Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Instant Death

Discussion of rules in Warhammer 40K - use for existing rules only, for discussing new rules or changes/alternatives use the Rules Development forum

Moderator: mattjgilbert

Instant Death

Postby Jay » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:01 pm

A bone of contention between me and my regular opponent is the Instant death rule, specifically when it effects characters with multiple wounds. I've looked it up online and read multiple opinions (40k rules are like the bible don't you think?), my understanding, based off the example given is that any weapon, regardless of AP, as long as it is double or more in STR to Toughness, then any failed save means instant death takes place. My friend disagree's and say that only applies to weapons that have an Instant death special rule.

Thoughts?
Please excuse my chaotic spelling and grammar, I am Dyslexic, to my friends that means I am retarded and should always wear my water wings and helmet.

Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast
Jay
Veteran
Veteran

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: Instant Death

Postby ruffian4 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:07 pm

The example given is t4 vs s8, no special rules at all.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Culven » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:36 pm

The Instant Death rule comes into play when S >= 2T. It also applies to any weapon which specifically states that it causes Instant Death. In the former case, it would be impossible to grant the weapon the Instant death rule since it is dependant upon the Toughness of the target of the attack.
Culven
Commander, Catachan XIII "Black Cats"
Pray that a Black Cat never crosses your path.
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby timewizard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Jay wrote: My friend disagree's and say that only applies to weapons that have an Instant death special rule.

Thoughts?

As Culven said, the ID rule is when S >= 2T. Open the rulebook in front of your friend, and read the second sentence under Instant Death, "If a model suffers an unsaved wound from an attack that has a Strength value of double its toughness value or greater, it is killed outright."
Note the rule says "...an attack..." not from a weapon.
No weapon has the instant death rule, they don't have to, it is the strength of the attack that matters.
And this attack can come from either a weapon or from the Strength stat of a character.

The other exception that Culven noted is that some weapons or attacks might have a special rule that says they cause instant death regardless of the toughness of the target model. These weapons do indeed have a special instant death rule, but again, it is not required, it is an exception.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Jay » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:40 pm

Aye, well it he's finally agreed to it (This is after several times I've shown him). Now he's ticked at Marbo super sneakiness, that and I can field 3 squadrons of ballisks, if the points allowed me (He really hates ordnance).
Please excuse my chaotic spelling and grammar, I am Dyslexic, to my friends that means I am retarded and should always wear my water wings and helmet.

Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast
Jay
Veteran
Veteran

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby timewizard » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:10 am

Jay wrote:Aye, well it he's finally agreed to it (This is after several times I've shown him). Now he's ticked at Marbo super sneakiness, that and I can field 3 squadrons of ballisks, if the points allowed me (He really hates ordnance).

Tell him to read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

Then tell him Time Wizard's Maxim..."Do not hate your enemy's strengths, learn to exploit his weaknesses." (or keep that one for yourself! 8) )
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Cain Tiberius » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:54 am

timewizard wrote:
Jay wrote: I can field 3 squadrons of ballisks,

Then tell him Time Wizard's Maxim..."Do not hate your enemy's strengths, learn to exploit his weaknesses." (or keep that one for yourself! 8) )

Meltas and Krak Missiles be the order of the day :mrgreen:
My BA Blog

Semper Fidelis
Cain Tiberius
Enforcer
Enforcer

Medals: 12
Gold (2) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (8)
Blog: View Blog (36)

Return to 40K Rules

Social Links