Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

6th Edition and my Necrons

Discussion of anything 40K related

6th Edition and my Necrons

Postby DaBoss » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:13 am

So with the new Rulebook out and in my hands, slowly making my way through all the rule changes - I've decided to start the new edition off playing either my Necrons or Space Marines (we are running a Badab War campaign at the club and I'll be taking the Tyrants Legion which is mix of Space Marines and Guard Auxiliaries).

To start with how is the new rules affecting my Necrons?

1-Guass weapons are going to be horrible to vehicles, glancing hits on a 6 to penetrate will cause a hull point loss. 20 man unit of Nwcron Warriors at long range 20 shots 2/3 hit 1/6 to glance (with chance to penetrate against low armour vehicles) that's 2 hull points gone, likely to get a further turn of shooting, or worse at rapid fire double the chance.

2-if I'm charged by those assault type units, I get to overmatch with rapid fire Guass, 40 shots it's going to hurt. Still I'm going to lose the warriors if the enemy make it through.

3-Disembark is now a move of 6" from the exit point, before you had to fit everyone in 2" from the exit, which meant a maximum of 15 warriors, now I can drop out a full squad of 20 plus Lord

4-Scarab swarms are Beasts, so now move 12" and not slowed by difficult terrain, plus have fleet plus have 'move through cover' so ignore Dangerous Terrain effects!!
Fancy a threat range of 30"!!! I'm going tank hunting, especially as moving vehicles are WS 1, so 3+ to hit...

5-Deep strike mishap is less fatal than before so my Veil of Darkness is now a 1/6 chance of dying, but with shooting ranges increased my Immortals don't need to get within 12" after moving. I'm seriously only considering the veil use for objective grabbing or going after soft targets. Otherwise Immortals may as well move up with the rest of the force.

6-Doomscythe is going to be fun being a flyer can zoom 36" and still fire both weapons, no one will be safe from the Death Ray, then will be 6's to hit unless you have dedicated Skyfire or flyers of your own. Guess who will be my priority target?

That's all for now, still plenty of rules to digest, also work out what effect they have on my Tyrant Legion?
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Blog: View Blog (43)

Re: 6th Edition and my Necrons

Postby Baragash » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:16 am

I saw it suggested that one of the SCs can be used to add Tank Hunters to a squad which would make (1) even more horrible.

Tyrant's Legion -> one of the benefits is you don't need the Tyrant's Legion list to make it legal and playable, so if you aren't using any really unique units (like the mercs) you can play it with standard SM + IG codex and not be stuck with lame signature units *looks pointedly at Iron Hunter bike squads*
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:18 am

DaBoss wrote:3-Disembark is now a move of 6" from the exit point, before you had to fit everyone in 2" from the exit, which meant a maximum of 15 warriors, now I can drop out a full squad of 20 plus Lord

Plus bits you might not have spotted for your army, no more rhino zoom to contest your objective, vehicles can't even contest anymore.Old skool necrons didn't spend too much time in the monolith so are basically unaffected by the going back to 4th ed of you must jump out your vehicle last turn..
Should be V possible to have 25% obscured for your new shiny stuff..
Firing snap shots from passengers in opentopped at cruising speed which is obscured..yummy.

DaBoss wrote:2-if I'm charged by those assault type units, I get to overmatch with rapid fire Guass, 40 shots it's going to hurt. Still I'm going to lose the warriors if the enemy make it through.
Even with the hammer of wrath the swooping MCs and FNP working in close combat a lot of the time, I really see this as edition anti close combat;
Small elite low T e.g. banshees- can't sneak up in a transport,to charge they have to have got out the previous turn and march into at least 2 turns of fire.
My Bikes only turbo 12 (although jetbikes can move really fast and jetseers and nob bikers are listed as (CH) in back so can still play some wound allocations)..
Jump troops with people being removed front to back,extra turn shooting , less cover and generic enemy able to fallback withering fire with heavy weapons if needs must= wowsers.(also all-drop lists are dead due to 50% reserves rule..which may effect you if your used to playing reserve shenanigans (poor eldar))
Do I read it right that vehicles may only move 6"s if they intend to disembark.. so again shooting out open topped=good, trying to get near someone V V bad.
Basically fear termies thats all... can you rock much AP2? (I can't see warscythyes I presume they're AP2?)

Doomsday and other ark having landraider Hit points 8O
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ogregut » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:08 am

Scarbs only have a threat range of 24" as you cant assult after fleet, it just allows you to re-roll assult range.

I agree tho Necrons are nasty. Stripping hull points easily, shooting rapid fire at full range after moving, AP 1 warscythes, no modifiers for AP - weapons and the doomscythe is the best flyer at the mo as the deathray is pretty much a 360 degree weapon while other flyers have a very limited arc of fire.

Looking forward to the rise of the tomb worlds!
Yes I study Psychology, no I can't read your mind.........yet!

Devlin mud, painting armies since 2008!
Ogregut
Exarch
Exarch

Postby timewizard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:26 pm

DaBoss wrote:To start with how is the new rules affecting my Necrons?

1-Gauss weapons are good, but the warrior's gauss flayer is still only S4, so against armor 11 or better will have no effect. Also, the Monolith now 4 hull points so can finally be glanced to death!

2-Remember that overwatch is a snap shot, BS1 so requires a '6' to hit. But yes, overwatcch helps armies against cc hordes!

