Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Looking for some GK direction.

Discussion of anything 40K related

Looking for some GK direction.

Postby jlong05 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:28 pm

So. I have ammassed a large number of Inquisition, Grey Knights, and SM related vehicles that I am looking to convert into a somewhat viable(as well as fun/interesting) Grey Knights army. My goal is to have everything 100% legal, however I am more them willing to use models in varous alternative roles to ultimately have a very unique overall army with several available choices for play.

I was thinking that instead of me trying to create a army though, I would instead use my resources(friends) to help me create the best use for my available models with as minimal output of personal expense as possible. To that end, I am listing all my currently models and would like recommendations on what models to use in what unit types for possible converions(Thinking for Paladins, Purifiers, Interceptors as well as Inquisitors and Retinue options.) Point to note. ALL models are OLD Metals unless specifically indicated. IN fact, I have NO new GK plastics at all for foot models. Just a Dreadknight I believe, so I am mainly looking to convert metals into these new unit types wherever possible and realistic. I consider my skill of converting as Medium to Medium-High.

Vehicles:
Chimera (Assembled, Bolter/Lascannon, with FW Inquisition door and emblems)
5x OLD-Style Rhinos (Monstly assembled, but convertable still)
Throne of Judgement(NIB)
SM Dread(NIB)
FW Dread Body - (Bits to probably create parts for a complete model)
GK Dreadknight (NIB)

Figures
Custome/Converted
- Inquisitor/GK Grandmaster in TA. link
- Brotherhood Champion in PA with PSword and Strm Bolter

Inq/IG
Inq, PA, Book model
3x Psykers(2 OLD, one IG style)
Acolyte
Crusader
2x deamonhosts
Mystic
2x Eshers (1x heavy plasma, 1x Plasma Pistol and CCW)
Cawdor (Lasgun)
20x Beret Stormtroopers with gasmask headswaps(2 Vets, 2 Meltas, 2 Plamas, 14 Hell guns)
2x 3rd ed? Stormtroopers (1x vet Sarge, 1x Hellgun)
10x Kasrkin Stromtroopers (1 Vet, 1 Flamer, 1 Gernade, 7 Hellguns)
2x Assassins (Eveser, Vindicare)

SOB
6x Sisters (1 Superior, 1 melta, 4 bolters)
6x Sisters (1 Superior, 1 Bolter, 4 Hvy Bolters)
1 FW Immolator Upgrade kit?

GKs
Brother Captain Stern
2x GKTA Justicar
8x GKTA
5x GKTA with Incinerator
GKPA with Psycannon

8x GKPA Justicar
33x GKPA
12x GKPA with Incinerator
3x GKPA with Psycannon

5x GKPA Justicars (No CCW arm)
18x GKPA (No CCW arm)

I also have several Marines that can be canabalized as well as SM bits to maybe use for customized work.

Let me know what you think my best bet for units would be given my models and I will endeavhor to create them and do a blog here with that progress.

Thanks,
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: Looking for some GK direction.

Postby Ljundhammer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 am

Well, as no one else has answered...

I'd say the first thing you'll want is a Coteaz, that'll let you use all those weird models as accolytes.

Next thing I'd do is ensure that your dreads are converted up as psyflemen (dual twin linked autocannons with psycannon bolts), as they are the auto-take item in the codex.

Finally I'd think about making your rhinos into razorbacks. Most aren't that bad, but the passback (assault cannon with psycannon bolts) or heavybolter backs (with psycannon bolts) are popular along with the ubiquitous las/plas.

Once you've got that sorted then you have enough stuff to make a competative/semi-competative list.

I'd stay clear of incinerators outside of the jump pack chaps though...

Hope that helps & if you have more specific questions I'll try to help.

Oh, and your GrandMaster is wicked!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby jlong05 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:12 am

So am I best directed then to a henchman based list? Or would be be better served to forget them and look more at the GKPA units and try to maximize them for effectiveness?

