Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Vehicle Classes

For discussing new rules and changes to the current rules, such as new homebrew datasheets for Apocalypse

Vehicle Classes

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:29 pm

I was thinking of making some house rules for Vehicle Classes. I see the broad categories as
Walker (can move in any direction)
Wheeled (faster but restricted on armor values)
Tracked (less likely to get caught in terrain and high armor)
Hover (This would be like LCACs not flying machines)
Skimmer
VTOL (Can move between Skimmer and Flyer rules)
Flyer

I would restrict vehicles to moving forward or backward only and wheeling like units in WHFB. Flyers can only move forward and skimmers can move side to side at reduced movement (like 1" of movement is 2" and can pivot in place).

What do you think? Is that too complex for a game as abstract as 40K?
Ben
High Lord of Terra
Brother-Captain

Postby Culven » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:44 pm

With a group of friends, I don't think it is too complicated. It would be nice to see a little more detail added back into the game.

Perhaps a complied set of "40K Advanced" rules as an add on to the basic rules could be a nice community project?
Culven
Commander, Catachan XIII "Black Cats"
Pray that a Black Cat never crosses your path.
Culven
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:39 pm

That would be a fun project.

I thought about it when I was talking to my wife about the 40K models. She pointed out that it is funny that most of my military models have wheels and 40K uses tracks. I tried to explain about the trade off in speed and maintenance and armor capabilities that real military planners will often make.

I won't go into the details of my views of bounding overwatch and center peel just yet. ;)

I was thinking of some of the changes for points. For instance is getting a 6" move during the assault phase worth more less or about the same as getting an extra die (and ignoring one) for terrain tests?
Ben
High Lord of Terra
Brother-Captain

Postby chromedog » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:08 am

Um, wasn't this covered in RT?

Back when there weren't any vehicle kits and you used what you had, so the rules covered most eventualities of modelling.

There are reasons that these rules are no longer used (besides the obvious GW hunger for $$).
That is not dead which can eternal lie

and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die
chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:42 am

Never played RT. Sorry.
Ben
High Lord of Terra
Brother-Captain

Postby chromedog » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:34 am

Well, Vehicles were pretty much divided into the types you listed, and they had differing sizes as well (there was a suggestion of using a Leviathan for fighting a battle - as the terrain/battlefield.

Back then, jetbikes had two flight modes (High - out of range of most weapons or ground skimmer) and different motive types had different abilities v terrain.

I'm tracking down my copy of the RT book to check some things and I'll get back to you.
That is not dead which can eternal lie

and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die
chromedog
Exarch
Exarch

Return to 40K Rules Development

Social Links