Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Dark Eldar Kabal of Ipip

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Dark Eldar Kabal of Ipip

Postby timewizard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:01 am

Well, keeping a project log going seems to work very well for Talus (and others like Matt!) so I thought I would start one up for my newest Dark Eldar force.

I am still experimenting with color (colour :wink: ) schemes, so some of these are very WIP to try out how the different schemes work out, so C&C is most welcome.

First up is a Venom. I have 4 of these done, same basic scheme. They obviously need to be finished with some figures and some detail work, but so far I have this...

Then I have 1 of 3 ravagers done like this,
Image Image

The Razorwing flock is done in this color scheme,

And since the Scourges have undergone extensive body modification to enable them to "fly like birds", I wanted to carry the color scheme onto them,
Image Image

And before you say I have too much stuff WIP and nothing done (which would be correct :D ) I have this Khymera finised but for basing,
Image Image

So if nothing else, I think I'm at least off to a good start.
Have a ton built, have played about 15 games with them, and am now moving forward with painting.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Dark Eldar Kabal of I don't know what yet

Postby ruffian4 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:01 am

Ravager scheme is the bestest of the vehicles, imo.
Razorwing/scourges are very very pretty!
Khymera looks like its made of boiling blood which seems most spiffing.
Colour.
Good stuff, mate!
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Talus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:10 pm

the washes on the Scourges looks pretty good, blues always worked well on wings/aquilas over white base, though i might suggest picking out the individual feathers in a solid paint colour, for the upper wing (where the blue is darkest) you could try ice blue, and maybe white on the longer ones, just to give them a little more definition :)

are you planning any patterned detailing on the nose of the venom? im not really up to speed on dark eldar but do they ever use the lining like on the normal eldar falcon tanks? if you want something like that i can pass on a few tips :)

the ravager looks most manacing, the gold works quite well against the black and silver, though for the underfins you might want to add a highlight or a wash to make them stand out some more, or perhaps even some blood spatters where they've run people over :D

now the razorwings, you carried the washes quite well, though there does seem to be a few feathers out of place (in the picture its the one on the bottom left), its missing a row of purple ^^, with those i might recommend the same as the Scourges, just pick the feathers out with a complimenting colour :)

and lastly, the Khymera... were you watching Resident Evil by any chance? cause it looks like the mutant thing from the end of the film that tried to tongue Mila Jovovich o.O

timewizard wrote:Well, keeping a project log going seems to work very well for Talus

we all know that log is carried by your spamming of it wiz :P so in turn, i'll return the favor :D

first to 50 pages wins a cookie and beer of their choice!
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby timewizard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks!

@Talus, I can always use painting tips! Don't know about anything else on the front section yet. I wnat to get some more detailing done first, then I'll decide. As far as the Khymera, I wasn't watching RE at the time, though I do suffer from flashbacks! 8O

@Ruffian, still working out the final colour highlights of the warrior's and wyche's armour. :wink:
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby timewizard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:53 am

Bit of an update. I decided against the purple of the razorwing flock for the scourges and instead finished their wings off with a blue-green color.

Image Image

Also got a bit more done on the venom. Got the gunner finished off putting her in the same blue uniform of the pilot.

If it seems like I didn't get much done on the venom, consider that I had more than 1 to do.

Still trying to figure out what I want to do with them from this point. Dabbing on some blood color on the blades under the venom is a good start, but doesn't help with the colors to use on the hull, if any. I'm kind of liking the white/black combo but am still a bit undecided.

And last but not least, base coat and pilot to the jetfighter done. And on the shelf under it are its missiles.

timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:21 am

Keep going....
Liking the blue green wings really effective (isn't that an eldar craftworld scheme though???)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KInG » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 am

looking good so far john but all a little too bright and colourful for my kabal... im looking for something more dark and sinister
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Well I still have to finish up my raiders, warriors and wyches!
They're base coated in primer red then highlighted.
I wanted the Scourges to be done in bright light colors since by their fluff they're very protective of their altered forms and prefer to engage the enemy at range. I wanted them to be a visual focal point for my opponents so that while they are concentrating on the scourges, the wyches will run in and decimate their force!

I was trying to achieve an almost "harlequin with wings" look without the circus colorations.

@KMB - It's close, Alaitoc is a primarily blue scheme with yellow helmets. I liked the blue for the wings because I was using red for my warriors and wanted something a bit different. The yellow for the helmets was inspired by yellow bills of many birds.
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby KInG » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:49 pm

looking forward to the next installment ;)
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby ruffian4 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:13 pm

timewizard wrote:The yellow for the helmets was inspired by yellow bills of many birds.

What are these women charging you for and should you be leaving a paper trail like this? :|
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby timewizard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:31 pm

ruffian4 wrote:
timewizard wrote:The yellow for the helmets was inspired by yellow bills of many birds.

What are these women charging you for and should you be leaving a paper trail like this? :|

Ah, yes! Forgot to check my English/American dictionary! :D

A duck sat in a bar(pub). His friend(mate) strolled in and ordered a beer(pint). The bartender(proprietor) said that'll be 2 bucks(1 and 6).
The duck said, "That's ok, it's on me, just put it on my bill!" :lol:
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby ruffian4 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 am

timewizard wrote:A duck (cricket term, meaning a batsman dismissed without scoring any runs, non-medical term for irritable bowels)) sat in a bar(pub) (bar, an object to smite ones enemies, or to lean against, whilst inebriated, it is not possible to sit "in" a bar). His friend(mate) strolled in and ordered a beer(pint) (by ordering a beer, you do not specify a quantity then???). The bartender(proprietor) (barman/woman/Al Murray) said that'll be 2 bucks (= Buckinghamshire, a county near TWAT HQ) (1 and 6). (this is probably some kind of confusion, based on the very odd system of not quantifying ammounts of fermented liquids)
The duck said, "That's ok, it's on me, just put it on my bill!" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUdaPNXC_68

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 am

proprietor!?

I think the Khymera is great.

I agree with the others that the scourges looks too light. They need some depth to them and some deeper tones.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby timewizard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm

mattjgilbert wrote:I agree with the others that the scourges looks too light. They need some depth to them and some deeper tones.

I thing so too, I wanted to keep them light and bright, but I've added another couple of layers of wash so the tones are getting better.
WIll post some pics later today.

And just in case I ever make the drive over to the UK, what do you call the bartender?

And yeah, over here we just order a beer, not an amount.
Bars only serve beer in bottles or on tap, and tap beer is "small glass or large?"
Quantity served is one of those mysteries of the universe.
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby ruffian4 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:05 pm

I like the scourges, light and bright seems fine to me.
I did my swooping hawks in sky and bird plumage contrasts, though maybe dark eldar should be more "stormy weather."

timewizard wrote:
mattjgilbert wrote:And just in case I ever make the drive over to the UK, what do you call the bartender?

There is a quaint saying over here that goes like ... "Stitched up like a kipper."
This is a very good opportunity to demonstrate, perhaps ... when adressing a bar (person), the gentleman's ettiquette goes.

"Oi!!! Mush!"
"Oi! Slops!"
"Oi!" being a general term, used when attempting to gain the attention of another.
"Are you brewing it yourself?" always results in faster service and the following ...
"Who is that big fellow with the shaven head wearing what looks like a spiked dog-collar???"
Crump!
"I seem to have been ejected from this establishment."

Never enter an establishment advertising "dwile flonking."
If the floor is very sticky and you walk right out of your shoes, you are in a "proper pub." :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Next

Return to Project Logs

Social Links