I agree on the razorbacks, one question though is that since my existing models are significantly older, does anyone have a good recommendation for upgrades on thee older models for razorbacks? I would think that current upgrades won't mesh well, it if I remember right, the older versions didn't look as good in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments on the grandmaster. It's actually a conversion created 4 years ago now. I can't believe I never got around to doing anything with him.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Ljundhammer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:29 am

Well, it kind of depends. How competative an army are you looking for?

A competitive henchman army will involve a lot of flak armoured IG toting stormtroopers, so probably not your bag baby!

GK themselves are very forgiving as an army (in my understanding) and pretty much anything you think about while putting together won't be awful...

To be honest, outside of tournament play, pretty much all the henchmen (outside of arcos and daemonhosts) are pretty good & having the odd unit here or there won't be the end of the world.

Here are a couple of lists which I've paper-hammer-ed. These arn't designed to be uber competative, but make the most of the models I have hanging around (I have a lot of GKS and stormtroopers hanging around!) so you can at least get a flavour:

GK - 1750
Librarian - 180- hammerhand, sanctury, quicksilver - MC force halberd, 2 x servo skulls
Terminators - 225 - 5 x terminators, 1 x psycannon, mix of sticks
Strike squad - 195 - 5 x dudes, 1 x psycannon, all with swords - razorback - TLAC, psycannon bolts
Strike squad - 195 - 5 x dudes, 1 x psycannon, all with swords - razorback - TLAC, psycannon bolts
Strike squad - 160 - 5 x dudes, 1 x psycannon, all with swords - razorback - TLHB, psycannon bolts
Dreadnaught - 135 - psyfleman

Inquisition - 1750
Coteaz - 100
=][= - 52 - plasma pistol, power armour, servo skulls x 3
Henchmen - 125 - 7 x DCA - Chimera
Henchman - 222 - 9 x accolyte (all with carapace, 6 x hot shot lasguns, 3 x plasma gun), 1 x jokaero - chimera
Henchman - 222 - 9 x accolyte (all with carapace, 6 x hot shot lasguns, 3 x plasma gun), 1 x jokaero - chimera
Henchman - 125 - 5 x accolytes with stormbolters, 1 x Jokaero - chimera
Henchman - 125 - 5 x accolytes with stormbolters, 1 x Jokaero - chimera
Terminators - 225 - 5 x terminators, 1 x psycannon, mix of sticks
Interceptor squad - 290 - 10 x dudes, 2 x psycannons, 1 x hammer
Dreadnight - 130
Dreadnight - 130

Niether of these are particularly honed or competative, but I think they should do ok in a non-tournament scenario.
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby Spack » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 am

jlong05 wrote:I agree on the razorbacks, one question though is that since my existing models are significantly older, does anyone have a good recommendation for upgrades on thee older models for razorbacks? I would think that current upgrades won't mesh well, it if I remember right, the older versions didn't look as good in my opinion.

How old are your Rhinos? Unless they're RT era models, the current Razorback sprue will work fine. The RT models however have a smaller hatch, so the current hatches won't fit. The old RT Razorbacks had metal turrets that included a gunner, and were really far too big for the old Mk1 Rhino chassis.

Scratch building a gunshield along with a current weapon sprue is probably your best bet, or using existing spare parts. Do you have any spare weapons kicking around? The current Razorback is basically two weapons stuck together with a piece of armour over the top stuck onto a hatch ring which fits into the ring in the hatch (the Mk3 hatch has doors on one side, and a ring on the other), so any pair of heavy weapons that can sit on the hatch should look ok, and if you include the mounting ring in the turret then you could just magnetise it and not have to worry replacing the existing hatch.

Cain has a nice Razorback made out of a Storm Raven turret in his blog: blog/Cain+Tiberius/ba_blog_20th_july_dc__mk1_dc_rhinorazorback_b-43.html
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby jlong05 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 pm

The Rhinos I have are the version pictured above. So I guess RT era. I do like that turret design though. I may have to start digging through all my bits to see what I have available to use. More to come.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Spack » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 am

Yeah, the pic above is the old RT era Mk1 Razorback. I got rid of mine a few years ago, they're a lot smaller than the current MkIIc Rhino kits which have been around since 3rd edition.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links