3-Agree that you can now get a 20 man warrior squad out of the Monolit's portal with no problem.

4-As KMB noted, you cannot assault after running, so certain fleet units took a hit, notable Dark Eldar and the combat drug that allowed the unit to roll 3D6 and take the highest when running. Makes it pretty useless now. :(

5-Yes, the reduction to dying from a deep strike mishap does make the veil option a bit better, sepecially late in the game.

6-All the zooming flyers are going to be fun to watch and to play in this edition.

I'm liking the new rules myself, for the most part. There are some items that I hope will be FAQ'd, but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out after a few games. Good luck with your Necrons!
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jlong05 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 pm

timewizard wrote:
DaBoss wrote:To start with how is the new rules affecting my Necrons?

1-Gauss weapons are good, but the warrior's gauss flayer is still only S4, so against armor 11 or better will have no effect. Also, the Monolith now 4 hull points so can finally be glanced to death!

Doesn't gauss still auto hit on 6's and therefor get an auto glance? Can't remember if that changed in the recent codex or how the rule affects are done in 6ed. Maybe its on 6's to penetrate its an auto glance. Either way, that was always the cool gauss ability that even lowbie warriors could glance Raiders.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks jlong, my mistake.

The gauss weapon still rolls to hit, any armor penetration roll of a '6' will indeed cause a glancing hit, regardless of the vehicles AV.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby DaBoss » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Ogregut wrote:Scarbs only have a threat range of 24" as you cant assult after fleet, it just allows you to re-roll assult range.

I agree tho Necrons are nasty. Stripping hull points easily, shooting rapid fire at full range after moving, AP 1 warscythes, no modifiers for AP - weapons and the doomscythe is the best flyer at the mo as the deathray is pretty much a 360 degree weapon while other flyers have a very limited arc of fire.

Looking forward to the rise of the tomb worlds!

Very true, so many changes to rules, so Fleet let's you reroll 1 dice in your charge, makes the chances of reaching better.

Looking at Monoliths, what's not to like, AV14, 4 Hull points and 4 guass guns that can fire along with the main weapon, though if I read it right these will have to snap fire?
Still that's 4 x 3 shots @6's which can glance on a penetration roll of 6.

One thing with the Doomscythe, the Death Ray is now a 1mm width template, so can't be used against other fliers?
So only Teslas can be used against enemy fliers, can the tesla effect still target other units in 6"?

As to enemy Terminators, guess the Destroyer Lord is still ready to do the business, str7 AP1 nasty hitting before the power fists.
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby timewizard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 pm

DaBoss wrote: so Fleet let's you reroll 1 dice in your charge, makes the chances of reaching better.

But reaching what?

You can't shoot if you run, fleet just lets you re-roll 1 die from run or charge moves, but units that run can no longer assault.
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby Ogregut » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Fleet allows you to re-roll one or more dice when running and charging.

It makes jump troops with fleet (helions for example) very good as you can use the jump pack (skyboard) to move 12" and use the fleet to re-roll the charge. You wont get the Hammer of Wrath impact hit but can get a big charge.

Also a Monolith is Heavy so cannot move fast than 6", or move flat out but always counts as being stationary for shooting its weapons.

Ogregut
Exarch
Exarch

Postby TheColonel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Why can't the death ray be used on flyers, there is nothing that seems to be restricting it....
"Crom, i've never prayed to you before, i have no tongue for it.
No-one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought and why we died.
All that matters is that two stood against many, thats whats important.
Valor pleases you lord Crom so grant me one thing, grant me revenge.
And if you do not listen....then to hell with you!"
TheColonel
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Ogregut » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:21 pm

TheColonel wrote:Why can't the death ray be used on flyers, there is nothing that seems to be restricting it....

As long as the flyer is in skyfire mode it can hit other flyers.

Ogregut
Exarch
Exarch

Postby DaBoss » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Ogregut wrote:
TheColonel wrote:Why can't the death ray be used on flyers, there is nothing that seems to be restricting it....

On page 81, Hard to Hit last sentence.
Template, Blast and Large Blast weapons cannot hit Flyers in Zoom mode.

The Death Ray is treated as being a 1mm width template weapon with a range of 3d6 inches.
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby DaBoss » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Ogregut wrote:Fleet allows you to re-roll one or more dice when running and charging.

It makes jump troops with fleet (helions for example) very good as you can use the jump pack (skyboard) to move 12" and use the fleet to re-roll the charge. You wont get the Hammer of Wrath impact hit but can get a big charge.

Also a Monolith is Heavy so cannot move fast than 6", or move flat out but always counts as being stationary for shooting its weapons.

Even better news, with the Monolith counting as 'Heavy Tank' it only moves 6" (never could move any faster) but all weapons fire at full effect at BS and can be different targets....even after Deep Striking.
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Postby soulflame » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:39 am

DaBoss wrote:
Ogregut wrote:

On page 81, Hard to Hit last sentence.
Template, Blast and Large Blast weapons cannot hit Flyers in Zoom mode.

The Death Ray is treated as being a 1mm width template weapon with a range of 3d6 inches.

Incorrect...it is just a line with a width of 1mm it does not state that it is a template at all....this is via the Necron FAQ posted on GWs webpage....so yes it should be able to target fliers....or at least this is my understanding of it....
soulflame

Next

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links