Whilst moving this beast 'twixt house and club, it fell out of ute's tray, onto road at 80kph.

I managed to salvage the engines and wings. The rest - scrap.

Never did get around to making the other one - and have now given up on 40k for a few years (the current arguments 'twixt Necrons and GK means my GK don't get many games because I'd rather not spend more time arguing over a rule than the game is supposed to take playing.

Infinity is my new drug of choice. And Tomorrow's War.

chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Return to Painting & Modelling - General

Social Links