Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

How do I kill Mephiston???

Discussion of anything 40K related

How do I kill Mephiston???

Postby klueless » Tue May 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Hey Guys, it's me again.

As above, does anyone have any idea how to kill this dreaded Blood Angles Character???
He is really doing my head in. I'm thinking about using Chaos & throwing Abaddon at him. As far as I can see, he's got the best chance of killing him in combat. Mainly due to a 4+ Invulnerable save.
I've got Marines (Crimson Fists)
Imperial Guard
Tyranids
& Chaos at my disposal.
I really wanna kill him in combat, but hell. That initiative 7 is a killer!

Combat would be best, guns will do!
Help me guys!!!
klueless
Gaunt
Gaunt

Re: How do I kill Mephiston???

Postby lostandthedamned » Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Check Khan the Betrayer's rules.
If I recall correctly he's got some sort of bonus against Force weapons though I can't remember if it's as good as the one Chaos Daemons get (2+ inv against force weapons). He might just be immune to the instant death.... which makes no difference against S10.

If not then just deal with him the easy way.
3 Combined Imperial Guard infantry squads. (with at least 1 commisar)
Yes he can kill 5 or 6 guardsmen a turn, a whole 35 pts, but thats all he's doing for the game.
When you wish upon a star, your dreams can come true.
Unless it's a meteorite falling to Earth, which will destroy all life, then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
Unless it's death by meteorite.
lostandthedamned
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Baragash » Tue May 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Shoot him with AP1&2 weapons. For Guard this is fairly easy with Vet suicide squads.

Kharn can't be FW'd but he'll probably still get smooshed.

Swarmlord should stand a decent chance, ofc Shadow in the Warp needs to be nearby.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby Stunty » Tue May 15, 2012 11:25 pm

I've only fought him once but killed him in 1 round of combat with a succubus (she died) and hekatrix (both had agonisers) not that that helps.
I'd probably try to shoot him rather than combat him.
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby Ljundhammer » Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 am

It depends on the mobility of your army.

If you're fairly static, you'll need to kill him. Bolters are irrelevent, you need specials & heavies. Plasma's you're best bet, but it's rare that plasma is that abundent, so meltas then about 7 shots (14 if he's in cover) should do the job...

But really he's generally used as a distraction (although a highly destructive one). If you're shooting him, you aren't shooting scoring units. And if he's got mephiston, he's one scoring unit down already. If you're mobile enough you can just feed him something each turn, as long as you have a hood, his destructive power is really limited - he can only kill one thing (or unit) a turn & if he's walking, then you can dictate what that is.

Don't try to beat him in combat. Aside from a couple of extraordinary anecdotes, all you'll get is your face smashed in.
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby Red Devil » Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 pm

If its my Mephiston, just sit back, light the cigar and watch him Perils himself to death!?

Failing that, LH's ideas are sound (as always)!
Red Devil
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby ruffian4 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Hmmmm, yes that sounds perilously (ouch) like my farseers career path which he didn't see coming.

I beat him up a couple of weeks ago with a chaos dread after he fluffed his s10 thong.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby killmaimburn » Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Don't beat him, use your nids or guard to tarpit the crap out of him with something worth less than 250 points that won't auto fail leadership tests.
(edit did LH say that but longer??)
commisar stubborn blob with 3 squads will tie him down for the game.. anything hoody would be a good idea too to reduce his movement..
Remove from play rather than instant death (is that still viable) would be a good idea too.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby paulmc » Wed May 16, 2012 10:18 pm

does mephiston have an invulnerable save? reading his stats he looks like a combat monster but if hes on his own couldnt u just hit him with a mob of orks led by a nob with a power klaw, he cant target the nob because its not an independent character, and the nob is going to get some wounds in with no armour saves so he kills 5 orks a turn but suffers a couple of wounds on average, dead in three rounds unless ive missed something obvious
paulmc
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby Baragash » Thu May 17, 2012 7:37 am

He'll kill a Trukk mob in 2 turns and it'll be difficult to get a larger mob into combat with him due to Wings.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby paulmc » Thu May 17, 2012 10:02 am

put 20 boyz in a battlewagon, or use 20 stormboyz who have the range to hunt him down, I havent come up against mephi yet but the hardest character I have found to kill is castellan crowe (GK) I had two rounds of shooting at him (about 120 shots) and two rounds of hand to hand and failed to take a single wound off him
paulmc
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby Ljundhammer » Thu May 17, 2012 10:45 am

Red Devil wrote:If its my Mephiston, just sit back, light the cigar and watch him Perils himself to death!?

This is true. I've played against him 3 times in the new codex. In that time he periled 7 times.

KMB's point about tarpitting is very true - I forgot that despite it being my own main tactic for neutering combat monsters with my guard army!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby Cobby » Thu May 17, 2012 7:58 pm

He is 250 pts and can not join other squads so the rest of his army will be a small force so just use a Vet Chaos Squad in a rhino with some plasma guns - should kill him in 1 go then not much left too fight.
Cobby
One with No Soul
Shas'la

Postby Herne » Sat May 19, 2012 1:38 pm

If you're playing a savvy player, they'll keep him hidden from shooting until he's ready to leap out of cover with his flight power and fleet toward combat where he pretty much reigns. I've seen a lot of players hide him behind a land-raider or other suitable vehicle where he can travel at the same speed, then when ready pop out / over it and fleet/assault.

Key points are: No inv - so as Cobby says plasma spam death, las cannons - anything that'll cause high strength / no save, but also a nice little treat for him that I like, if using chaos, is a couple of 2 man obliterator units that can deepstrike next to him if he's behind rolling cover, then empty twin-linked plasmas into him. Tends to offend, and can't be avoided by hiding behind tanks, unless he's in actual cover anyway.
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links